Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:07 PM
drewters Offline

linuxchrome
Grub2 multiple Fedora's

I have a new laptop (Samsung) and installed Fedora 64 bit on it a little while back. I am dual booting Windows and Fedora. In the meantime I have had two more boot options show up in Grub. They were not there at the beginning. Below is what is show:

Fedora (3.4.5-2.fc17.x86_64) (This one showed up about two days ago)
Fedora (3.4.4-5.fc17.x86_64) (This one showed up about a week ago)
Fedora Linux
Advanced options for Fedora Linux
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on dev/sda4)

The bottom four were the original boot menu options when I installed and the two on top were added. If I try to boot into the top two I get the GUI to show, but everything is locked up. I cannot do anything, but hard shutdown. I am a bit familiar with Grub1, but I am afraid to delete the top two without consequences in Grub2. What is the problem? I am sorry if this has already been discussed. I did not find anything on this specific topic.

Drew
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:28 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Grub2 multiple Fedora's

The extra entries in your grub menu are normal.

yum will keep 3 kernels by default, and they show up in your grub menu. This is so that if a kernel update is bad, you can still boot your system.

Have you installed any kernel modules? Perhaps for wireless network or video? If so, then those must be updated when you install a new kernel, since kernel modules have to be built for the particular kernel version you are running.

Tags
fedora, grub2, multiple