Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2012, 02:55 PM
bernhard Offline

linuxfirefox
dual boot with win 7

hi everyone,

Iḿ running fedora 16. I have some programś that need to have win7. I tried installing them under wine and in a virtual machine. None had a sattisfiing result. Now I want to install windows 7 on a free partition. How do I go about this? I don want to reinstall fedora.

yours,

bernhard
Old 14th May 2012, 03:23 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: dual boot with win 7

Have you thought about a Virtual Machine instead of a installation directly on the hardware? That might involve lesser trouble ...

You could use Virtualbox or Fedora's virt-manager and setup a kvm.
Old 14th May 2012, 03:39 PM
bernhard Offline

linuxfirefox

As I said in my original post, I have tried using wine and I have tried a virtual machine but they didn't work as I wanted. I couldn't install the software in wine and the vm was too slow. I am mainly a PHP programmer but once in a while I programm for windows desktop too.

Visual Studio is quite a heavy programm and it slowed the virtual machine down too much. That is why I want the dualboot.
Old 14th May 2012, 03:44 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Well, if that is the case, take a look at these instructions.

This is Glenn's article on installing XP after Fedora installation. But this should hold good for Windows 7 as well.
Old 14th May 2012, 07:12 PM
AlanSac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I lost my windows 7 password and couldn't recover it. Wound up doing a fresh install of Windows 7. As expected, it overwrote grub. The install needs to reboot several times, so that part was good. This time I wrote down the password in a couple of places! To get Fedora running, I loaded the fedora 16 install dvd, and selected install. I chose upgrade, and new bootloader. When I rebooted, grub was there, giving me all my kernel options as well as windows 7. All data and programs were there, including my Virtual Box stuff. If I had any really important files, I would have first backed them up to a DVD or my external drive. I must say, Windows is very clunky in installation - who needs 4 reboots?
Old 14th May 2012, 07:05 PM
bernhard Offline

linuxfirefox

great, during the installation of windows7, when choosing a partition, I get the error "Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024." I deleted the NTFS partitions on the drive where windows will be installed.

I have 2 disc. disk 0 is all allocated to fedora and has only linux partitions.
Disk 1 will be allocated to windows.

Has anyone had this problem before when installing win7 after linux? I would hate to have to install windows first.

Tags
boot, dual, win