Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 14th April 2012, 04:16 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
How to 'hide' the computer?

*Update* it turned out that the tests are lower on that page so I'll do them with Fedora too.

Hello.
I used Debian, which I always installed from a minimal system so I never installed network-manager or network services and the ones that came by default I could remove (as Debian breaks up a lot the packages and makes it easier to have only the basics). Then I simply used UFW (UncomplicatedFireWall, from Ubuntu I think) in its default settings.
When I visited https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and ran the test I would get a page with compliments as my computer was sort of 'invisible' to the Internet, with no open services.
I installed F17 from the Xfce spin as the minimal ISO then would fail.
Now I get this when I perform that test: http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/screen...2-120152pm.php
I have removed many networking stuff from the original install which I don't need (vpn, rpc, smb etc.), but I have network-manager and some other things that are sort of un-removable like nss or whatever (I really don't understand about this issue).
I have system-config-firewall set to block everything and allow nothing.

I suspect that I would have to change some default settings so as to pass that test. Can anyone give me some cues?

Last edited by secipolla; 14th April 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Clarifying the issue.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:13 PM
sillav Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How to 'hide' the computer?

Are you sure it's testing your computer, and not your router? If you've got a router between you and your isp's modem, I'd start by looking at its configuration rather than your computers.
Old 14th April 2012, 09:31 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for answering.
First I would like to say that I don't have really a practical need for what I'm asking as I don't know exactly its implications. But it's more in a general sense that if I don't know what the computer is sending out there then it's better to know that it's sending nothing (except the IP).
Regarding the router thing, no, it's a system thing.
I use the modem provided by the ISP, which is configured as a router so I have automatic login (DHCP) instead of Bridge (PPPOE) which is the way it comes configured like.
But that's the same set-up for a long time.
IDK exactly what tests that site performs, but it does look for responses to what it sends and other things I don't know.

The only other OS I have here is Puppy Linux, so next time I boot into it I will look how it performs there.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

I confused myself. The tests that I used to pass were lower down the page. I just did'em with Puppy and all ports are in stealth mode.
So the header that 'your computer may be sending information etc...' may be just a general alert that includes more trivial stuff like the browser headers, for instance.
Old 28th April 2012, 11:26 PM
Magickman Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

When I clicked the link, it reported as such:
"Your Connection to Our Web Server is Probably 'Proxied'"

The worrisome header contained in your request is:

Via: 224.229.38.9

The presence of this header is indicative of an intermediate proxy, as discussed above. We are unable to bypass this proxy, since even your browser's secure SSL connections are being intercepted. If you are able to disable your browser's use of this proxy we'll be able to check your system, but until then we are unable to proceed.

Tags
hide