Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th June 2012, 12:55 AM
north49er Offline

linuxfirefox
3.4.0-1 kernel panic on laptop

vaio vgn-n365e,intel core duo, 2gig ram, intel 945 mobility graphics, intel wireless,dual boot w/win7
Did a clean install using fc17 xfce spin. Earlier kernels work fine, but this latest creates a kernel panic.
I've reinstalled the kernel but same problem perists. Tried the pae version, but the same pattern with non-pae.
Dmesg nor /var/log/messages give no clue.
The screen goes through hardware devices, then I see the kernel start, helper, code, eip,cr2, then right after "end trace" it goes to kernel panic, not syncing: attempted to kill init!
I suppose I could wait until the next kernel update to see if this goes away, but I'm curious if this will be persistent problem. Is there a way to peek at the source to see at what point the panic begins?
Old 15th June 2012, 02:26 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: 3.4.0-1 kernel panic on laptop

Does /var/log/boot.log show anything interesting? Are there any core dumps in /var/spool/abrt ?

I've had no luck in getting the Xfce spin of Fedora 17 to work. On my machines it will boot, but the desktop keeps becoming unresponsive to the mouse buttons in various ways. On the other hand, replacing Xfce 4.8 with Xfce 4.10 from an unofficial repository more or less works.
Old 18th June 2012, 03:31 AM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfirefox

Have the same kernel panic on my Sony laptop vgn220e since the 3.4.0 kernel and the latest 3.4.2-4 still panics but the 3.3.7-1 still boots fine.

phil
Old 18th June 2012, 06:27 AM
north49er Offline

linuxfirefox

Same problem with 3.4.2-4. It has the kernel panic at the same point as 3.4.0-1. This may be pointing to a hardware problem with sony vgn laptops.
Old 19th June 2012, 03:51 AM
mikee Online

linuxfirefox

What are the messages between teh begin trace and the end trace?

Kernel panics can be reported. Might not get fixed if they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north49er View Post
vaio vgn-n365e,intel core duo, 2gig ram, intel 945 mobility graphics, intel wireless,dual boot w/win7
Did a clean install using fc17 xfce spin. Earlier kernels work fine, but this latest creates a kernel panic.
I've reinstalled the kernel but same problem perists. Tried the pae version, but the same pattern with non-pae.
Dmesg nor /var/log/messages give no clue.
The screen goes through hardware devices, then I see the kernel start, helper, code, eip,cr2, then right after "end trace" it goes to kernel panic, not syncing: attempted to kill init!
I suppose I could wait until the next kernel update to see if this goes away, but I'm curious if this will be persistent problem. Is there a way to peek at the source to see at what point the panic begins?
Old 19th June 2012, 11:07 PM
lexinger Offline

windows_7firefox

same problem with 3.4.2-4 on vaio vgn-s2c
made a picture of the error message

hope it is going to be fixed soon
Old 21st June 2012, 11:12 PM
north49er Offline

windows_7firefox

Another kernel update to 3.4.3 and another kernel panic. The only reason I can use fedora 17 on this machine now is earlier 3.4 kernels are being deleted and keeping 3.3.7. So far, I've tried: yum clean all, rpm --rebuilddb, yum reinstall, latest microcode.dat from intel for core duo, reinstall grub2. Kernel 3.4 just isn't working on this laptop. Maybe kernel 3.4 is "too new" for this relic as I read 3.4 fully syncs with android and some forms of drm like for netflix...oh well.
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:06 AM
elias12 Offline

linuxchrome

What is the output from

Code:
uname -a
It is the same kernel if you have booted?
Old 23rd June 2012, 04:38 AM
north49er Offline

linuxfirefox

elias12 asks:
It is the same kernel if you have booted? Yes.

Doing a little more reading, I understand 3.4 kernel cpufreq enabled by default. Fedora 17 documentation in the power management section has more on this. I tried following what's in the documentation, but I'm not getting anywhere. I wonder if intel core duo can implement this?
Old 23rd June 2012, 04:55 AM
mikee Online

linuxfirefox

I think you are still missing some info in that stack trace. I know the ones I've seen have had a "cut here' line.

Anyway, I see a lot of acpi in the errors...

maybe try the kernel boot options of:

acpi=off noapic
Old 23rd June 2012, 06:31 PM
north49er Offline

linuxfirefox

mikee wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, I see a lot of acpi in the errors...

maybe try the kernel boot options of:

acpi=off noapic
Bingo! That did the trick. Thanks mikee!
Old 24th June 2012, 06:03 PM
north49er Offline

linuxfirefox

Aftermath report: acpi=off noapic does allow the 3.4 kernel to boot, but it does bring a couple of annoyances. I ran across an article (can't find it again!) where it says some vaio machines with intel core duo may have a problem, so this may have bitten this particuular model. Applying this kills 3d acceleration, so a programs such as stellarium won't work. Having no power control for a laptop is particularly annoying as it ran very hot after a 5 minutes. So, rather than fighting this, I've "downgraded" to another distribution. It has 3.0 kernels so this is no longer a problem for me.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:54 AM
mikee Online

linuxfirefox

Yeah, the noacpi turns off a lot of features, but it can get you up and running to figure stuff out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north49er View Post
Aftermath report: acpi=off noapic does allow the 3.4 kernel to boot, but it does bring a couple of annoyances. I ran across an article (can't find it again!) where it says some vaio machines with intel core duo may have a problem, so this may have bitten this particuular model. Applying this kills 3d acceleration, so a programs such as stellarium won't work. Having no power control for a laptop is particularly annoying as it ran very hot after a 5 minutes. So, rather than fighting this, I've "downgraded" to another distribution. It has 3.0 kernels so this is no longer a problem for me.
Old 10th July 2012, 02:10 PM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfirefox

Still no joy with the 3.4.4-5 kernel but still using the 3.3.7-1 boots normally.

phil
Old 10th July 2012, 02:43 PM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera

Maybe a bad DSDT for that ACPI BIOS? I ran into a similar problem with a Toshiba about 18 months ago. Took some tweaking and rebuilding of the DSDT to sort it out.

Just a thought.

Tags
kernel, laptop, panic