Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th March 2012, 10:35 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Exclamation General Announcement: Staff changes

Some of you may have already noticed there have been some substantial changes in the staff of the forum in the last few days. These changes are somewhat ongoing, and have generated further changes to the way the staff does business.

Bottom line? Both Bob and Leigh have selected to retire.

Running this beast is a voluntary thing, and their reasons for not only serving but also the time, and circumstances of stepping down from that service are their own. It is ours to be respectfully grateful for the unbelievable hours and efforts they have contributed to the forum, the community and even fedora and linux in general.

Personally, I will say of both of them that the dedication and selfless service they have shown not only humbles me, but makes me proud to have called them colleagues and to have been allowed to serve with them. I know Bob will still be hanging around answering questions, and I hope Leigh will too, but currently, it looks like he's going to take a hiatus. Other than that, I have no knowledge of their future plans. You'll have to ask them about it yourselves.

It would be insanely unrealistic to say there will be no impact on the forum and the community, but the other bottom line is that we currently have a fantastic staff of talented and dedicated personnel who have already simply stepped sideways into the gaps and never skipped a beat. But, with these guys, I would have expected nothing less. Quality people just do that sort of thing. They have a tendency to humble me as well.

The other impact this will have on the forum is we are currently taking this opportunity to review our own procedures and make adjustments as needed.

(Now comes the long, boring history part. If you're prone to nod off during torturous speeches, you're welcome to do so here without shame. Just as long as I don't hear anyone snoring.)

For those who are not aware, fedora forum was originally taped together and launched by these enterprising fellows, and administered basically by Ewdison Then. Circumstances changed, and Ewdi eventually turned control of the forum over to us, and granted "Super-Admin" powers, tights and decoder rings to Bob, Leigh and myself, with the understanding that Bob was in charge. The reasons for Bob and Leigh being on the team were obvious. Me? Not so much. But that's the way it was. In the end, it provided that there were three sets of keys to the thing, and therefore it could be more responsive to the timely needs of the community.

Since then, we've done our level best to endure the headaches, grow into the job and deal with the daily pitfalls as best we could. We suffered no illusions, though. Having a forgiving and robust community was about all that made that possible. <....>

We've still got three "key holders" in place, so there's no reason to panic, and a number of well seasoned and capable admins who can and will step up should one of us get stupid and step in front of a bus ... or the rest of the staff finally gets sick of my stupid comments and bad jokes, and runs me out of town on a rail. <....>

So, it ain't been an easy week, but I think we're up to the challenges, and I hope we can count on you, the membership at large, to help us keep the normal form, function and standards of fedora forum as high as they have ever been. We (The whole community here, that is) often hear from those who come here that this is one of the most helpful, friendly, and high quality forums on the web, and the truth of the matter is that the admins don't have a helluva lot to do with that. That is all about you folks, the regular members of the fedora forum community. If it wasn't for you folks, we wouldn't be here ... and a lot of us would still be grinding our teeth, and wrestling with ...

Windows®. <....> <....> <....>

To Bob and Leigh: Gentlemen ... It doesn't quite seem to cover it, but ... It's been an honor, and thank you.

That is all.

Dan
Old 10th March 2012, 10:55 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: General Announcement: Staff changes

Holy cow, I was in charge? Nobody ever told me!

Well, thanks Dan for the kind words. I'll assure one and all that my choice had nothing at all to do with the great guys I was privileged to work with or the fine Forum that the members have continued to create. And, as Dan pointed out, I'll still hang around here, time permitting and do my best to give bad advice and mess up your machines.

I'm saddened by any absence that Leigh chooses to take and hope he's quickly back with us. He's far too important to all of us to be gone for long, but please respect his rights to a bit of peace and privacy. 20K+ posts, answering the most difficult problems and you sure do need a break!

Well, I know that the Forum is in the best of hands and I'll be watching along with the rest to see what's coming. I'm sure it's going to make it even better.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:28 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Thanks bob and leigh! Leigh, in particular, for the excellent graphics card installation guide and cinnamon!

I have been in this forum for a little over a year now and I must say, this forum has played a big part in my choosing to stick with fedora. The friendliness of this forum is simply amazing! Cheers!
Old 10th March 2012, 11:22 PM
tox

windows_7firefox

im sure leigh will be back. but now that he doesnt have that Huge ugly Cloud hanging on his back - banning spammers etc all the time, he's free to do anything as he pleases now. i felt the same way when i was a CM.

so having said that, when can we expect a forum software upgrade?
Old 11th March 2012, 12:21 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Some of you may have already noticed there have been some substantial changes in the staff of the forum in the last few days. These changes are somewhat ongoing, and have generated further changes to the way the staff does business.

Bottom line? Both Bob and Leigh have selected to retire.

Running this beast is a voluntary thing, and their reasons for not only serving but also the time, and circumstances of stepping down from that service are their own. It is ours to be respectfully grateful for the unbelievable hours and efforts they have contributed to the forum, the community and even fedora and linux in general.
Change is a natural process. Fedora Forum reached the point of being the reference in term of quality of posts. Both Bob and Leigh have done tremendous good job for the public especially dealing with numerous spammers that plagued majority of Internet infrastructure.

Hopefully the administrative staff will further improve the quality of the forum.
Old 11th March 2012, 12:29 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

should upgrade Finalzone to Admin status

i just hope that AskFedora crap forum wont take over this
Old 11th March 2012, 12:32 AM
bob Offline

linuxfirefox

Greg, when you put your foot in it, you really do! http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267337 Rahul created that site with our blessings and full support. It's a different idea.

Old 11th March 2012, 12:35 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
i just hope that AskFedora crap forum wont take over this
Why would they? Two sources are better than one, and getting people the answers they need is the goal. I think there's plenty of room enough in the fedora-verse for both. <....>
Old 11th March 2012, 12:57 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Why would they? Two sources are better than one , and getting people the answers they need is the goal. I think there's plenty of room enough in the fedora-verse for both. <....>
true that, but what im refering to is that i would hope this forum will still be here. i'll be lost without it

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Greg, when you put your foot in it, you really do! http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267337 Rahul created that site with our blessings and full support. It's a different idea.
yeah i know i got foot an mouth disease
Old 11th March 2012, 03:07 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Bummer. Good luck guys.
Old 11th March 2012, 03:36 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Bummer. Good luck guys.
+!, and thanks for all the cinnamon.
Old 11th March 2012, 03:45 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I wish to give Leigh and bob a very big thanks for the great job they have done, and having the patience (and hip waders) to wade through all of the BS on here at times, dealing with it in a proper manner.

I wish them luck in whatever they decide to do, and hope they do decide to stick around on here. Their advice has been instrumental in making this one of the best sites around.

Heck, they even put up with my Gnome 3 rants without banning me (I have tried to tone things down a lot on that subject, though.)
Old 11th March 2012, 04:01 AM
bob Offline

linuxfirefox

(crap! Forgot to do that)

Old 11th March 2012, 04:03 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Ah, yes! Number seven on the to-do list. Hang in there ... we'll get to it sooner or later. <....>
Old 11th March 2012, 04:10 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Well, the way F17, you may get the opportunity to see more rants Seriously, I have been thinking about going back to F14 after trying out F17 for a week or so now.