Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 24th July 2012, 09:16 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Fedora 17 error: Can not open font file True

I see this question asked a lot, and I have gotten tired of telling each one how to fix this, so I am putting the solution here.

Error:

Can not open font file true

This is an error that occurs after a Fedora 17 install due to wrong parameters that are specified in the kernel line.
This error does not prevent your system from booting. If your system is not booting up, or hanging,
then you have another issue in addition to this one.

To fix this error, you need to replace the font specified (True) with one that actually exists.

So, first off, edit your /etc/default/grub file and add the following to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line:

SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16

(latarcyrheb-sun16 was used on previous Fedora versions)

You should now have a line in your /etc/default/grub that looks similar to this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"

Also, you need to change the file /etc/sysconfig/i18n and make the same change there.

This is what your /etc/sysconfig/i18n file should look like once done (assuming you are using US English as your language)

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

Once this is done, then you need to rebuild your /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file to for grub to pick up the changes.

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Now you should not have the error when you boot.

Last edited by DBelton; 24th July 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 26th September 2012, 07:24 AM
Moudj Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Fedora 17 error: Can not open font file True

Hi Guys,
Apologise if my question sounds dumb, I'm very new to Fedora, I have the same problem of "can not open font file true". Can any one pls tell me how I can login from the grub as root.
Thankx
Old 26th September 2012, 03:00 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

If you are only having the issue of "can not open font file true" you should not need to log in like that. This error doesn't prevent your system from booting normally.

If your system isn't booting normally, then there is some other problem. If that's the case, start a thread over in the general help section, providing more information on your problem, and you would be more likely to get an answer.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:13 AM
Moudj Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you, @DBelton. I reinstalled it and now it works perfectly.

Tags
error, fedora, file, font, open, true