Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:04 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox
No support for flash player in linux, except google-chrome!

Adobe is stopping its flash support for linux, except for google-chrome.
Mozilla is not interested in new pepper project by adobe.
What does it mean to us?

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...x-1440104.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:10 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox
Re: No support for flash player in linux, except google-chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
Adobe is stopping its flash support for linux, except for google-chrome.
Mozilla is not interested in new pepper project by adobe.
What does it mean to us?

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...x-1440104.html

Quote:
For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the “Pepper” API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe. Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.
Couldn't firefox swap to the pepper api?
We have five years to find an alternative .
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:35 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

Sucks, just submitted a comment.
The hit on submit button just reloaded the page to a blank comment field, with no notification if anything has been submitted or not.Guess not, as the comment list there still show's 0

Oh well, either way, 5 years for html5 to grow and get a wide accepted standart (hope), or gnash to become more stable/public.
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:28 PM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox

it ok, i am using webm/html5 comes with firefox.
i forgot how to install adobe flash player :)
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:59 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

In 5-years-time Flash will be a largely irrelevant legacy thing anyway, and good riddance. Gnash or Lightspark or whatever should be enough by then to run anything left.

Gareth
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:50 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Adobe seems to "hate" linux for some reason. Earlier, they stopped Adobe Reader (as I remember) and now flash! I wonder why!
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:26 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

I seriously doubt gnash has any future.Html5 has the best chance.
I hope html5 reaches there before flash becomes totally obsolete.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Adobe seems to "hate" linux for some reason. Earlier, they stopped Adobe Reader (as I remember) and now flash! I wonder why!
For the most obvious reason that we(linux users) constitute less than 2% of total desktop PCs.
edit:
Its firefox that doesn't want pepper.But they must have their reasons.

Last edited by hadrons123; 22nd February 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:51 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

It's a good thing that AdblockPlus will now block video ads in Chrome 17. That's honestly the main reason I had a separate install of flash. Will miss being able to download flash movies from Firefox but that's not a major need.
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:24 PM
StephenH Online

linuxfirefox

Right at the moment, Gnash is no substitute for Flash. Videos that play smoothly with the Flash plugin are horrible in Gnash. It is nice that it plays videos at all but the quality of the video is unacceptable. I just switched back and forth this morning to test it.

I hope that HTML5 becomes better. I was looking at some online benchmarks from Tom's Hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...untu,3129.html
The HTML 5 testing showed how horrible current performance is for Linux compared to Windows.
Flash is currently better, but still lags far behind Windows in performance on Linux.

Admittedly, Tom's Hardware was using AMD graphics for this testing. It would have been interesting to see if Nvidia graphics would have yielded significantly different results. I hope Firefox already has something in the works to address this situation.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:56 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

HTML 5 video would be ready now if people could agree on a standard and content providers would accept that DRM is not a good thing.
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:08 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
.... and content providers would accept that DRM is not a good thing.
Yeah that - I have grave doubts about that happening .... I don't think it will happen in the near future as I see it!
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:36 PM
tox

windows_7firefox
Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

Quote:
As discussed in the just released Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes Adobe has been working closely with Google to develop a single modern API for hosting plugins within the browser (one which could replace the current Netscape plugin API being used by the Flash Player). The PPAPI code-named “Pepper” aims to provide a layer between the plugin and browser that abstracts away differences between browser and operating system implementations.

Because of this work, Adobe has been able to partner with Google in providing a “Pepper” implementation of Flash Player for all x86/64 platforms supported by the Google Chrome browser. Google will begin distributing this new Pepper-based Flash Player as part of Chrome on all platforms, including Linux, later this year.

For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the “Pepper” API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe. Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.

Flash Player will continue to support browsers using non-”Pepper” plugin APIs on platforms other than Linux.

We will be providing a debug player implementation of the Flash Player browser plugin on Linux, and will update the whitepaper once we have more details on how it will be distributed.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

IMO, perhaps this is Adobe an Googles way of forcing Linux Users to use Chrome or Chromium and Dump Firefox. just another means for Google to Topple Firefox

what will Fedora Devs do? surely they'll have to maybe start Making Chromium as there Default browser instead in Fedora and possibly RHEL

Maybe the future is webkit based browsers?

if anyone has seen the Australis Theme for Firefox. thats what Firefox will look like coming around Firefox15 or future releases. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=23&t=2400725

Last edited by tox; 22nd February 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:58 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox
Re: Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post

what will Fedora Devs do? surely they'll have to maybe start Making Chromium as there Default browser instead in Fedora and possibly RHEL
I seriously doubt that.Fedora don't even have chromium in their repos.
I asked Tom callaway once and he said there are patent encumbered formats involved in chromium.
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:02 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
I asked Tom callaway once and he said there are patent encumbered formats involved in chromium.
not in the Fedora repo . but it is in spots fedorapeople repo which is just as good anyway.
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:09 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123
@ tox How do you cirucmvent that in Fedora.
Fedora would be happy to ship firefox or epiphany but not chromium, IMHO.