Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th September 2011, 07:12 PM
resistor200 Offline
"Just Hangin' On!"

windows_xp_2003firefox
Microsoft, the other company

This Article discusses how vision is important, but is not the only thing. The opinion is from a business achievement perspective. Innovation for business growth is not always the best path to prosperity.

I feel reminded of lemmings...
Old 8th September 2011, 08:28 PM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Microsoft, the other company

I don't know. Everyone was ready for the home computer. Everyone was ready for user friendly GUI's. And everyone was ready for easy to use canned software. MS grew because the market was ready. I personally don't think MS or Apple could keep up with the demand of the market. The computer industry is truly market driven. It is also handicapped because of copyrights and patents, both are important, but still handicap the industry to meet true market demands.

What drove Linus towards his Linux? Was it not the desire to be able to take Unix-like box home with him? That's where all this began, i.e. the home market.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 9th September 2011, 04:31 AM
stevea Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Microsoft, the other company

This ignores a major bit of history. IBM gave Gates control of the software believing that making PC hardware was the big business. Gates was then in a great position to control and drive the software OS market as a result, and he did take advantage of that exclusive monopolistic arrangement (IMO) to the detriment of society. Here 31 years later Microsoft is just a nudge bigger than IBM and Apple is close to 2X bigger.

No lemmings drown - Apple users continue sending fees to the Apple store. More like a zombie flick where they just won't die.