Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st February 2012, 09:35 AM
GrouchyGaijin Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Dropbox installation in 16

Hi all,

I'm brand new to Fedora though I've used Ubuntu for a while. I thought I'd try Fedora to see if I like it.
One of the first things I did was install Dropbox 32 bit. It seems to be synicing but I got an error message that I needed to manually add my user account to the fstab file when Dropbox asked for my password.

Questions:

1. Is this so Dropbox on my computer can connect to my account on their servers automatically when I login?

2. How do I edit, I mean, what do I actually put in the fstab file?

Thank you,

GG
Old 21st February 2012, 03:02 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Dropbox installation in 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
Hi all,

I'm brand new to Fedora though I've used Ubuntu for a while. I thought I'd try Fedora to see if I like it.
One of the first things I did was install Dropbox 32 bit. It seems to be synicing but I got an error message that I needed to manually add my user account to the fstab file when Dropbox asked for my password.

Questions:

1. Is this so Dropbox on my computer can connect to my account on their servers automatically when I login?
How did you install dropbox in your computer?

During installation, it should ask you to select the location of Dropbox folder - and you can choose your preference. The default would be the home folder. Also, dropbox is automatically added to startup and so will start as you login in to the OS. You can see this if you type gnome-session-properties in the terminal (assuming you are using GNOME)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
2. How do I edit, I mean, what do I actually put in the fstab file?

Thank you,

GG
I do not think this is needed. It works fine without adding anything to the fstab file.
Old 21st February 2012, 03:13 PM
GrouchyGaijin Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Re: Dropbox installation in 16

I installed Dropbox by going to their site and downloading the rpm file and then choosing install when the download had finished.

It did ask me to choose a folder which I did and also asked if I had an account which I do.
Everything seemed standard and then it said that I should enter my root password so that it could connect I believe, (it did this on Ubuntu as well).

However this time my root password was rejected and the error about not being able to add my user to the fstab file came up.
Old 21st February 2012, 03:22 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Dropbox installation in 16

Ha ! I choose the "Do Not change mount settings" or something like that - where there was no need for entering the root password. It would still work fine without "changing the mount settings" unless you are particular about changing the mount options.

P.S. I did not look to see if there were significant advantages of one over the other ...

Tags
dropbox, installation