Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2005, 02:14 PM
Samwan Offline

FC4 installation stucks on sym53c8xx

Hello:

My FC4 installation stucks at loading the sym53c8xx driver... The SCSI card that I am using is Tekram DC-390U3. I am currently running the kernel 2.4.29; the chips are reported as sym53c1010-33. Can anybody help?

Thank you!

-- S
Old 6th December 2005, 03:01 PM
jamdusr Offline

If you don't need scsi then I would choose not to load scsi during the install, and then go back to getting it to work after you've got a successful install.
If you do need it-assuming the drive you want to install to is scsi-then you need to choose the
expert option during install and see if you can find a scsi driver that will load.
Use the <F2> thru <F4> function keys at the installer. Good luck!

Last edited by jamdusr; 6th December 2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 6th December 2005, 06:32 PM
Samwan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamdusr
If you don't need scsi then I would choose not to load scsi during the install, and then go back to getting it to work after you've got a successful install.
If you do need it-assuming the drive you want to install to is scsi-then you need to choose the
expert option during install and see if you can find a scsi driver that will load.
Use the <F2> thru <F4> function keys at the installer. Good luck!
I do need scsi, my system disks are on scsi. Tried expert + noprobe options, but have not found a sutable alternative driver. In my currently running system, it is well sym53c8xx that is running ok. Worth trying FC3? I think that substituting the kernel in FC4 would work, but looks complicated to me... Thanks.
Old 19th December 2005, 10:11 PM
Z06 Offline

I am having the same issue on my HP NetServer LH6000 equipped with two 18gb SCSI drives, ten 36gb SCSI drives, four 700Mhz Xeon CPUs, and 2gb RAM. All twelve of the SCSI hard drives are connected through the RAID card rather than the SCSI card, so do I even need a SCSI driver? The two 18gb SCSI drives are in a RAID1 mirror set to be used for the OS. The ten 36gb SCSI drives are in a RAID5 group set to be used for the home drive.
Old 20th December 2005, 06:41 AM
OdinTrisk Offline

There was a known issue in the 2.6.x series with this card. I did a CentOS 4 install, so whatever kernel that uses after install was a problem.

2.6.12.2 sym53c8xx works on my 4way HP Netserver.

I had a HP Fibrechannel card and RAID array box, Linux (2.6 at least, maybe 2.4 does still) does not currently support this driver anymore due to the excessive kernel stack usage inside the driver. I cant remember what it was, it was a Tekoldyle or something host adaptor. This was a different driver to the SymBIOS.

Z06 - If the RAID1 card uses a different device driver and you have no disks at all attached to the SymBIOS, no you dont need it, remove / comment out the line in /etc/modules.conf and rebuild initrd (mkinitrd).
Old 20th December 2005, 06:43 PM
Z06 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinTrisk
Z06 - If the RAID1 card uses a different device driver and you have no disks at all attached to the SymBIOS, no you dont need it, remove / comment out the line in /etc/modules.conf and rebuild initrd (mkinitrd).
All twelve of my disks are attached to the NetRAID card. Perhaps I just haven't let the "Loading sym53c8xx driver..." screen sit there long enough.

Tags
fc4, installation, stucks, sym53c8xx