Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why you should work for free

i agreed, gr8 post! IMHO.

http://www.sean-johnson.com/2012/02/...work-for-free/

You might not be as good as you think you are. Or you might be better, and just terrible at letting people know. Either way, it’s important to remember that nobody owes you anything. Experience is more important than money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Why you should work for free

well... yeah... it's easy for me to shrug my shoulders and say, "that's the difference between a job and a career." But remember: if you can't spot the dumbest person at the table, then it's probably you.

birdwatcher Guest

Interesting "article".

It reminds me of a company I worked for once who took in a person that had been unemployed for long, this was beneficial to us since a gov institution paid most of his salary. It turned out he was lazy and didn't seem dedicated to learn or work and came hours late some days with excuses like "overslept", "missed the buss". Not only that, this guy was a bit odd. I was the one teaching him mostly (since I know my stuff) but he didn't really pay attention as was shown when he played with his phone in front of me the first day of work, like what the... (put that away or at least wait till I'm out) The dude even played with his phone when the boss walked by and ofc we had to let him go.

This guy got paid but had he not he would just end up with nothing gained. Working for free is probably not a good choice for everyone.

It can probably be a good way to learn a profession if you are really dedicated and got some talent. But its also a gamble and if your attitude is bad I probably would rather sit at home than trying.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher
    Interesting "article".

It reminds me of a company I worked for once who took in a person that had been unemployed for long, this was beneficial to us since a gov institution paid most of his salary. It turned out he was lazy and didn't seem dedicated to learn or work and came hours late some days with excuses like "overslept", "missed the buss". Not only that, this guy was a bit odd.
    You referring to me?

The guy was probably just looking for a job so he could keep his govt benefits and was looking to get canned at the first opportunity so he could go back home and kick up his feet while collecting a freebie handout.

birdwatcher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    The guy was probably just looking for a job so he could keep his govt benefits and was looking to get canned at the first opportunity so he could go back home and kick up his feet while collecting a freebie handout.
    I guess that is a likely reason, even tho he wasn't forced to come work for us as far as I know, he even was to an interview along with an other person and if he really didn't want the work he could have blown it there.

My theory is that he just didn't understand social codes or felt like this wasn't for him or had a hard time keeping focus or something. = O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher
    Interesting "article".

It reminds me of a company I worked for once who took in a person that had been unemployed for long, this was beneficial to us since a gov institution paid most of his salary. It turned out he was lazy and didn't seem dedicated to learn or work and came hours late some days with excuses like "overslept", "missed the buss". Not only that, this guy was a bit odd. I was the one teaching him mostly (since I know my stuff) but he didn't really pay attention as was shown when he played with his phone in front of me the first day of work, like what the... (put that away or at least wait till I'm out) The dude even played with his phone when the boss walked by and ofc we had to let him go.

This guy got paid but had he not he would just end up with nothing gained. Working for free is probably not a good choice for everyone.

It can probably be a good way to learn a profession if you are really dedicated and got some talent. But its also a gamble and if your attitude is bad I probably would rather sit at home than trying.

Poor guy. I've never bothered to explain a late morning... hell I've left sites at 3pm telling them, 'I've got a 300km drive in front of me and I going home for both supper and sex. Got a problem with that?'

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutesy anecdotes like this guy's aren't going to apply to most people; he was able to move to New York City and "landed a position as an account manager for a startup doing university marketing." I don't know this guy's history but looking at his website he talks about his father being a CEO and a consultant, so he appears to come from a privileged background.

In the old days "working for free" used to be called slavery, and I'm sure some employers would like to bring it back. This guy is an employer himself now, so no wonder he wants people to work for free! Some of what he writes sounds like the old ridiculous Horatio Alger stories from long ago. It's amazing that anyone nowadays still believes that sort of nonsense.
    Last edited by RupertPupkin; 27th February 2012 at 08:16 AM.

LinaFeng Guest

i think work for money is very hard. if you work for free then you will have a happy mode, because it can enrich your life.

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LinaFeng
    i think work for money is very hard. if you work for free then you will have a happy mode, because it can enrich your life.
    Enjoy your ban

About LinaFeng

Biography
    I am a seller about the jewellet. And i sell the car gps dvd for all of the word. So i hope you can interested in our company.
    Interests
    play,sports,read,painting
    Occupation
    seller

tox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    Enjoy your ban
    i wonder if it was bad bee i lost count on how many accounts he/she would have here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

less become real, more become imagine. sort like between..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky you. If I'd tried that, I would have heard ...

"Wow! No. Nothing at all. In fact, let me help. Here's something prettily pink that you can share with your significant other."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Lucky you. If I'd tried that, I would have heard ...

"Wow! No. Nothing at all. In fact, let me help. Here's something prettily pink that you can share with your significant other."
    np. 24hrs later and you're another competitor knocking on doors costing him even more money.

Late Edit: Yeah they'll write you a few nasty letters, maybe even a cease order but a quick summary will be, 'you can't deny him his livelihood.'
    Last edited by beaker_; 28th February 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble is, if you work for free your work is of "no value" to the recipient! Unfortunately, none of us are happier than when we have something to complain about. So - I make sure everyone has to pay the last penny I am owed (present company excepted). Their complaints are for their own good, after all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a lot of truth to that. Especially when it comes to folks wanting Windows® tech support. Everyone wanted it for free, so I just quit doing it. I tell them I run Linux now, and it's trouble free, so I really don't remember how to fix Windows® anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast