Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 1st June 2012, 08:22 PM
ready Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: There
Posts: 3
windows_7chrome
Just installed F17 on old HP laptop and graphics look quite bad

I was running CentOS 6.2 just fine on my old HP dv5117 laptop, and the graphics looked good. But now on F17 everything looks off, the screen resolution is bad (I tried changing it), and I'm not sure what to try next. Do I need some kind of drivers?

Doing a "lspci | grep VGA" I get "VGA Compatible Controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)". Is there any other information I could provide about my video card that might help determine what I should do?

When I look at one of the detail screens it says my graphics is "Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480".

(Also, I'm not sure how the installation even worked, because I accidentally used a 64bit DVD and my old laptop is only 32bit, but the whole installation worked fine. That's surprising to me, I thought that wasn't possible.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

As an update, I tried installing the following Catalyst driver from the AMD website but got errors during installation. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2nd June 2012, 02:56 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Age: 46
Posts: 1,965
linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Just installed F17 on old HP laptop and graphics look quite bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready View Post
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Might want to try a fresh install of F16 Xfce (32-bit) or Linux Mint 13 - MATE (32-bit)
3D video acceleration not needed with these distros
__________________
On quest for blue smoke and red rings...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:00 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,255
linuxfirefox
Re: Just installed F17 on old HP laptop and graphics look quite bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready View Post
I was running CentOS 6.2 just fine on my old HP dv5117 laptop, and the graphics looked good. But now on F17 everything looks off, the screen resolution is bad (I tried changing it), and I'm not sure what to try next. Do I need some kind of drivers?

Doing a "lspci | grep VGA" I get "VGA Compatible Controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)". Is there any other information I could provide about my video card that might help determine what I should do?

When I look at one of the detail screens it says my graphics is "Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480".

(Also, I'm not sure how the installation even worked, because I accidentally used a 64bit DVD and my old laptop is only 32bit, but the whole installation worked fine. That's surprising to me, I thought that wasn't possible.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

As an update, I tried installing the following Catalyst driver from the AMD website but got errors during installation. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English
tell us what is your normal screen resolution and how much does fedora give you?

Catalyst driver support for your card ended years ago.
__________________
LENOVO Y580 FHD Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 |660M GTX NVIDIA | 16 GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:37 AM
ready Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: There
Posts: 3
windows_7chrome
Re: Just installed F17 on old HP laptop and graphics look quite bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Might want to try a fresh install of F16 Xfce (32-bit) or Linux Mint 13 - MATE (32-bit)
3D video acceleration not needed with these distros
Isn't it more than 3D that's a problem, as everything looks bad in regular usage rather than some advanced 3D graphics like video games or something. (Perhaps I've misunderstood.) Would F17 Xfce do the trick as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
tell us what is your normal screen resolution and how much does fedora give you?

Catalyst driver support for your card ended years ago.
I'm not sure what the normal screen resolution is, would you know how I could find out? It's a 15.4" monitor, and the resolution in the display settings shows as 1200x800.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad, f17, graphics, installed, laptop

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Acer Laptop Graphics problem HalsallChap Hardware & Laptops 1 17th July 2011 10:25 AM
i7 laptop hardware support - graphics cheesiechimp Hardware & Laptops 0 6th April 2011 11:44 AM
3d graphics on laptop are horribly slow Replicant10000 Hardware & Laptops 7 1st August 2009 05:09 AM
Updating Graphics Drivers - Laptop crossmr Using Fedora 1 10th January 2006 07:35 AM
PCMCIA graphics chip?! (laptop) Sarah1 Hardware & Laptops 0 28th August 2005 06:19 PM


Current GMT-time: 17:29 (Tuesday, 16-09-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat