Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2012, 12:24 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Comparison betwen different desktop environments

Hi Friends,

I have collected a few links given below that discuss various desktop environments such as GNONE, KDE, LXDE and Xfce. Please have a look. Thanks.

Comparison of X Window System desktop environments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...p_environments

KDE and Gnome Comparison

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

What is the difference between GNOME, KDE, Xfce, and LXDE?

http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-li...-gnome-or-xfce

KDE vs Gnome

http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 25th January 2012, 01:16 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Comparison betwen different desktop enviornments

Nice! Although it does show a heavy Ubuntu bias. Understandable, I suppose. Children must learn to walk and speak, before they learn to wear hats, and to dance. <....>

And as I get heartily tired of re-explaining this stuff ...

thread stuck.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:24 AM
lala4yaya Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Nice! Although it does show a heavy Ubuntu bias. Understandable, I suppose. Children must learn to walk and speak, before they learn to wear hats, and to dance. <....>

And as I get heartily tired of re-explaining this stuff ...

thread stuck.
I got started with Ubuntu, tried Fedora & CentOS a couple of times, it looks like its going to stick this time with F17.

Linus T. has a pretty funny rage post regarding gnome-shell on his google+ page I stumbled onto last night.
https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorval...ts/UkoAaLDpF4i

I think some of his gripes stem from the fact that some of the qualities that make one a gifted programmer also make them more susceptible to tunnel vision. I can't count the number of times I've seen developers stubbornly defending faulty design decisions. Gnome appears to be disproportionately affected by this.
Old 10th February 2013, 06:51 PM
LinuxNerd Offline

windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala4yaya View Post
I got started with Ubuntu, tried Fedora & CentOS a couple of times, it looks like its going to stick this time with F17.

Linus T. has a pretty funny rage post regarding gnome-shell on his google+ page I stumbled onto last night.
https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorval...ts/UkoAaLDpF4i

I think some of his gripes stem from the fact that some of the qualities that make one a gifted programmer also make them more susceptible to tunnel vision. I can't count the number of times I've seen developers stubbornly defending faulty design decisions. Gnome appears to be disproportionately affected by this.
Started out with Crunchbang, tried out Fedora, Arch, Archbang, GhostBSD, and Tiny Core in the past, currently running the latest Ubuntu with Unity on my computer, and my current fave distros are Ubuntu, Fedora, and Crunchbang.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatewindows View Post
Diddo! I found Ubuntu 7.04 a good place to start off learning about Linux, (when I downloaded Feodra 11, openSuSE 10, and Mandriva, too, Ubuntu was the best place to start off) then I found some Mandrake 8 CDs and thought I would give 'em a spin. I used Linux ever since. Cheers!
Crunchbang or full-blown Debian's a good place to start at too. Testing and Unstable would challenge you more than Stable would. Fedora can also be a handful sometimes as well, which makes it good for intermediates as well as beginners.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:24 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

The psychocats link is quite nice! Illustrative! I think this will be a useful link for me if, at times, I am trying to sell attractive linux to people

OP: Thanks!

Quote:
Children must learn to walk and speak, before they learn to wear hats, and to dance. <....>
Dan, I am requesting license () to use this as a dialogue.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:38 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

You are very welcome to do so. <....>
Old 21st November 2012, 06:55 PM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Diddo! I found Ubuntu 7.04 a good place to start off learning about Linux, (when I downloaded Feodra 11, openSuSE 10, and Mandriva, too, Ubuntu was the best place to start off) then I found some Mandrake 8 CDs and thought I would give 'em a spin. I used Linux ever since. Cheers!

Last edited by Ihatewindows; 21st November 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:06 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorachrome

Its not matching a 100%, but a WM is pretty close to a DE if you have installed the other software already, or love building scrom scratch.
Anway: http://awesome.naquadah.org/
I'd assume its target audience are intermediate linux users, geeks, and lua coders (if you understand lua, you'll love this)

Awesome WM.
A tiling Window Manager, offering several diffrent style templates to tile on as many virtual desktops as you like (default is 9).
Its fast, its lua based, and you have to tweak (volume, battery, wifi, etc) all yourself.

Similar to OpenBox, the main configuration is done within a single file.
But adding widgets (volume, memory, etc) might increase the amount of files required.

IMHO: a must have tried for everyone who wants a minimmalistic desktop.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:41 AM
astui

linuxubuntufirefox

i think it depends on indivisual
Old 10th February 2013, 10:07 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by astui View Post
i think it depends on indivisual
Indivisual turns out to be an interesting word, Forum rules notwithstanding. "Rogue visualist," according to the Urban Dictionary. Or just a freak typo?
Old 10th February 2013, 02:23 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Can I safely assume that is your own YouTube channel?

EDIT: Ooookay. Having ducked the question puts you smack into the category of "Spammer", trying to drive traffic to what I can only presume is your own YouTube channel.

That's a no, no.

Therefore, you are hereby placed on administrative watch, and your link has been removed. If you believe this is in error, you may send me a private message stating your case.

You will remain on the watch list for one day (24 hours) only. If I have not heard from you within that time frame, you will be summarily and immediately banned as a spammer.

Have a nice day.
Old 10th February 2013, 05:56 PM
R3v0lut10nary Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Can I safely assume that is your own YouTube channel?

EDIT: Ooookay. Having ducked the question puts you smack into the category of "Spammer", trying to drive traffic to what I can only presume is your own YouTube channel.

That's a no, no.

Therefore, you are hereby placed on administrative watch, and your link has been removed. If you believe this is in error, you may send me a private message stating your case.

You will remain on the watch list for one day (24 hours) only. If I have not heard from you within that time frame, you will be summarily and immediately banned as a spammer.

Have a nice day.
More than anything, the fact that he's posting from Ubuntu gives away his Spammer status.
Old 10th February 2013, 06:03 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

BTW Dan, if this is going to be a sticky, might it be worth fixing the spelling of the subject?
Old 10th February 2013, 07:43 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Red face Re: Comparison betwen different desktop enviornments

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
BTW Dan, if this is going to be a sticky, might it be worth fixing the spelling of the subject?
Yeesh! And I've looked at it a dozen times today, too! <....> Thanks!
Old 11th February 2013, 08:05 AM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned

macossafari
Re: Comparison betwen different desktop environments

Back to the DE subject.

WindowMaker is pretty well rounded, but some major features keep it from being my favorite.

- There is no clock. Anywhere.
- You cannot connect to a WiFi network so easily. I had to use the KDE system settings.
- There is no way to lock the screen.

Some of the minor bugs include KDE system settings is under a category called openSUSE. LibreOffice is seen as OpenOffice/Star Office. The Opera menus are garbled. That just names a few.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
Indivisual turns out to be an interesting word, Forum rules notwithstanding. "Rogue visualist," according to the Urban Dictionary. Or just a freak typo?
Does the spell checker in Firefox pick it up?