Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2004, 03:40 PM
Beng Offline

Smile Why would you want to use linux

What reasons are there really to use Linux? Suppose i am an employee in an Office using my
PC for internet clients, text and spreadsheet documents. Why would i want to move away from Windows XP?

(and don't call me evil )
Old 6th December 2004, 03:56 PM
Uhlix Offline

less chance of getting a virus if you have them loaded on machines with basic users that dont know much about computers
:edit: not to mention cutting cost if you are a start up company etc. etc.
Old 6th December 2004, 05:28 PM
GreyGeek Offline

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beng
What reasons are there really to use Linux? Suppose i am an employee in an Office using my
PC for internet clients, text and spreadsheet documents. Why would i want to move away from Windows XP?

(and don't call me evil )
OK, You're not evil!

Bill Gates thinks you must move away from XP. "Put down that XP and step away! Get out your wallet and purchase LongHorn" It's not like you won't be moving away from XP. Microsoft will be moving away from it and you WILL HAVE to move away from it too, or be stuck on an island by yourself. It's the infameous Micro$oft upgrade treadmill, powered by lots or YOUR cash. Think about Win95. Why did you leave it?

Other reasons:
XP can do very little by itself. You must PURCHASE OTHER software to do anything useful. Office, SQL Server, Visual Studio (.NET), a good firewall, graphics programs, video and audio players, etc.... When XP reaches its EOL you'll have to move to LH if you want to keep getting those patches which fix security holes or protect against Hoof and Mouth Disease, a common cattle bug. After you move to LH you'll have to purchase LH versions of all that software you purchased to make XP usefull. They are proprietary for cash, they won't give that stuff to you for free.

Download FC3 and you get a NSA secured OS with all the apps, or equivilents, as part of the ISO sets. If you really don't feel comfortable using an OS without paying a lot of money for it and you want the "Windows L&F" then purchase the business edition of Xandros and select the Microsoft skins. Then you can do insanely stupid things like copy IExplorer.exe over to it and run IE as your browser... or word, or Excel, .... really stupid stuff like that. Stupid? You'll already have OpenOffice and it reads and rights 99.999% of all Office files without problems. You have GIMP, which does about anything PhotoShop does, or Blender which does evern more - like making movies!

But... don't let me stop you. Put off buying that new car. Borrow from your kids college fund, wear those patched clothes a bit longer. Eat more cheap trash food. Just so you can give the richest man in the world more of your hard earned money. And, after Gates has locked your data safely away in his WinFS and then activates his pay-per-use plan you can give him even more of your money to do mundane things like spell checking that document you just completed writing, or playing the DVD again. He does have your credit card number doesn't he? Yes? Then I'm sure about every evil cracker on the planet also has it and will get around to using it sooner or later if you aren't at the top of the list. If you are then it will probably be sooner.
Old 6th December 2004, 05:57 PM
bryancole Offline

1) Ease of use: GNOME really is now easier to use than the WinXP desktop. The best I can describe it is 'relaxing'. Installing Fedora Core is a cinch.
2) Speed: FC3 is alot faster than XP on low CPU spec machines.
Old 6th December 2004, 06:09 PM
james_in_denver Offline

It's free.

if something breaks I can fix it.

If I can't fix it, usually somebody else has already found and corrected the bug, before I ever saw it.

No spyware on my Linux box, and haven't had a single Linux virus or exploit since I started using it about 10 years ago.

I OWN my machine, and the software that runs on it. With windows, you don't "own" their software, you are just buying Microsoft's PERMISSION to use their programs. I can (if I really wanted to) examine any line of source code for any program that I use. Nothing happens on my computer without my permission (or stupidity?)

No "Blue Screens of Death".

My computer doesn't spy on me....

And oh yeah, did I mention it's free?

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 6th December 2004, 09:34 PM
digitalchaos Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_in_denver
It's free.

If I can't fix it, usually somebody else has already found and corrected the bug, before I ever saw it.
Those are the BEST reasons ever.

I hate how I have to depend on other propritary software inorder to fix windows.
Old 7th December 2004, 01:26 PM
yr2alex Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_in_denver
It's free.

No spyware on my Linux box, and haven't had a single Linux virus or exploit since I started using it about 10 years ago.

I OWN my machine, and the software that runs on it. With windows, you don't "own" their software, you are just buying Microsoft's PERMISSION to use their programs. I can (if I really wanted to) examine any line of source code for any program that I use. Nothing happens on my computer without my permission (or stupidity?)

No "Blue Screens of Death".

My computer doesn't spy on me....

And oh yeah, did I mention it's free?

