Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th January 2005, 02:37 AM
Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n Offline

Resurrecting my mom's laptop

Okay, my mom's laptop, an old sony vaio has seen better days... the screen is falling off, and has radom green bars. she got rid of it about 2 years ago after proclaiming it was a piece of junk. so it's sat in our basement since then. The other day i ran across it and had a devious smile... It runs HORRIBLY... takes 10 minutes or so to open my computer and such. It is not usable for anything. So I tried to use knoppix, but it even crashed the desktop half-way through using it, wouldn't let me take files off the hard drive and such. In short, it's a brick...

As of now, i am installing fc3 on it for random purposes, like basic openoffice apps, and maybe a server for something. So far i've discerned this much of the specs:
Celeron Processor of some kind
128 megs of pc100 memory
an ethernet jack and integrated firewire (wtf where did that come from those years ago)
4.0 gb HD
Some very generic annoying video card
pretty good speakers

Sveral problems i foresee.... running out of hard drive space, not enough memory to run gnome properly, the screen completely dying (wtf the screen suddenly is $%^*#ed up weird colors)

I hope to see that it is brought back to being a useful computer, and will give some updates on it later following installation.

any suggestions?
-ph34r
1.5 gb DDR400
80 gb windows hd; 40gb fc4 hd
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128
always remember... ph34r t3h p3ngu1n
Old 24th January 2005, 04:57 AM
mugga Offline

Maybe you could try Cobind Desktop. It is a cut down version of FC1 made for older machines.
I have it running on an old Celeron and it's great. I was very impressed with it:

http://cobind.com/desktop.html

Check it out :-)
If Windows sucked, it would be good for something ;)
Old 24th January 2005, 05:20 AM
Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n Offline

well i got it installed and it runs pretty well. The thing is fully finctional, but now i know why the screen has grren bars along the side and junk... and i've made them worse by puncturing the monitor cable with my little screwdriver... so now the entire screen has little orange vertical bars going down it, it's usable, but a crt would be nice. Other things which do not work....

openoffice.org took much thinking and time to open writer
i will need to find a good driver for the ehternet card...
no idea how mych hd space... there's just -- where "space" is under fs properties.
this thing is seriously a pice of junk... but baybe i'll just start without X, close the lid and let it run as a CS server, a ftp server, or maybe for testing oter distros... but the 4 gb hard drive is a little annoying... it has screws on the inside which do not wish to eb undone... i.e. the one that lets me rip out the hard drive... who knows what i'll do with it... but right now i just noticed ati has drivers for my REAL computer (see sig) and i need to look into them and go to bed...
-ph34r
1.5 gb DDR400
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128
Old 24th January 2005, 05:35 AM
Dewey Offline

Try feather linux.
Old 24th January 2005, 08:07 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

With that small a memory footprint, you are going to be swapping a lot, especially with the "heavier" apps like OOffice. One thing that will help a little bit is you can use a lighter-weight window manager like fluxbox or XFCe.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 24th January 2005, 09:05 AM
kosmosik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n
any suggestions?
get bigger faster HDD, pop in some RAM (192MB should be enough - but more is better here)... you should get this stuff cheaply now. and it will turn this computer to its another youth

also use lightweight software, like XFCE for desktop, Abiword/GNUmeric for Office tasks, sylpheed for email, shell for file management and similar jobs (in fact the more you do in shell more productive you will become)... oh and configure it decently (set hardware parameters to be optimal, turn of services)...
Old 24th January 2005, 09:16 AM
jarifed Offline

If it has a I815 or i810 video chip then there is a problem with the video driver.
delete rhgb in your grub.conf file and update xorg-X11 files .
Another solutions is to add
option "noaccel" in your device section
I would suggest more than 256Mb as video memory is probably shared with main memory at least on my Sony FX101.
Old 24th January 2005, 02:06 PM
Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n Offline

i don't think you understand, this is a very old vaio... memory and parts are MORE expensice... just the plastic hinge covers are like 30 bucks... but i did choose to install xfce during install. But i think i can use my ipod for files, and using the HD for swap space. No, it's got nothing to do with the freaking x.org drivers, i pierced a freaking hole in the monitor cable. it's always had little green bars along the side. but anyway i've never used xfce and will try it this afternoon.
-ph34r
1.5 gb DDR400
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128
Old 22nd March 2005, 07:56 PM
Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n Offline

hey guys an update on this project...
I've ditched xfs because it didn't have the functionality i needed, and now gnome runs very smooth. I just boot it up in runlevel 3 and if i need to use the desktop i use an ssh tunnel for vnc t do maintainence, but mostly it just requires a simple yum command. Right now it's being used as a ventrilo server quite nicely. If i haven't unplugged the cable you can test it for yourself... ph34rt3hp3ngu1n.dyndns.org:3784 for ventrilo clients. A counter-strike server was out of the question for anyone not within a mile of the machine, but it was worth a try. This has been a good learning experience and i've learned how to ssh into my windows box from school and get past the word filter, the school for some reason blocked fedora.redhat.com, go figure.
-ph34r
1.5 gb DDR400
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128