Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th November 2011, 04:56 AM
yro Offline

windows_7opera
What about an Fedora 16 spin with Gnome 2?

Hy all.

I was thinking..

What about an Fedora 16 SPIN with GNOME 2?

I would like to stay with Fedora but I dont like the Gnome 3 at all. Sorry guys..

Is that possible to make that spin? Please somebody help with that.

Sorry about my english.
Old 4th November 2011, 05:01 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: What about an Fedora 16 spin with Gnome 2?

You are not alone in those sentiments, but that's not going to happen. With the release of Gnome 3, Gnome 2 has essentially been abandoned by the Gnome developers.
Old 4th November 2011, 08:11 AM
yro Offline

windows_7opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You are not alone in those sentiments, but that's not going to happen. With the release of Gnome 3, Gnome 2 has essentially been abandoned by the Gnome developers.
I know gnome 2 will be discontinued, but that is exacly my point of an spin with gnome 2...

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

i dont know if you will understand me but i think that the perfect linux distro will be the distro that use the desktop without its apps, just the desktop with the features that makes other softwares and apps works in it..

Something like: Fedora 16 spin with Gnome 2 without the apps from Gnome but with all the features from Gnome and the possibility of installing everything we choose so we can have an Fedora distro just like how we want, with what we want and without unnecessary apps and, so, more efficient desktop and faster than the traditional one.

Maybe its not necessary get back Gnome 2 but some desktop without all its apps. For instance, the default KDE 4 has somany apps and crap that makes the desktop slow and NOBODY likes all the apps in it. If we can have an KDE enviroment without the apps but with the features and possibilitys from KDE plasma, we, users, will have the besk KDE ever. The same with Gnome, XFCE, etc.

again, sorry about my english...
Old 4th November 2011, 10:39 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

As I see it, you have a few choices.

1) Run GNOME 3 as is and get used to it (much like you may have done in the transition from windows to linux).

2) Install something like: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=271804 (with the exception of Alt+tab still not being fixed this looks good if you are that attached to gnome 2). The other things is that the control panel stuff is different.

3) Switch to XFCE, very nice and light weight. (Highly customisable).

4) Ignore GNOME 3. Install synapse in it so that you can access program without using the GNOME GUI (hence no tweaking). and learn to do more through the terminal so that you do not need GNOME's new control panel stuff.

5) Thats it, most (modern / up-to-date /cutting edge) distros come with GNOME, KDE or XFCE. Choose one.

Personally I am going with option 4. Although I am learning my way round the control panel. There is a lot of complaining about GNOME 3; A lot of the time people have not given it a chance. It was odd at first but you get used to it (Its a bit like in the house when the Wife has tidied up, you know everything is there but for some reason she things everything belongs in a new place, you get used to it.)
Old 4th November 2011, 05:32 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

There is a project that was putting Gnome 2 on Fedora 15, BlueBubble.

Don't know if it works good or not as haven't tried it, but from what I saw when I was looking at it awhile back, it broke some dependencies so you pretty much had to block a few packages from updating.

If interested, here's the link

http://k3rnel.net/2011/06/22/bluebub...e-fine-manual/
Old 4th November 2011, 01:16 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

there is MATE project, if one is intersted they can make MATE spin , thats fair enough , yesterday i guess a new Trident (KDE 3 fork)version was released. so forks can live long and prosper.

if you want pure Gnome 2 and fedora experience there is always Fuduntu but it is stagnating at F14 i guess "FEWT" wants it to be Entreprise version.. nah just kidding .(I have faith in fewt).

