Old 26th February 2012, 12:37 PM
mmix Offline
Forum Regular

linuxfirefox
GNOME 3.4 Beta 1 Released

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...5-002-41-NW-GN

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GNOME...d-255001.shtml

Quote:
The GNOME 3.4 Beta 1 release is ready for testing and it brings updates to main components, such as GNOME Contacts, GNOME Control Center, GNOME Desktop, GNOME Disk Utility, GNOME Panel, GNOME Screensaver, GNOME Session, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Shell, GNOME System Monitor, GNOME Themes Standard, Mousetweaks, and GNOME User Docs.

Moreover, the following apps were updated: NetworkManager (including network-manager-applet), Baobab, Empathy, Evince, Yelp, Nautilus, and Eye of GNOME.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:43 AM
JohnnyF Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: GNOME 3.4 Beta 1 Released

I for one will be looking forward to seeing it..I feel comfortable with Gnome .. I abandoned Ubuntu when it dropped Gnope desktop in favour of Unity. I tried it but it simply did not appeal and was sooo slow. It simply hasn't the feel of Gnome-can one download the later Gnome version for a try??
Old 19th March 2012, 08:14 AM
muep Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyF View Post
can one download the later Gnome version for a try??
At least Fedora 17 beta will likely have it. There is still at least a couple of weeks to wait before the beta is released, though.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:36 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

why is it that i dont care? FC17 doesnt even work on my system
Old 19th March 2012, 10:55 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
FC17 doesnt even work on my system
Greg, just out of curiosity, is your system a newer box or is it an older one? What are the specs?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 19th March 2012, 10:59 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Greg, just out of curiosity, is your system a newer box or is it an older one? What are the specs?
its relatively New, but Glenn, why does FC16 boot on it but FC17 doesn't? im sure i had my Hardware listed in my sig before leigh decided to remove it cause of Mouse issues

when i can be bothered downloading a FC17 TC2 KDE LiveCD i will let you know but so far i haven't had much luck . i have more luck at changing channels on the Tv

this Release would have to be the same as FC4, even that wouldn't work

the usual line is, " we'll fix it up in the next release "

but when i boot a FC17 LiveCD i get bad Graphics. ( DRM Nouveau ) errors. it'll still boot the CD, even try to load PLymouth ( which doesnt ) then gets to a i dunno a crippled Graphix . i can however get into i think its a console from ( CTRL+ALT+F2 ) i just dunno what to do from there on end.

but my take on FC17 is that i'd be forced to use the blobed Nvidia driver cause the Nouveau one dont work

i'll add my Hardware in PM or whatever tomorrow cause im to tired now to do it

last but not least, of is it? No i havent filed a Bugzilla either

as i said to bob, im gonna try OPenSuse 12.2 M2 an so on. might be time for a change

Last edited by tox; 19th March 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:18 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Talking about the "won't boot" issue should probably be in a new thread if we continue with it. Are you trying to boot the Live CD's or a full install? If full install is it a multi-boot scenario? I have issues on a multi-boot machine where I need to edit the boot menu to get a few of my Fedora installs to boot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 19th March 2012, 11:28 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Talking about the "won't boot" issue should probably be in a new thread if we continue with it. Are you trying to boot the Live CD's or a full install? If full install is it a multi-boot scenario? I have issues on a multi-boot machine where I need to edit the boot menu to get a few of my Fedora installs to boot.
Glenn, i sort of did add comments to a thread where i still cant boot it, in FC17 dev forum, no one mentioned anything to try an Help me solve this problem. im sure AdamW would of seen it but he's to busy so im not gonna blame him. i use LiveCD's before i try a DvD, i thought that was the logical way of doing it? . i'll PM you tomorrow Glenn. no point continuing this in this thread. or split it off to a seperate thread
Old 19th March 2012, 11:34 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming, GNOME 3.4 Beta 1 Released. I wonder if I can expect that in the next update. Let's boot into '17 and see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19th March 2012, 04:05 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I wonder if the 3.4 release fixed the super bloat and stripped out features that have been in every release of Gnome 3?

Seems like each release has less features and more bloat.
Old 19th March 2012, 04:17 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

Hmmm, I don't see an update to Alacarte in the list...
Old 19th March 2012, 05:49 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox

http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features
It has some nice features: application actions/menus seems like a logical step and the boxes thing might improve the usability of libvirt.

However, although it looks nice, a global menu might numb down the desktop even more (just take a look at the disk tool for example, not that I really used the benchmark a lot).