Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th January 2012, 02:35 AM
noob13 Offline

windows_7ie
Question How do I make a bootable USB?

I have a four disc set for Red Hat Linux and I used the the LiveUSB Creator to create a Live USB but I don't know what to do from there. I've booted from the USB and it brings me to the install screen. When it asks me what kind of media the packages are to be installed from I choose local CD ROM but then it says it can't detect it or something of the like.
Old 26th January 2012, 04:18 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome
Re: How do I make a bootable USB?

Could you list what options you are getting? In case of live CD (or Live USB) it should start installing after "install bootloader" screen as far as I remember.
Old 26th January 2012, 05:16 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

You may have to choose hard drive, then choose the USB drive--it might not be obvious, the drive might show up as sda rather than sdb, but should show the size, so it should be clear.
Old 26th January 2012, 03:41 PM
noob13 Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Could you list what options you are getting? In case of live CD (or Live USB) it should start installing after "install bootloader" screen as far as I remember.
So when I boot from the USB (or CDs) it sends me to a screen where i can choose to install in text mode or with a GUI. I choose GUI. Then it asks for a language and type of keyboard. After that it asks "What type of media contains the packages to be installed." so I select CD Rom. Then it tells me "Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk?" The first option gives me a long list of drivers (I guess) that mostly seem to be SCSI related and the second option gives me another error.

I've tried selecting the hard drive like you said but it just gives me the same error message.
Old 26th January 2012, 04:42 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

What version of RH--that sounds a bit old.
Old 26th January 2012, 05:09 PM
noob13 Offline

windows_7ie

The discs say Red Hat Fedora Core 2.
Old 26th January 2012, 05:49 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Ok, that is ancient by nwo.

I would recommend downloading one of the available iso files from fedoraproject

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Unless there is some compelling reason to use the one you have. It's completely unsupported, will be less likely to work on any relatively new hardware, probably has security issues that have since been fixed, etc. That's from 2004 with end of life in 2005, when the new version of Doctor Who began, in other words, reached end of life 7 years ago.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Ok, that is ancient by nwo.

I would recommend downloading one of the available iso files from fedoraproject

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Unless there is some compelling reason to use the one you have. It's completely unsupported, will be less likely to work on any relatively new hardware, probably has security issues that have since been fixed, etc. That's from 2004 with end of life in 2005, when the new version of Doctor Who began, in other words, reached end of life 7 years ago.
Old 26th January 2012, 06:10 PM
noob13 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Its what I'm supposed to use for my class at college. Would I be able to get away with a newer version?
Old 26th January 2012, 07:50 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Probably not. I don't know what the class covers. Not knowing your school or situation, it's easy for all of us to say, Well, you should talk to your professor, or you should complain to the school about the age of the system being used in class, but I don't know if that's at all practical or not. Can you use a CD, rather than USB and just install it that way? They are cheap, about $20-$30 in the US (again, not knowing your situation, possibly, as a student, $30 isn't cheap), or maybe you could borrow one. That is, if your machine doesn't have a CD drive, you could use an external drive.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't know what did and didn't work with Fedora 2.
Old 27th January 2012, 08:45 PM
noob13 Offline

windows_7ie

Thats ok and thank you.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:21 AM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Probably not. I don't know what the class covers. Not knowing your school or situation, it's easy for all of us to say, Well, you should talk to your professor, or you should complain to the school about the age of the system being used in class, but I don't know if that's at all practical or not. Can you use a CD, rather than USB and just install it that way? They are cheap, about $20-$30 in the US (again, not knowing your situation, possibly, as a student, $30 isn't cheap), or maybe you could borrow one. That is, if your machine doesn't have a CD drive, you could use an external drive.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't know what did and didn't work with Fedora 2.
+1. Although your aptitude will determine your level of success, I'd strongly question what the curriculum is preparing you for, and the profs fitness. Then again I always like knocking heads together. But.., it is your tuition.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to..._use_a_Live_CD
https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
Old 29th January 2012, 02:30 AM
noob13 Offline

windows_7ie

The teacher says Linux doesn't really change :S thats why he has kept the same book. The class is supposed to prepare me for the CompTIA Linux+ exam.
Old 29th January 2012, 03:17 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob13 View Post
The teacher says Linux doesn't really change :S thats why he has kept the same book. The class is supposed to prepare me for the CompTIA Linux+ exam.
Not quite true.

Even between Fedora version 14 and 16, there were numerous and very major changes.

One big one is how you enable and disable services now. instead of chkconfig, you use systemctl. There isn't really a runlevel 3, it's multi-user.target, runlevel 5 is graphical.target.

And a whole lot has changed since Fedora core 2. That was released almost 7 years ago and used the 2.65 kernel. F16 uses the 3.2 kernel. A whole lotta changes have gone in since then.

Grub2 is now the bootloader, new filesystems have been replacing the older ones. ext4 is the default in F16 with BTRFS just around the corner. HAL is no longer used for hardware detection, udisks, upower, and udev are now used. SELinux is now used by default. Systemd replaced sysvinit.

These are just the changes that popped into my head within just a few seconds of reading your message.. There are numerous more changes that I haven't even begun to go into here as well.

So, I would have to say that Linux CONSTANTLY changes.
Old 29th January 2012, 03:03 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

I have another suggestion that you might consider. Scinetific linux which is a red-hat clone has it's release 4.x supported till the next month. Considering FC2 was released in 2004, this could be could be quite close to what you are using. You might consider trying that if it is worth it!

Good luck.
Old 29th January 2012, 03:23 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

+1 to that! Even between F13 or F14 to the latest there have been tonnes of changes. So, claiming that Linux does not change speaks of either ignorance or over-simplification. Could the teacher be referring to the adherence to the unix-style administration scheme perhaps?

Tags
bootable, make, usb