Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2012, 03:27 PM
Eyjay1991 Offline

windows_7chrome
New User Fedora 16/Linux

Hello, I'm a what u can call newbie geek, i quite mess with windows, basic repairs, into basic programming vb6/mysql/php (still learning)/html/css, those are my background. I wanna dual boot fedora with Windows 7.

My partitions are these :

C : Windows 7 OS : 63.84 GB
D : Data Partition : 195.28 GB
E : Fedora : Unallocated ( 39.23 )

I used Ease Us Home Edition Partition Tool in Windows 7 to resize my D partition. So here are my questions :

1. Is my E space enough for Fedora Basic Use? (Learning Process)
2. What bugs are in F-16? I just read a recent post that Wi-Fi is not working.
3. I have 2 spare 2GB Flash Drive, can i use it to install Fedora?
4. I've tried Ubuntu before but didn't really get a nice lengthy exposure on it. What guides can you recommend on me? Currently i'm working on a school project. So i need a server, is WAMP can be installed on Fedora/Linux?
5. Coming from Windows, what Software Applications you used that has port here in Linux? e.g. Internet Download Manager, CD Burner XP.
6. What tweaks i need to optimize fedora? I understand that in Fedora/Linux, it's like a MUST to learn the command line or cmd in windows, Terminal.

Thanks, i'm really new and would like be guided, even though i grown up using Windows, I'm still open to Open Source OS like these.
Old 9th February 2012, 03:47 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: New User Fedora 16/Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyjay1991 View Post
Hello, I'm a what u can call newbie geek, i quite mess with windows, basic repairs, into basic programming vb6/mysql/php (still learning)/html/css, those are my background. I wanna dual boot fedora with Windows 7.

My partitions are these :

C : Windows 7 OS : 63.84 GB
D : Data Partition : 195.28 GB
E : Fedora : Unallocated ( 39.23 )

I used Ease Us Home Edition Partition Tool in Windows 7 to resize my D partition. So here are my questions :

1. Is my E space enough for Fedora Basic Use? (Learning Process)
Yes. About 40GB is definitely enough for learning purposes. Remember to create swap partition when you install Fedora.

Quote:
It depends on your hardware. I did not have any of the problems that others came across. So, it depends.

Quote:
3. I have 2 spare 2GB Flash Drive, can i use it to install Fedora?
If you are referring to creating install media, yes you can. Here are instructions

Quote:
4. I've tried Ubuntu before but didn't really get a nice lengthy exposure on it. What guides can you recommend on me? Currently i'm working on a school project. So i need a server, is WAMP can be installed on Fedora/Linux?
To start with, take a look at this.
As far as I know, you can install LAMP server in Fedora/Linux. Just google for LAMP server installation and you should get some guides for the same.

Quote:
5. Coming from Windows, what Software Applications you used that has port here in Linux? e.g. Internet Download Manager, CD Burner XP.
I am not sure about internet download manager. For burner, there are multiple options. For example, in GNOME, there is brasero and in XFCE, there is xfburn.

Quote:
6. What tweaks i need to optimize fedora? I understand that in Fedora/Linux, it's like a MUST to learn the command line or cmd in windows, Terminal.

Thanks, i'm really new and would like be guided, even though i grown up using Windows, I'm still open to Open Source OS like these.
In my opinion, learning command line is very useful in linux. But you do not necessarily have to start with command line. There are some graphical administration tools too. Tweaks - it depends on what you are thinking about tweaking in the default install. A more specific question would be helpful.

Welcome!

Last edited by nonamedotc; 9th February 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 9th February 2012, 11:19 PM
Eyjay1991 Offline

windows_7chrome

What do you mean by Swap Partition? Also is it possible on linux to have partitions like in windows? So that if the OS is corrupt, the files will not be affected.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:25 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Here is an introduction to swap.

And, yes you can have different partitions. I have seen experienced users using different partitions for /, /boot and /home. But, since you mention that you are using F16 just for test purpose, I would imagine, only one partition (/) should suffice.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:44 PM
Eyjay1991 Offline

windows_7chrome

I see. Yes, because it's a family laptop and there are other users too. So i can't really reformat it all with Fedora. So after i install fedora, then i install swap partition?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:54 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
[...]
2. I read that this is already fixed with the newest kernel version available in the repos
4. here is a guide how to setup an Apache Server (the "HTTPD (PHP enabled)" and mySQL part).

