Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 25th April 2012, 03:15 PM
ubersoft Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Can you install an earlier version of a program with yum?

This is something that occurred on my machine running F17, but I don't think this is specifically an F17 question, which is why I put it here.

Last night F17 updated a number of packages, including wine. It updated wine from the stable 1.4 to the development 1.5.2, which introduced a mouse-jumping issue in one of the windows games I play. So I'd like to revert back to 1.4, and I was wondering if there was a way for yum to do that, or if I needed to just download the rpm, uninstall wine, and install the rpm "manually."

Also, what would I need to do to prevent yum from flagging it as an update every time I run it? Add exclude=wine* to /etc/yum.conf ?
Old 25th April 2012, 03:42 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Can you install an earlier version of a program with yum?

You can downgrade a package using yum. Simply use yum downgrade package_name. Of course, it is also possible to download the rpm and then install using yum.
Old 25th April 2012, 03:50 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoft View Post
Also, what would I need to do to prevent yum from flagging it as an update every time I run it? Add exclude=wine* to /etc/yum.conf ?
That should work flawlessly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 25th April 2012, 04:03 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

A few times I've tried that "downgrade" & it said that the package was NOT downgrade-able. So I take it that it is a "crapshot" if they are or not, or is there something else at play here?

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 25th April 2012, 04:24 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
A few times I've tried that "downgrade" & it said that the package was NOT downgrade-able. So I take it that it is a "crapshot" if they are or not, or is there something else at play here?
I am not too sure about this. I have not used it very often - but everytime I tried, it worked. From the man page,

Quote:
downgrade
Will try and downgrade a package from the version currently installed to the previously highest version (or the specified version). The depsolver will not necessarily work, but if you specify all the packages it should work (thus, all the simple cases will work). Also this does not work for "installonly" packages, like Kernels. downgrade operates on groups, files, provides, filelists and rpm files just like the "install" command.
So, I guess, it is finicky on a package-by-package basis.
Old 25th April 2012, 04:18 PM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfirefox

If all methods fail, you can still grab an older version from the Koji build system http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/
Old 25th April 2012, 04:32 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Most times you can get "downgrade" to work if you list the deps for downgrade also. For instance in order to downgrade firefox you would need something like:

Code:
yum downgrade firefox yelp xulrunner
But YMMV
Hope this helps,

Tags
earlier, install, program, version, yum