Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th May 2012, 03:35 AM
johncp1962 Offline

windows_7firefox
F-17 Preupgrade Problem (A unpack error occurred....)

I pulled the instructions for preupgrade from this forum and printed them. I was able to run preupgrade successfully (after the second try) and rebooted the system. From the grub menu, I selected "Upgrade to Fedora 17". The packages were installing until it got to kdelibs3 where I got the following error:

"A unpack error occurred when installing the kdelibs3 package. This could indicate errors when reading the installation media. Installation cannot continue.

[Exit Installer]

After clicking on "Exit Installer", followed by Ctrl-Alt-Delete - the machine rebooted. I once again chose to upgrade and Anaconda appeared to pick up where it left off. But once again, failed on the same package. I tried a third time, but this time the first package up was kdelibs3, so it failed immediately. I can't boot the system up now so I'm stuck. The exact package F17 is choking on is:

kdelibs3-3.5.10-35.fc17.x86_64.

I have plenty of hard drive space and as you may have guessed, a 64 bit system with 16 Gigs of RAM.

Assistance much appreciated.
Old 30th May 2012, 07:58 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox
Re: F-17 Preupgrade Problem (A unpack error occurred....)

Is the checksum of the installation source right?
Old 30th May 2012, 11:09 AM
johncp1962 Offline

windows_7firefox

For "Preupgrade", how am I to check the source? For instance, what (exactly) would I be performing a sha1sum on after running the command "preupgrade"?

One other thing, "Preupgrade" tests the install before the reboot. My system passed this test.

jp
Old 30th May 2012, 12:41 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

I was bit wayward with my suggestion. I think the kdelibs file is corrupted. So how about deleting the kdelibs .RPM file manually from the yum cache and retry the steps?
Old 31st May 2012, 02:24 AM
johncp1962 Offline

windows_vistafirefox

Hi hadrons123,

Thanks. I suppose I could boot to a sysrescuecd to see if I can find (and replace) that file. I didn't know if there was going to be another (internal) option. Because as of right now, I cannot boot whatsoever. That is, without the sysrescuecd.

UPDATE: I did get the non-LVM volumes loaded, but that really does me no good. Well...a LITTLE good...I was able to download the new kdelibs3 RPM to one of my drives using wget. But still the problem remains, how do I access my LVM to make the switch from bad to good kdelibs3?

Thanks again.

John

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Having problems with sysrescuecd. It only loads it's own volume. I cannot access my systems volumes to get to the problem rpm (kdelibs3). I still cannot boot the system on it's own. I get all sorts of LVM errors and the boot process just hangs. Please tell me I'm not relegated to wiping this thing down and starting from scratch.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Still having problems, but maybe this will help:

When I boot, and select the "upgrade to F17" option, and "e" to edit the parameters, this is what is shown:

setparams 'Upgrade to Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)'

linux /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade ks\
=hd:UUID=4856d070-0ec7c-4150-a6a9-e3863737ae06:/upgrade/ks.cfg stage2=hd\
UUID=4856d070-0ec7c-4150-a6a9-e3863737ae06:/upgrade/squashfs.img
initrd /upgrade/initrd.img

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

** Great Info on Mounting LVM's from Rescue CD's **

http://linuxers.org/howto/how-mount-...rtitions-linux

Last edited by johncp1962; 30th May 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 31st May 2012, 02:40 AM
trailfodder Offline

linuxfirefox

I have the identical problem, but in my case the package causing grief is filezilla.....

>edit....information update<

I've worked throught this (so far) by:

1. downloading the ISO for the full install of F17. This gives me a "rescue mode".
2. Downloading a replacement .rpm for the identified corrupt file on a different machine.
3. Copying the replacement .rpm to a USB flash drive.
4. On failing machine, boot from DVD, enter rescue mode....
5. cd /mnt/sysimage/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
6. rm corrupt.rpm
7. mkdir temporary_dir
8. mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 temporary_dir
9. cd temporary_dir
10. cp {replacement.rpm} .
11. cd ..
12. umount temporary_dir
13. rmdir temporary_dir

I then rebooted, reselected "upgrade to F17"....and installation continued.

