Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2005, 05:05 PM
mohelgamal Offline

un able to save setting under root

hi
I am a newbie to linux, I was palying around with distros learing tricks to make things going
one of the tricks I learned is creating a file association through kde component in control center, in order to make specific extension run by aspecific program. and it was working with other distros.

Now on my recent FC3 installation the system refuses to remembr any of these setting, it is forgotten as I leave the control center, I also tried OPEN WITH and the option of remember the program association, in both cases the computer tells me it is updating the data base then nothing happens.

I am trying to make xine which I installed from downloaded rpm packages run all vedio files, because all other programs who came with the installation (noatun, kaboodle and helix) refuse to run anything of any kind. even media player 10.0.0.4 (also installed) refuses to run its origninal RM format.

I now open files every time by writing xine in the open with and it works succesfully.

and Of course I am logged as Root all the time.

thank you
Old 14th May 2005, 08:20 AM
mohelgamal Offline

may I revive my post any help
thanks
Old 14th May 2005, 03:35 PM
jonest Offline

Have you tried it as a non root user? Of course, you understand it is not a good thing to be running as root.

I've seen this issue on other threads, though I do not have the problem with FC3. My only guess is that possibly root acts a certain way which is different than a regular user under kde.

Tags
root, save, setting