Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 1st June 2011, 12:41 PM
ewasser Offline

linuxfirefox
[FC15]Messagebus problem: KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while...

After a new installation with Fedora Core 15 KDE is starting slow. It's now giving me a lot of errors in $HOME/.xsession-errors:

Code:
kwin(5077)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting
notify daemon "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken."
The message repeats and repeats. Sometimes I start applications and they timeout with similar messages. To be more precise: I can't select a program from the "System settings" dialogue.

Code:
klauncher(5065)/kio (KLauncher): SlavePool: No communication with slave.
Selinux is off. Any ideas?
Old 12th July 2011, 10:15 PM
emersonkfuri Offline

linuxchrome
Re: [FC15]Messagebus problem: KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while...

It's a nvidia related problem. I fixed replacing my kmod-nvidia packages by kmod-nividia-173xx metapackage.

lspci output:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS] (rev a1)
Old 13th July 2011, 11:27 AM
ewasser Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: [FC15]Messagebus problem: KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersonkfuri View Post
It's a nvidia related problem. I fixed replacing my kmod-nvidia packages by kmod-nividia-173xx metapackage.
I don't think so. After some further investigation I found that sssd was trying to communicate with LDAP via SSL and the LDAP server doesn't support this mode. After I turned LDAP off (working with a local user) everything was fine.

So I don't think it a graphical/hardware issue.
Old 26th July 2011, 08:06 AM
ewasser Offline

linuxfirefox
[Solved]Re: [FC15]Messagebus problem: KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersonkfuri View Post
WTF? You're right. Thanks for the tip. How're these 2 things are related?
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:51 PM
C64 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am experiencing a similar symptom and it's really confusing. The bug seems to be there in F15 from the start but only appeared in F14 after my last update.

I have network login against an LDAP server (pam_ldap, no SSL or sssd). If I install kmod-nvidia I can no longer log in to KDE as an ldap user (login progress never advances from first icon). If I remove kmod-nvidia and all dependencies I can log in without problems.

The strange thing is that I can log in to a local account with kmod-nvidia enabled. This indicates that the driver and configuration is working, but for whatever reason newer drivers mess up when there is network activity required for login (user homes are also mounted remotely on an nfs share). SElinux is disabled.

This has never been a problem in F14 until recently. Does anybody know a fix other than deactivate or going legacy? Is there any easy way of installing the last known working kmod-nvidia?
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:03 PM
ewasser Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by C64 View Post
I am experiencing a similar symptom and it's really confusing. The bug seems to be there in F15 from the start but only appeared in F14 after my last update
The bug is in FC16 too. Same configuration: no selinux, $HOME on NFS, LDAP user, hanging during the KDE login, converting the LDAP user to /etc/{group,passwd,shadow} is a workaround.
Old 24th November 2011, 03:22 PM
C64 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewasser View Post
The bug is in FC16 too. Same configuration: no selinux, $HOME on NFS, LDAP user, hanging during the KDE login, converting the LDAP user to /etc/{group,passwd,shadow} is a workaround.
Are the local "passwd" accounts still mapped to an NFS $HOME-dir? That would narrow the problem down to only LDAP + kmod-nvidia.

Tags
fc15, kde, messagebus