Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th December 2003, 10:05 AM
D@ Mick Offline

emu10k1 installation

Hi, I'm having problems with installing the emu10k1 for my soundblaster 5.1 Live.
Without installing it I allready have sound through my sattelites but the rear left en right don't go as loud as the 2 fronts.
Or don't have to install it, just adjust a configuration ore something?
Old 14th December 2003, 05:42 PM
Wrayman Offline

funny work around

I also had problems with the emu10k1 driver. I found that the module options don't load dynamically. In other words, when the driver is loaded automatically via the
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
entry in /etc/modules.conf, it loads without processing any of the associated post-install or pre-remove parameters. I found that they would load properly when root manually loaded the module. To accomplish this automatically, I entered the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
su - root -c "modprobe emu10k1"
This is severely goofy and I hope that the right people are already working on the issue.
Old 14th December 2003, 07:24 PM
D@ Mick Offline

well, I tryed like you said by adding that line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but I still no changes.
The volume in the rear spreakers are still weak.

Somebody who can help me???
Old 14th December 2003, 07:49 PM
prisen Offline

alsamixer will fix your problem, on my Audigy (also emu10k1 driver) it is PCM rear that fixes it, just up that one a bit.
Old 14th December 2003, 08:38 PM
D@ Mick Offline

I allready fixed the problem on my RH9 machine but I can't remember where I did it. I know I altered a config file and set the audio output to 6 channels ore something.
Anybody knows the specifics?
Old 15th December 2003, 01:07 AM
Wrayman Offline

My reply above was incomplete. I still had to set my audio preferences how I wanted them via other means. Specifically in my case, I was enabling bass and treble control which is off my default. I installed the emu-tools package to enable this. Your surround features might need emu-tools as well. In any case, In my experience, once I had my preferences the way I wanted, I had to take the steps outlined above so that I could make them permanent. I hope this is helpful.

Of course, as someone else suggested, ALSA may be a good answer. I have never used it personally but by most accounts, it is superior. It will also be the default sound engine in the 6.x kernel if I am not mistaken.
Old 15th December 2003, 02:09 AM
prisen Offline

yeah, I highly recommend ALSA. I was too much of a moron to see that you were using OSS, sorry. Anywho, little "tweaking" is necessary once you get ALSA up and running, mainly just modifying modprobe.conf or modules.conf.

Tags
emu10k1, installation