Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:26 PM
pamount Offline

PHPEclipse and Apache on Fedora Core 3

Hi

My Windows version of Apache 1.3.29 (for development of PHP 4x on my localhost) is giving me too much trouble, I'm having to re-install it more often now. I'm stuck with this version of Apache because that's what the web host uses (I don't have a choice with web hosts because it's not my site).

I've recently done a Workstation instal of Fedora Core 3 on my other hard drive. Would this version of Apache be more stable on Fedora? I've been using the PHPEclipse plugin with Eclipse on Windows. I notice there's 3 Linux versions of Eclipse list at:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php

Would I need the "Linux (x86/GTK 2)" version of Eclipse? I have a Pentium 2-350 with 448Mb of PC-100 SDRAM.

I know there's probably other ide's/development tools I could use for PHP on Fedora but it's an emergency (I need to put up a new blog for the web site) and I don't want to cope with learning too much at once. We recently officially started learning to use Fedora in my IT class.

Thanks

pamount

Last edited by pamount; 3rd May 2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:34 PM
AndyGreen Offline

Why are you really stuck with that version of Apache? If I were in your situation as described, I would install the optimum version of Apache for my platform (and that is currently the Fedora httpd package, which is Apache 2.0.52) and take care to use a 1.3-compatible featureset. Similarly, if you want an easy time, you will be using php 4.3.11 on Fedora from the php package. Then it will "just work".

That version of Eclipse you mention sounds like it stands a reasonable chance of working and presumably also means you won't have to install Java.
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:41 PM
pamount Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreen
Why are you really stuck with that version of Apache?
Hi.

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll download that version of Eclipse.

I'm "stuck with that version of Apache" because I'm dead set on testing in an environment that's the same as the target server. I know I could do as you say and install a newer version of Apache on my home computer. But I'd be paranoid I'd make some mistake on my home computer that wouldn't be picked up until after the files are uploaded.

Thanks and have a good day

pamount
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:57 PM
AndyGreen Offline

Well, you need to increase your paranoia to consider all the possible configuration and enviroment differences between your system and the final system. It seems a good way to deal with the uncertainty is to get your stuff working well using a common subset of HTML and PHP that you know is supported by all versions of Apache and PHP, and then upload to the final server and aggressively test and fix over there.

Or, abandon your local httpd and php completely and do all your work on the remote server. (If you have ssh access to the remote server this can be very convenient indeed using, for example, KDE fish:// ). It seems either of these methods is better than the false comfort of believing you have reproduced the final system in a complete way when it is likely not true.

Anyway, good luck with whatever method you choose and you have a good day too.

Tags
apache, core, fedora, phpeclipse