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunaic View Post
5) Thats it, most (modern / up-to-date /cutting edge) distros come with GNOME, KDE or XFCE. Choose one.
you missed out my favorite LXDE . no seriously LXDE is cool . but i broadly (and weakly) agree with your post.
Old 4th November 2011, 02:53 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
you missed out my favorite LXDE . no seriously LXDE is cool . but i broadly (and weakly) agree with your post.
Ooops. I forgot about it, I have never used it so I easily forget about it. I hastily wrote the above post; It mainly comes from my view that since I am not an active participant in any Linux project (I only assist on this forum when I can and direct my colleagues to linux and free software) then I cannot complain when the free tool I am given changes from the way I like it.
Old 4th November 2011, 03:04 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

nah .. you can complain all you want as long as you are constructive and besides not everyone is a "contributor".
Old 4th November 2011, 03:14 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedvasu View Post
nah .. you can complain all you want as long as you are constructive and besides not everyone is a "contributor".
Oh I know I can complain. I just choose not too, for the most part. I certainly wish I did have the time/knowledge to contribute - then I would complain I suppose.
Old 4th November 2011, 03:20 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunaic View Post
Oh I know I can complain. I just choose not too, for the most part. I certainly wish I did have the time/knowledge to contribute - then I would complain I suppose.
if only most folks would learn that (including me) , there would be directed efforts , in design,development and deployment of free-software.

don't get me wrong flame-fests are sometimes *necessary* , but should be less often.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:26 PM
Radioman621 Offline

macosfirefox

I hate Gnome 3. At first I figured that I did not like it because it was new and it would just take time to get used to it.

But after being frustrated with gnome in Fedora 15 for quite a while, I installed 16 in the hope things would get better. I have come to the conclusion that it is application centric, instead of task centric.

I get the feeling it was designed for tablet users. I can do everything with it that I used to do with Gnome 2.x but everything is more work. I don't run one app at a time with it on full screen. I never go full screen. I typically have 2 or 3 terminals open and a browser with about three tabs, all on one large flat screen monitor purchased to make this comfortable.

Every task under Gnome 3 involves extra steps, ie resizing, extra clicks to drill down to start the app. And to top it off they stuck another screen on top of it all to add another step just to get started. And they make you do that one step over and over. Arrrrrrrgh!

This not an improvement, it is a step backwards from my point of view. Last night I thought this is my computer not theirs, I don't need or want this. I blew it all away and went back to Fedora 14. I am considering Mint.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:48 PM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman621 View Post
I hate Gnome 3. At first I figured that I did not like it because it was new and it would just take time to get used to it.

But after being frustrated with gnome in Fedora 15 for quite a while, I installed 16 in the hope things would get better. I have come to the conclusion that it is application centric, instead of task centric.

I get the feeling it was designed for tablet users. I can do everything with it that I used to do with Gnome 2.x but everything is more work. I don't run one app at a time with it on full screen. I never go full screen.
This is more or less my feeling on the subject. I suspect it'd be absolutely brilliant on a tablet (and I would love to give it a go on one), but with a 24" monitor on my desktop, the constant back-and-forth and extra clicks just became tiresome. It's a shame, because I can see where the G3 developers were going, and I'd probably have agreed with the idea in principle, but in practice it just isn't for me. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't working out.

The F16 kernel definitely feels better than F14 though, by my limited experience (and F14 is like an old pair of slippers to me, so that says something!), so I am planning to upgrade to F16 some time after EOL. My intention is to go to XFCE - I've played with it in VirtualBox and have been largely impressed, and have been able to customise it to pretty much what I've got with Gnome2 F14 at present.

For me, Gnome2 in F16 would be perfect, but it's just not going to happen, as best I can see. C'est la vie; time to adjust and move on
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:00 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman621 View Post
This not an improvement, it is a step backwards from my point of view. Last night I thought this is my computer not theirs, I don't need or want this. I blew it all away and went back to Fedora 14. I am considering Mint.
Well... F16 offers more than just the commonly used DE's..
Among the Fedora networks / pages, you'll find E16, Awesome, LXDE, beside the more known KDE, XFCE ones.

I might be wrong, but i thought E16 is in the rpmfusion repos, where as awesome repo is downloadable at repos.fedorapeople.org. LXDE and XFCE are always available with groupinstall

Just my 2 cents.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:24 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
I might be wrong, but i thought E16 is in the rpmfusion repos,
Yup! it is indeed in rpmfusion along with applets (as a separate package).
Old 14th November 2011, 08:15 PM
Radioman621 Offline

macosfirefox

I tried to go to gnome feedback and explain reaction to Gnome3. On their feedback page you can only file bugs not give feedback. I could not find a way to just leave some feedback.

Tags
fedora, gnome, spin