Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th April 2012, 10:49 PM
ajayward Offline

macossafari
Desktop Environments

Hi All...

A question if I may?

From what I've read F15 was supposed to install with Gnome 3. After installing F15, I found I had Gnome 2.32. No problem, I could just upgrade. However after several attempts, I still had 2.32.

I finally got the F16 upgrade to install, which I 'thought' was supposed to include a version of Gnome 3. Still... I have Gnome 2.32!

Am I missing something here?

FWIW... the upgrade to F16, via preupgrade, went off without a problem. Everything works!

Thanks for any advice!

Amanda

PS This is just just a learning experience... don't care (a lot) if it's a bit twitchy.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:15 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Desktop Environments

Kinda sounds like your hardware wasn't up to snuff and it tossed you into fall-back mode.
Old 7th April 2012, 03:55 AM
ajayward Offline

macossafari

Ah... what are the hardware requirements? I'm running with a quad core AMD cpu at 3.2 GHz with 8GB ram. This isn't enough?

Amanda
Old 7th April 2012, 04:12 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Surely, it is, but it would be the video card that would be your limiting factor. When you are asking for assistance with something like this, it's always a good idea to give as much information to go on as possible. In short, a complete listing of your hardware and any error messages encountered would be a good thing to include here.

That being said, it's probably a good idea to read through the release notes and see if any obvious issues apply.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...Release_Notes/
Old 7th April 2012, 04:24 AM
Hammerhead V Offline

windows_xp_2003opera

Regarding hardware requirements, you could try out a live CD, I believe it also has Gnome 3 (at least the x86_64 version did/does). Although I would probably go with Dan's suggestions as it would likely involve less excessive downloading.
Also, this might be a stupid question from myself, but did you check yum to see if Gnome 3 was installed? If it is/was, fall-back mode may be an issue or else maybe the default was set to Gnome 2?
Old 8th April 2012, 06:47 AM
ajayward Offline

macossafari

After mucking up a few things (remember, I'm still pretty new at this), I did a complete reinstall and everything 'seems' to be okay now.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:01 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Very good! That's the beauty of Linux. If you break it, you get to keep both pieces. <....>

(Happy Easter!)

Tags
desktop, environments