Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th February 2012, 05:54 PM
DemonGodKid Offline

linuxfirefox
New computer build

I am building a new computer i am thinking about amd 16 core server cpu http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/cpu/opteron_6276

or a amd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103961

or an intel cpu of some kind

i am really leaning towards a 16 core for several reasons

now i am decent at computers and knowledge about all of things ingeneral
except this area since i havent had a new desktop since 2007

i think 16 cores would be better than the amd fx 8 core since i do alot of multi tasking and i have an old q6600 quad core and really boggs down with everything i have open esp with hundreds+ of firefox windows open and watching videos get really choppy plus other programs i run the exprereance goes from flowing like water to molasses

if i have a question

is firefox muti threaded or is there a way to run or choose which tabs/windows run on which cpu and or a way to run mutiable instances of firefox and retain all my data from each one since running muti firefox could corrupt or not write to the files also

i just thought this up could i use firefox sync to sync between all firefox's running and have a seperate install for each.

i really like firefox portable on windows is there one for linux / or one in development?

or would it be better to buy an i7 or fx-8 core and over clock to lets say 5 or 6 ghz for amd

and how many programms are coming to opencl in linux for useage of the gpu in the program?

and the other reason i wanted the amd 16 core i can easily buy another one and a new mainboard and have 32 cores and more ram

any help would be greatly apreacated.

==================================
EDIT
and i like to play chess would more cores help calcuate the computer chess strategy quicker?

END of EDIT
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and because i q660 doesnt suport vitualization

:/

Last edited by DemonGodKid; 27th February 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:41 PM
marko Online

linuxfirefox
Re: New computer build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonGodKid View Post
and because i q660 doesnt suport vitualization
:/
The Q6600 does support virtualization, why did you think it doesn't?
Old 27th February 2012, 07:54 PM
DemonGodKid Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The Q6600 does support virtualization, why did you think it doesn't?
because when ever i run a vitual machine it takes for ever to get to the part to install windows
Old 29th February 2012, 09:14 AM
marko Online

linuxfirefox

Well it does, maybe your bios isn't activated for vmx (Intel Q6600 supports Intel's vmx hardware virtual extensions). I have a Q6600 and I'm sure it does hardware virtualization

A basic way to tell is to check the /proc/cpuinfo file for "vmx" in the flags lists (there will be four, one for each core)
Old 29th February 2012, 11:15 PM
angryfirelord Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
i think 16 cores would be better than the amd fx 8 core since i do alot of multi tasking
Depends on what you're doing. If you're running 5 virtual machines, then maybe I can see going for that. However, having 5 windows open while playing music doesn't count as multitasking. Generally, you want to go with the better architecture. I've got an Athlon II X2 and that certainly has plenty of kick.

In my opinion, go with an i5 and stick a nice nVidia card in it. Save the rest for something important, like food. Unless this is for a business environment, there's no need to spend thousands on server-grade hardware for running a chess game and Windows XP.
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:07 AM
DemonGodKid Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
Depends on what you're doing. If you're running 5 virtual machines, then maybe I can see going for that. However, having 5 windows open while playing music doesn't count as multitasking. Generally, you want to go with the better architecture. I've got an Athlon II X2 and that certainly has plenty of kick.

In my opinion, go with an i5 and stick a nice nVidia card in it. Save the rest for something important, like food. Unless this is for a business environment, there's no need to spend thousands on server-grade hardware for running a chess game and Windows XP.
i run alot of stuff all the time

HUNDREADS+ OF WINDOWS open in fire fox at a time and at times 60 videos or more and other programs it just wont cut it for me and more

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
On a 24x7 server every watt you burn cost about $1/year in the US (more in California) - so it's not inconsiderable.
In addition the extra heat means more summer cooling, more fans and more noise. Those will be really unplasant systems to be around IMO.

Having said that - I'm pretty certain from your comments you have no clue where the bottlenecks are in your system or if a multicore would even help at all.

More cores do not help disk speed and they don't help memory bandwidth. If that's the issue you are wasting money.

That smells like a disk issue or swap but YOU need to measure what is happening and not guess.

Firefox is indeed multithreaded, and the flash player runs as a separate process - but that ignores the real issue - how many processes & threads are in the run state at one time ? Typically it's a lot lower than you imagine.

I suggest you post the complete output of the 'sar' command and the 'uptime' command -after you load up your system with normal activity for a while. Also post the result of 'free'. What is your disk configuration - run 'hdparm -t /dev/sda[bc...]*' What is your memory speed in practice (boot memtest86+ and read-off the dram data rate).