I then encountered an error "rpmdb changed underneath us" which caused install to fail. A reboot appeared to bypass that failure and continue with post-install cleanup. A further reboot appears to be continuing the install. I'll update after the selinux relabel process completes........

Last edited by trailfodder; 31st May 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 1st June 2012, 01:52 AM
johncp1962 Offline

windows_7firefox

Trailfodder,

I too got the rpmdb error. But unlike you, the reboot didn't clear it up all the way. After my initial reboot after the rpmdb error, I noticed the grub still showed the F17 upgrade option. I chose it, and the install continued for about 20 seconds or so, then the system rebooted. I thought I was in the clear at this point - but when grub came up, horror of horrors, I did not have a kernel option for F17. All 3 options were for F16. Then, I found this:

http://kparal.wordpress.com/ (see item #4)

I passed it along to a friend of mine who is much better at this than I -- He said I'd have to burn a Fedora CD/DVD and boot to rescue mode - then create a chroot jail. Sigh.... Just for g and g's I did try to run the command using the sysrescuecd, but as I suspected from what my friend told me, it failed. (error: failed to get canonical path of none).

So, now I'm off to d/l F17, then learn how to create a chroot environment.

What a ride!

Curse you, PreUpgrade!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Update:

I created an F17 DVD and booted into rescue mode. I then created a chroot jail and ran:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

It generated grub.cfg, but with an error:

lvs: relocation error: lvs: symbol dm_config_create, version Base not defined in file libdevmapper.so.1.02 with link time reference
done

Also, it only listed fc16 kernels - I confirmed this by listing the files in /boot - Only fc16 kernels.

What happened? My fc17 kernel never got installed.

If anyone has any insight; let me know.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by johncp1962; 31st May 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 2nd June 2012, 01:15 AM
trailfodder Offline

linuxfirefox

sigh. I give up. I had the same F16/F17 error you describe and spent the last two days trying to put my system back together. I could boot into a F16 kernel, but even after installing a f17 kernel via yum (which then lists a F17 grub menu entry), any attempt to boot fails miserably.

I'm preserving my data and doing a fresh install. note-to-self do NOT run pre-upgrade on f16.....
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:36 AM
johncp1962 Offline

linuxfirefox

Trailfodder et al ...

My friend, you took the words right out of my mouth. While at work, I got a couple more tips to try, but they didn't pan out. Specifically, I tried inputting the URL found in each repo in /etc/yum.repos.d to see if the kernel was actually in there. Oddly enough, the pages weren't coming up for me. I had to recurse back a few directories then search for where I *thought* the kernels might be. Anyway, I never found what I was looking for. After working all day, then coming home to a dead machine, I too made the same choice you did. Except, I did try to "upgrade" using the F-17 DVD I burned. No dice...still the same problem. I finally gave it all up and performed a clean install. I had to manually install a few programs that I use and need and I'm sure I'll be doing that for a while ... in bits and pieces. As for restoring, I say "thank goodness for rdiff-backup". I've been using it now for over a year and I'm VERY pleased with it. It made restoral a snap. All of my email - restored. My check register from KMyMoney - restored. Everything in /home - restored. Phew! What a RELIEF!

As for upgrading; I have used preupgrade 2x in the past without incident. I do, however, usually wait at least a month (or 2) before upgrading. And before I do anything, I read the forums and do some googling to see what others are saying. I'll have to remember this situation when F-18 hits the net.

I'd like to see the Fedora Project work on better back-out procedures for when things go horribly wrong. Of course this whole incident didn't make me happy, but overall, I'm very happy with Fedora. Much happier now that my system is functional again.

So for all you who want to know the solution, here it is:

Fresh install of Fedora 17. - Done.

Take care folks and thank you to ALL who have responded!

Tags
error, f17, occurred, preupgrade, problem, unpack