Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2011, 05:20 PM
BigBrutha Offline

macoschrome
Accidentally deleted NetworkManager after new update

Hello,
I'm still pretty new at Linux, I've had F15 running on an HP EliteBook 8440p for several months now and was loving it. Yesterday it ran an update and NetworkManager wouldn't work afterwards. Whenever I tried to set up the connection the KDE desktop would crash and I would get messages like "Networking System Disabled" and "Setting IP address" but it would never get an address.
I found a post that said someone had fixed it by downgrading and, since I'm a newbie, while trying to fix it I deleted the NetworkManager Shortly after, I discovered the downgrade command, but it was too late. I have no networking at all. I've tried it with a wired LAN and still have nothing. I found some commands to try like dhconfig eth0 and ifup eth0 but it says no configuration found for eth0.
Any idea how I can fix this? Do I have to reinstall from scratch? I hope not, it took a long time to get the system how I like it. Thanks.

BB

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Some more details. The two things I deleted were NetworkManager and NetworkManager-glib from the add/remove software window. I have the Live CD but haven't been able to figure out how to reinstall NetworkManager from it.
Old 25th June 2011, 06:16 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxredhatfirefox
Re: Accidentally deleted NetworkManager after new update

If you can download the necessary rpm's through a second computer, you can install them by

rpm -ivh your_rpm.rpm

Don't use

yum localinstall

since that, as far as I know, needs an online connection to the repositories.
Old 25th June 2011, 06:23 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

Code:
yum --disablerepo=* install rpm_pkg1 rpm_pgk2 ...
will keep yum from trying to access the internet.
Old 25th June 2011, 06:34 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

Why not enable your install DVD as a repository then install Network Manager from there?
Old 25th June 2011, 08:29 PM
BigBrutha Offline

linuxopera

Hi Guys,
Thanks very much for the help. I was able to download NetworkManager and NetworkManager-glib on my old Macbook and transfer them over. It said they installed successfully but it still wasn't working.
I checked the history and saw kde-plasma-networkmanagent and kde-plasma-networkmanagement-libs had also been taken out when I removed NetworkManager. I downloaded those rpm's and installed them. After a reboot, everything seems fine. It keeps notifying me now that there is a newer NetworkManager available but I'll be sure to ignore that until I see a newer version number.

BB

Tags
kde crash, networkmanager