It could be true that you are running some multicolored game or process, but ... it's not firefox. More likely firefox is eating up your memory and certain versions of firefox also use file sync that can lock a system momentarily.

t - I'm pretty certain from your comments you have no clue where the bottlenecks are in your system or if a multicore would even help at all

im pretty sure my bottle next is a 7 year old quad core/ system

when i have many windows open in firefox at a time my computer really bogs down

it is repeatable esp when i have open hundreds+ webpages at a time

"It could be true that you are running some multicolored game or process, but ... it's not firefox. More likely firefox is eating up your memory and certain versions of firefox also use file sync that can lock a system momentarily.
"

That smells like a disk issue or swap but YOU need to measure what is happening and not guess.

i run my VM in ram or atleast the iso file to install

is there anything i can check to see whats going on

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

is there a guide on how to properly use a VM ive been trying to use oracle but id like to use vmware it says i need to complie some stuff but i cant find any where to tell me how to do it
Old 1st March 2012, 01:56 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxopera

I don't know much about hardware, but I will say I have an eye for those Intel cpus that run at 3Ghz, dual cores, and only 35 watts, my electric bill is high enough
Pat Jr.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:16 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

On a 24x7 server every watt you burn cost about $1/year in the US (more in California) - so it's not inconsiderable.
In addition the extra heat means more summer cooling, more fans and more noise. Those will be really unpleasant systems to be around IMO.

Having said that - I'm pretty certain from your comments you have no clue where the bottlenecks are in your system or if a multicore would even help at all.

More cores do not help disk speed and they don't help memory bandwidth. If that's the issue you are wasting money.

Quote:
because when ever i run a vitual machine it takes for ever to get to the part to install windows

Firefox is indeed multithreaded, and the flash player runs as a separate process - but that ignores the real issue - how many processes & threads are in the run state at one time ? Typically it's a lot lower than you imagine.

I suggest you post the complete output of the 'sar' command and the 'uptime' command -after you load up your system with normal activity for a while. Also post the result of 'free'. What is your disk configuration - run 'hdparm -t /dev/sda[bc...]*' What is your memory speed in practice (boot memtest86+ and read-off the dram data rate).

It could be true that you are running some multicolored game or process, but ... it's not firefox. More likely firefox is eating up your memory and certain versions of firefox also use file sync that can lock a system momentarily.

Old 1st March 2012, 03:36 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxopera

sar?
doesn't seem to be available in my f16 box or in the regular repos?
Pat Jr.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:09 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcLJr View Post
sar?
doesn't seem to be available in my f16 box or in the regular repos?
It's in ...
sysstat-10.0.2-2.fc16.x86_64

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Code:
Name        : sysstat
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 10.0.2
Release     : 2.fc16
Size        : 935 k
Repo        : installed
From repo   : fedora
Summary     : The sar and iostat system monitoring commands
URL         : http://perso.orange.fr/sebastien.godard/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : This package provides the sar and iostat commands for Linux. Sar and
            : iostat enable system monitoring of disk, network, and other IO
            : activity.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:34 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxopera

Thank You for the point to.
Pat Jr.
Old 3rd March 2012, 03:42 AM
DemonGodKid Offline

linuxfirefox

i will return tommorw or tonight with the results just installed now restarting
Old 4th March 2012, 01:09 AM
DemonGodKid Offline

linuxfirefox

hey just wanted to let everyone know im feeling under the weather and wont be on for a week or 2

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

and what does this mean? [damon@unknown1c6f65a06b16 ~]$ sudo systemctl enable sysstat.service

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

could it be because thats the first time i used to sudo cmd instead of su -

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator."

i guess i have to lecture myself
Old 4th March 2012, 06:10 AM
marko Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonGodKid View Post

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

and what does this mean? [damon@unknown1c6f65a06b16 ~]$ sudo systemctl enable sysstat.service

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

could it be because thats the first time i used to sudo cmd instead of su -

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator."

i guess i have to lecture myself

sudo is traditionally a way for non-system admin people to run some limited commands as if they were root. The compromise is that the commands that sudo will allow to run is filtered on a per-user or per-group basis. (the real root user runs 'visudo' and configures all this). But even though they are being allowed to run those commands, they get that warning message
Old 29th March 2012, 01:55 PM
AlanSac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I went through the same things 6 weeks ago. The first step was to check Toms Hardware at http://www.tomshardware.com/
I wanted virtualization and a 65 w processor to keep heat buildup down. My choice went to i3-2130 and the Intel Z68DB board, Nvidia 550TI card and 16 GM memory. Case CoolerMaster HAF912, Power Supply CoolerMaster 450w Bronze, Sony light scribe DVDRW, and a Seagate 2TB drive. Total build cost from Tiger Direct - $800 Note: this board requires everything to be SATA, even the optical drives.

I have never seen more than 30% utilization on any of the four cores. This is my 4th system build, and I firmly believe in lots of cooling - I have 4 case fans, plus the CPU fan. I'm looking for longevity and good output rather than hard-core gaming. I am running three other OS in Virtual Box - it's great!

Using Fedora 16

Tags
build