After you installed it, you can enter http://localhost into a internet browser to see if the Apache server is up. Fedora usually uses the path /var/www/html as the files of the webserver.

You probably want to use this folder as user. In this case I suggest that you add your user to the group apache.
Code:
usermod -aG apache yourUSERNAME
then you have to change the ownership and permissions of the folder /var/www/html:
Code:
chgrp -R apache /var/www/html apache
chmod -R g+rwx /var/www/html
to get a documentation for a certain command you can type "man commandname in terminal. Where commandname could be e.g. chmod, chown, mv, rm, cd...

about your swap questions:
in the installation setup you will probably either use the option to use the free space, then it should create a swap partition automatically. Or you choose manual partition setup, I would choose that.
10 GB for /
1 GB for swap
and remaining free space for /home should be ok. You can only have up to 4 primary partitions. Therefore you probably have to create a extended partition, which has several logical partitions (the extended partion counts as one primary partition). Thats probably confusing.
The advantage of the seperate home partition is, that you don't loose all your media data when you reinstall your Linux. Because you usually don't have to reformat the home partion, if it is seperate from / (also called root)

Last edited by Fenrin; 10th February 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:59 PM
Eyjay1991 Offline

windows_7chrome

Uhm. I've just finish creating LIVE USB, i didnt interrupt the process but when i boot from it, this is my error.

Old 10th February 2012, 12:05 AM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfirefox

I've skimmed over but don't see how you created the liveusb. Try:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to...d_use_Live_USB
https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

Sometimes you need to reset the mbr on your memory stick.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:11 AM
Eyjay1991 Offline

windows_7chrome

What do you mean by restarting mbr? I'm sorry if its kinda stupid.
I use these http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to...d_use_Live_USB.
Im now trying UNetBootin.

OK. I've successfully boot the LiveUSB using uNetBootin. But i have problems with it.
First, i can connect to my WiFI, my status is connected but i can't seem to browse. Also i use rhytmbox to play my music in the other partition drive(ntfs) a .mp3 file, it will not play. Will these issues be fix if i choose to install it on drive?

Also what is the equivalent command of fedora for this :

ping <website> -t

e.g. ping www.google.com.ph -t

Last edited by Eyjay1991; 10th February 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:22 AM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfirefox

Try the graphical method and download liveusb-creator. Both methods work. However liveusb-creator is pretty much idiot proof when you have a working ISO.

From a terminal or command line (lin or win):

liveusb-creator --reset-mbr

The trick is knowing your iso is ok.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:50 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
What do you mean by restarting mbr? I'm sorry if its kinda stupid.
I use these http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to...d_use_Live_USB.
Im now trying UNetBootin.

OK. I've successfully boot the LiveUSB using uNetBootin. But i have problems with it.
First, i can connect to my WiFI, my status is connected but i can't seem to browse. Also i use rhytmbox to play my music in the other partition drive(ntfs) a .mp3 file, it will not play. Will these issues be fix if i choose to install it on drive?

Also what is the equivalent command of fedora for this :

ping <website> -t

e.g. ping www.google.com.ph -t

You will not be able to play mp3 in fedora natively. You will need gstreamer-plugins (good/bad/ugly) to play mp3 files. This is something you have to do after installing the OS.

You can do "ping" in linux also. I have done that when needed.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:23 AM
JamesNZ Offline

linuxchrome

I use Fedora's LiveUsb Creator. I do get that error occasionally, if it persist even after rebooting then I just reburn it to the USB and the problems just goes away.

- Jesus
Old 10th February 2012, 12:51 AM
Eyjay1991 Offline

windows_7chrome

Ok guys, i installed fedora, but can't get internet to work, i mean wifi. Right now im using windows partition to post here. I can connect to Wifi, but just no connection. What is the problem here?

Old 10th February 2012, 01:42 AM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

Hmm, have you updated yet?
The current working kernel, which has "fixed the wifi-issue" is 3.2.3-2.
You may figure this by typing uname -r into a terminal window (shell, prompt, console).

This said, for dvd and mp3 you would need to visit:
* rpm.livna.org
* rpmfusion.org/Configuration

For flash, you either may sudo yum install gnash or visit adobe.com and search for the linux version.
Or have a look at the shiny yellow link on top of the forum page.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th February 2012, 04:18 AM
Eyjay1991 Offline

how can i update if I don't have. connection, I can say I have 0% Linux experience.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk

Tags
16 or linux, fedora, user