Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2005, 11:47 PM
CyberSoldier Offline

Install error, not enough space on a 40GB

Hello,
I am trying to install Fedora care 2 on a 700mhz AMD, 192mb RAM, 40GB HDD computer. This computer had Fedora running on it once before so I know this should work. I start the install process and when it asks me what kind of a installation type I choose custom, because I will like to eventually use this for a web server, but for now I just want it up to play with it. I then choose for an automatic partition, this is not a dual boot box, just fedora installed. I get to the disk setup screen and I choose to remove all partitions on this system, then I see the following:
/dev/hda
/dev/hda1 /boot 100mb
/dev/hda2 / 37000mb ext3
/dev/hda3 swap 512mb
I click next, I select the boot loader, there is only one there. After I choose my packages, the computer starts to install them. When the screen says 'Transferrin install image to hard drive.... this gets only half way and errors out saying that I do not have enough HDD space. I have tried 3 different hard drives, manually partition and even installing the min amount of packages. Please help me, this is driving me crazy!!!
Old 19th March 2005, 11:56 PM
tiberiu Offline

Hi!

are the CD's well written, without any errors?
I did not understand, have you tried to a manually partition also and it did not work?

powered by FC4
Registered Linux User: #376611
Bucharest, Romania
Old 20th March 2005, 03:28 AM
CyberSoldier Offline

All the CD's are fine, I even went out and download Fedora care 2 over againa nd burnered that to a new disc. I have tried the linux rescue option and that did not work either. When I manually do it, it still gives me the same set up of partitions:
/dev/hda1 /boot 100mb
/dev/hda2 / 37000mb ext3
/dev/hda3 swap 512mb
Old 20th March 2005, 03:42 AM
james_in_denver Offline

Okay, you might want to try this:

Load FC cdrom 1, and at the "linux" prompt, type in "linux rescue".

Answer all of the prompts until you get to the command line prompt "#"

then "fdisk /dev/hda" and manually create the partitions.

"w" in fdisk at the end to "write"/save your changes.

then "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1", "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda2", "mkswap /dev/hda3".

reboot....

continue the install normally, except this time DO NOT choose automatically partition, instead, "edit" the partition layout on the next screen, assign "/dev/hda1" to boot and "/dev/hda2" to root (based on your first post).

Try continuing the install, let me know how it goes. You might also try installing from the "text" mode. It will use less memory and swap. (yes, the fedora releases are getting a little "fat" as far as memory usage goes.)

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 20th March 2005, 08:32 PM
CyberSoldier Offline

I tried running Linus rescue and the only prompts it asks me is what language keyboard. After that, a bunch of text flys by and it says it is safe to reboot my computer, I get no '#' symbol. I tried typing in fdisk /dev/hda and it does nothing.
Old 21st March 2005, 03:28 AM
CyberSoldier Offline

I have written zeros to the HDD again using Maxtor utilities. I have run DFT on the drive and the drive passes. I have verified that the disc is good. I have even downloaded and burned a new one. I have tried different HDD's. I then tried to manually create partitions again using disk druid. I created two partitions, one swap of size 512mb and the other as / 'root' for the rest of the space, being about 38GB. I get the same error, 'your HDD is full' when fedora trys to transfer everything to install, any have any other suggestions, please?
Old 21st March 2005, 04:03 AM
w5set Offline

Are you clicking on the use existing partitions or use empty space choice?
note--won't be much empty space left over--use the "use existing partitions"
Old 21st March 2005, 04:31 AM
CyberSoldier Offline

I tell it to remove all partitions and recreate them.
Old 23rd March 2005, 03:19 AM
CyberSoldier Offline

Today I tried using smaller partions, only 7GB big, I still got the same error. I then downloaded Fedora Core 3 and I still got the same error. Any one?
Old 23rd March 2005, 03:32 AM
w5set Offline

Just a quick question---are the hard drive and cd-rom on the same cable?
Old 23rd March 2005, 03:44 AM
CyberSoldier Offline

No they are not. The HDD is the primary master and the CD-ROM drive is the secondary master
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:25 AM
w5set Offline

Well--I hate to suggest this on a Fedora forum--but, sometimes after FC SELinux sets up a hard drive, it can't rewrite to the partition table. I use (don't flame me for doing this either--cuz it works) the setup/install from Slackware--at least to the point of after having it write a complete blank partition table to the disk. Then I just hit the reset switch and take the Slack CD out and insert the FC disk 1 and it will go ahead and repartition just fine. Works when Mandrake has same trouble--or you have used Partition Magic on the disk too,and as far as Linux goes--there isn't any "Magic" in that particular program, just problems with heads set to larger then 256 in number.
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:33 AM
CyberSoldier Offline

I thank you for the reply, I went to slackware's website and I do not understand what I need to download to burn on CD. Could you please advise me on what I need. Thank you.l
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:39 AM
nordicart Offline

Hi,
This may be a stupid question, but did you select a fle system type for the /boot partition?
I only run a workstation, but, from what I remember from installation, you need to specify the file system for each partition.
In the installation process, the first thing it does is to write to the /boot partition. If the partition is not formatted, it can not write to it. The program may interpret not being able to write to equal not enough disk space.

Last edited by nordicart; 23rd March 2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:52 AM
w5set Offline

Try
http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub...install-d1.iso
for the first iso image-
I know it's heresy--BUT!
then use autopartitioning choice in FC.

Last edited by w5set; 23rd March 2005 at 04:53 AM. Reason: adding:

Tags
40gb, error, install, space