Yeah!!! what james_in_denver said! besides the best things in life are free.

my $0.02
-- 1 Cor 13:11, Apostle Paul
Old 6th December 2004, 08:16 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Beng, why YOU should use Linux is simple: You are certain to impress clients with your abilities in an operating system that few of them are familiar with. You can demonstrate how impressive Open Office is and that it compatible with Microsoft Office in every aspect. Furthermore, you are certain to impress the clients that you are extremely cost-conscious and intelligent to select these alternatives.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 6th December 2004, 11:37 PM
taylor65 Offline

If you're running a business, why pay for extra overhead if you don't have to? You become less competitive that way. Also, XP doesn't work well as a server, so your web site will need multiple servers running in parellel or in a silo just to have a hope that 1 server is up and running at any point in time. If you worked in an IT department for a large company that uses Windows, you wouldn't run Windows at home.
Old 7th December 2004, 12:01 AM
Pegasus Offline

-> Reasons for linux usage

listed without any order - because its LINUX
- it's free
- i have full access to all processes
- it does what i WANT to do
- no easy virii/worm etc. usage
- it's compatible to windows software - WITHOUT silly error messages
- it's faster
- x86-64 usage -> i'm not willing to be a test person for Bill Gates 64Bit version of Windows!
- my hardware is supported

-> Pegasus choice
I've programmed assembly for many years on 32Bit Win systems. And found dozens of bugs, exploits etc. The curious thing is: they are all working - even with the last "Service Pack" - regardless if Win2K, XP, 2K3 or 64Bit 2K3/XP
My intention was to look behind the "wall" - but what i've seen in the past was the decision to change the system.
I made one try to show Redmond how it could be - and im not a person who explain things twice!
With Linux - which is running on several systems for years - i havn't got such problems. Also the leaks didn't exist.
Finaly, we made the decision to swap all systems from Win to Linux - since this time, the workflow is more productive, we have less support questions, nearly no error reports, and pushed up the completly productivity by 68%.
The employees didn't work more - but they are able to work without erros ...
Intel Pentium II 400 Mhz - 256 MB Ram, MS6151 Mainboard with ESS 1371 Onboard Sound, Ati Radeon 9200se AGP, Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI Controller, SCSI Zip Drive 100 internal, HP Scanjet 4C SCSI, RealTek PCI Ethernet Card (for DSL connection), PM = 10GB HDD, PS = LG GSA4081B, SM = 4 GB HDD (vfat), SS = LiteOn 40x CD-Rom
------------
RH9 -> Success, Suse 8.2/9/9.1 -> Failed, MDK9 -> Failed, FC2 -> Failed, MDK10 -> Success, FC3 -> Success
Old 7th December 2004, 02:56 AM
egr Offline

I like that I can see/fix/change everything
Old 7th December 2004, 09:06 AM
Beng Offline

Sound reasons. I'll start trying this at home. Here's what i do:

1. tcp/ip, the noteworthy thing is running a mailserver, any tips? i need solid spam and virus checking.
2. Documents and spreadsheet (open-office will cover it nicely)
3. Playing multimedia files like mp3, divx/vidx, is that covered?
4. Burning cd-rom/dvd (heard that was covered from i thread i started in wibble)
5. Programming, since i program delphi guess i will keep one windoze box around for that

my biggest concern actually atm is if i can run my favorite game, World Of Warcraft, a directx game. Any solutions besides running winxp inside VMWARE which sounds silly?

side question:

Many years ago i experimented with a linux version called Slackware (think i actually installed it from 5.25 inch flexibale floppies :P) i remember needing a swap partition.
What would be a goood partion setup for a 20 gb harddrive in a system with 1 Gigabyte
of memory? I have about 8 gigbytes which i am gonna need for different tasks like encoding divx to mpeg-2, dvd authoring etc so files on that 8 gb will change often and perhaps fragment the partition.

Last edited by Beng; 7th December 2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 8th December 2004, 10:18 PM
Chas.H Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beng
5. Programming, since i program delphi guess i will keep one windoze box around for that
In a word... Kylix.

You want to do Delphi programming? Go to the borland website and check out Kylix. It is Delphi *AND* C++ Builder all in one for Linux. How cool is that!

Bill Gates verdient een pastei in het gezicht.
Gilded Age
9 Dragon Palace Restaurant

Still using FC2
Upgraded to FC4 July 16, 2005!!
Still using FC4

Registered Linux User #373127

Last edited by Chas.H; 8th December 2004 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added Dutch text
Old 7th December 2004, 09:34 AM
Shadow Skill Offline

Off topic:

Just exactly how old is slackware?

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.
Old 7th December 2004, 09:50 AM
LeNain Offline

Red face

Ok, here are my tips if you want to switch definitly

1. tcp/ip, the noteworthy thing is running a mailserver, any tips? i need solid spam and virus checking.
- cyrus + spamassassin + postfix/sendmail (everything is shipped with FC3)
2. Documents and spreadsheet (open-office will cover it nicely)
- Openoffice as you said it, but there are still some (very few in fact) documents that won't export correctly, you should switch to oo documents or PDFs
3. Playing multimedia files like mp3, divx/vidx, is that covered?
- Totem-xine (totem is shipped with FC3 but you could use some tutorials to install totem-xine from livna)
4. Burning cd-rom/dvd (heard that was covered from i thread i started in wibble)
- K3B, shipped with KDE and therefore FC3
- Well well, this point is easily covered, as you have GCC, Eclipse, for common languages, but Delphi also exists under linux, it's called Kylix, and it's a Borland Product

my biggest concern actually atm is if i can run my favorite game, World Of Warcraft, a directx game. Any solutions besides running winxp inside VMWARE which sounds silly?

And for the last one, Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com) it's not free (binaries), it's quite cheap, and it runs quite well, most of the time faster than under windows, but i'm not sure if WOW is supported, you should check their website, but be assured that if it's not supported, it will be soon