Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th February 2012, 03:07 PM
ecc25 Offline

linuxchrome
External display and sound issues with FC16 on Dell XPS

Hello,
I upgraded my laptop (Dell XPS L701X) from FC14/Gnome to FC16/KDE, and the experience is significantly worse. Specifically, I have the following two hardware-related issues:

1) Using an external display or projector
The Dell connects via an Apple Mini Displayport adaptor. In FC14/Gnome, this worked faultlessly. Now, 90% of the time I make the connection, the display freezes completely (and recovers when the adaptor is pulled out again). Sometimes the output display works after several reattempts (and then works fine), but I cannot reproduce success reliably.

2) Speakers do not disconnect when headphones plugged in
Again, this worked perfectly under FC14/Gnome. Now the only way I can stop the speakers producing sound is to use "alsamixer -c0" and manually change the volume settings. I have the latest version of Alsa (1.0.25).

Can anyone suggest any fixes for the above? I have extensively searched the internet and cannot find anything satisfactory.

Many thanks,
Edwin

Tags
dell, display, external, fc16, issues, sound, xps

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search