Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th February 2005, 01:55 AM
Captain Tom USA Offline

Cannot connect to the internet

I've installed Fedore Core 3, and gone through the internet connection wizard, entered all the correct information, but when i go to dial up, I keep getting an error message that it cannot connect to bellsouth error #8. Could not even find out what error #8 is. Can someone help me PLEASE??? Thanks for taking the time to even read this.

Captain Tom USA
Old 20th February 2005, 05:10 PM
tashirosgt Offline

If you have a built-in modem, you may have to install a module for it. You'll should try to find a forum message that deals with your particular brand. If it is a serial modem, you should be able to get it to work without any software.
Try rujnning kppp from the command line. You have to configure it. Do it manually, don't use a wizard.
Bring eth0 down if your ethernet is up. Use, as root:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
Then run:
kppp
Old 24th February 2005, 10:18 PM
Captain Tom USA Offline

I've tried your suggestion but cannot find kppp file. I've done a complete search of all files, does kppp come with fedora core 3? Maybe it's on the dvd that came with it, I only installed all files of the 2 cd's. Don't have dvd on my pc. Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 26th February 2005, 06:18 PM
tashirosgt Offline

On my FC3 the command
locate kppp
tells me it is /usr/bin/kppp (and I checked, it is).

I have never used the internet connection wizard. Unless the wizard write some errors to a log file, it is hard to diagnose the problem. But the first question is what kind of modem do you have?
Old 26th February 2005, 06:55 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

kpp is in the KDE network (kdenetwork) RPM package.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:

Tags
connect, internet