Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 31st January 2005, 06:09 AM
skoona Offline

Post GkrellFahCS, gkrellmd plugin for Folding@home clients

gkrellfahCS plugin

This package is a plugin for the popular gkrellm and gkrellmd system monitors. As a plugin it monitors the execution state of the Stanford Folding@home linux clients on one or more machince. While gkrellfah2 has been around for several months; what new is the client/server version recently implemented using gkrellmd.

Now from one desktop linux machine you can monitor eight or more other linux machine that are working the F@H workload.

I am very interested to see what other people thing of this new tool. I found it to be an interesting programming execise.

Package Name: gkrellfahCS on Sourceforge.net

James,
:cool:Registered Linux User #270764
Folding@home Team: 37988 FedoraFolders
Author: GFHCM Folding@Home Monitor
Author: GapcMon - UPS Status Monitor
Contributor: GIW - Gtk Instrumentation Library
Old 31st January 2005, 05:15 PM
jtang613 Offline

Very cool. Nice work.
Old 31st January 2005, 06:04 PM
skoona Offline

Thanks for the comment.

FYI: I included a local log file of completed work units; that I did not mention in my docs. One record is added to the file every time a workunit is completed. However, one file is created for every F@H client and placed in that clients directory; '/fah_path/gfah2CS.log' is the logfile name on the same machine as gkrellmd. This file include data labels so you know what the values are.

I mention this now because I am working on collecting those files into a central log to be placed in the clients home directory "~/gfah2CS-central.log", on the gkrellm machine. This will be a coded file (i.e. no labels) and I plan to create a configuration tab titled "Central Log" to contain a viewer of all completed work units monitored from all gkrellmd systems.

Version 0.1.2 will have this "Central Log" tab as a update; and may take another week or two to create.

Version 0.1.1 will simply have the central log file collected, waiting for me to create the tab viewer and will be available by the end of day today.

Thanks again.
Old 4th February 2005, 12:28 AM
skoona Offline

Release 0.1.3 of gkrellfahCS on SourceForge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoona
Thanks for the comment.

FYI: I included a local log file of completed work units; that I did not mention in my docs. One record is added to the file every time a workunit is completed. However, one file is created for every F@H client and placed in that clients directory; '/fah_path/gfah2CS.log' is the logfile name on the same machine as gkrellmd. This file include data labels so you know what the values are.

I mention this now because I am working on collecting those files into a central log to be placed in the clients home directory "~/gfah2CS-central.log", on the gkrellm machine. This will be a coded file (i.e. no labels) and I plan to create a configuration tab titled "Central Log" to contain a viewer of all completed work units monitored from all gkrellmd systems.

Version 0.1.2 will have this "Central Log" tab as a update; and may take another week or two to create.

Version 0.1.1 will simply have the central log file collected, waiting for me to create the tab viewer and will be available by the end of day today.

Thanks again.

I skipped right over version 1.2 and released version 1.3 today. It has an advanced logfile viewer included. A snapshot is attached to this note. If your a gkrellfah2 user, you may want to give this client/server version a good look. I will start re-vamping the standalone client soon to incorprate these new features, for those who only want stand alone plugins.

James,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gkrellfah2CS-Log.png
Views:	189
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	4318  

Last edited by skoona; 4th February 2005 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Adding an attachment: screen shot or log viewer
Old 4th February 2005, 07:56 PM
skoona Offline

Opps, I just noticed that if you install this package, and try to run gkrellm in stand-alone mode (i.e. normal) it won't start, but actually segfaults off. This is caused by the very existance of the gkrellfah2C.so module installed by this package. I had this problem and it took a while to figure it out.

Resolution Choices.
1. get version 1.3.1 from sourceforge. Install it over the old one. problem solved
https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ease_id=302451

2. remove the offending plugin 'rm /usr/local/gkrellm2/plugins/gkrellfah2C.so' from gkrellm path, so it never trys to load it. Load attempt is what causes the problem. (i.e. it only loads if gkrellm was started with the '-s server_name' parm, or client mode).

Also, a few people expressed that the plugin was not updating all it fields. The resolution to this issue is faile permissions. I suggest you make gkrellmd the owner/group of all files in the FAH directory, using the following command. [root@localhost] $ chown -R gkrellmd:gkrellmd /fah_dir_path/*

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to the updated README file of 1.3-1
https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ease_id=302451

Regards,
Old 8th February 2005, 04:42 AM
skoona Offline

Post gkrellfah2 has been totally replaced and upgraded.

Date: 2005-02-07 20:01
Summary: gkrellfah2 Version 1.0 Relased Today

This is the most complete and tested version of the gkrellfah2 client produced thus far. It has been completely retooled to better report and track the progress of Folding@Home clients on your local or remote machines; using the features of Gkrellm & GkrellmD. The package contains three plugins, one for gkrellmd - gkrellfah2C.so, one for the gkrellm in client mode - gkrellfah2C.so, and one for gkrellm in stand alone mode - gkrellfah2.so or gkrellfah2SA.so.

The most significant change is the central log viewer. Every F@H work unit that is completed by one of your monitored machine is logged into thsi central log file. There is a viewer popup from mouse button two, and a configuration tab that show the listing of all work completed.

Gkrellfah2 Version 1.0
http://gkrellfah2.sourceforge.net/

James,

Last edited by skoona; 20th February 2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11th May 2005, 05:08 AM
skoona Offline

Cool First RPM Release 1.0.6

I recently release version 1.0.6 of gkrellfah2 packaged as a RPM. Version 1.1.0 is ready for release with minor modifications to the gkrellfah2S.so module for better support under gkrellm-2.2.5, plus I am updating the documentation. Eith subscribe to the sourceforge package or email me if you need gkrellm-2.2.5 support sooner.

Also, thanks go to Tim Douglas who repacked the 1.0.6 source RPM into a *.deb package for Debian.

Source RPM
Binary RPM
Debian Package

James,
Old 11th May 2005, 01:32 PM
jtang613 Offline

Nice to see this project maturing. Keep up the good work.

Jason
Old 12th May 2005, 04:18 AM
skoona Offline

Thanks for the comments. I'm actually running out of things to add in, so updating the docs is the only outstanding task.