Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th February 2011, 07:31 PM
GMorris Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Options for installing 14 from Live CD?

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on here, but I was using Fedora 12 for the longest time and only recently started having problems. I kept getting errors and pop-up dialogs telling me to run yum-complete-transaction, which I tried as root many times. It would then give an error that it couldn't locate the repository and such. So, I looked through all my yum config files and changed a few things until I FINALLY got the command to do something, only it did all kinds of strange things as I was running low on EXT3 disk space and using old Windows' partition to store a lot of things on.

Now, I backed up all the /home directories and files as well as /root, just in case this didn't go smoothly and I still ran out of disk space. If I had the money, I'd buy a storage stick and just back up everything, but that's not an option at the moment. Now I have a crippled version of XP (pretty much useless from a trojan, even though I had McAfee AND Windows Defender running), and half of Fedora 12 with 2 different boot images! When I first did this, I used a 10G partition to install Fedora, which was plenty then. What's left of Win still resides on about 65G of space, but I have a lot of files there I want to keep. Fisrst thing I want to know is, should I look anywhere else on the Fedora disk to find files I may need, just in general? There's still a LITTLE space on the drive to back up stuff if I need to.

Second, while I still had enough to work with, I managed to download and burn a F14 Live CD, which is running now. I saw the option on the desktop to install it, and can get my config files and such from the backups if need be. I do NOT have a DVD burner, so if I have to I can use regular 700MB CDs, but only if they are available.

The next thing I need to know is if I can install F14 from the web, without having to download any more ISOs, (again, assuming they are available). I know all my DSL settings so that's not a problem, I just need to find out if I can install it that way before I go clicking that icon. Anyone with experience with this would be helpful. I'm ready (MORE than ready) to go through with it, I just don't want to get "stuck" once I start the process. My download rate is around 200k/sec, so it's going to take some time no matter which way I (can) go.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this, as I need to get back to work. One other thing: Will my config files from my /home directory still work correctly? Or is that something I'll have to experiment with?

L8R,

G.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:28 PM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Options for installing 14 from Live CD?

Part of the trouble may be that F 12 has passed EOL and isn't being updated. My suggestion is to install Bleachbit and run it as yourself to clean up your files. Then, update Bleachbit to get a version that runs as root and can clean up everything else on your system. That might (might, mind you) be all you need. If not, install preupgrade and use it to upgrade to at least F 13 if not 14. This has the advantage that all you download is what you need.

IMO, the worst choice for you is installing from the LiveCD because that will overwrite everything and you'll lose anything in your home directory that you haven't backed up. Not only that, you'll get everything on that CD And Only what's on it with no option to customize.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:46 PM
GMorris Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well, that helped some. I thought that if you installed from the Live CD it might give some option to download and install other packages that you want or need. Now I'm glad I didn't do it! My Fedora 12 system is really screwed up now, so I've been downloading and burning the CDs for F14. I'm on the last one now, and each one takes a little over an hour to download, then another 20 minutes to burn to CD. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade, but I'm not counting on it. Most likely I'm looking at a fresh install . As for Bleachbit, I don't think it would even install now. That's one of the things that was giving me trouble when the popup dialogs were telling me it could not finish updates, it wouldn't install many (if any) rpms, about the only things I could use were small apps like things in Java that just needed to be run. Thank goodness I had already gotten the JDK and NetBeans!

Now I DID tar and zip all of the /home directories as well as root, but I'm pretty sure there are other config files laying around that I'll need. I thought about backing up /etc as well if I have the space, or maybe if I have enough CDs left I can burn them there. If anybody knows what I'll need to save a lot of work later I'd much appreciate it!
Old 19th February 2011, 03:24 PM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox

You can, of course, add whatever software you like later, but not during the install. It just transfers the disk image from the CD to your hard drive.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:04 AM
GMorris Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

OK, I've already figured that much out. What I REALLY want to know is, when I do this install (already got 5 CDs downloaded and burned), what will I need to have backed up that I did not mention?

I got /root, everything in /home and I also backed up /etc. Does anybody know of anything else I might need to keep to make life easier? Anything in /usr maybe?

The install part is imminent, and I've done it dozens of times on different machines, so no problem there. Like I said, I just want to find out if anyone with a lot of experience knows of anything else I should keep. I am pretty sure that it's not going to just upgrade in the state it is in now, as I have two kernel files now, and one of them will still connect to the internet, but Firefox won't load. I did install a newer version that I downloaded with this live CD, and if I tell it where to find it, the new one will load, but that's getting to be a pain. All of the games except 1 or 2 stopped working some time ago, and I can't install much at all on the old version 12 that's still (right now, anyway) on the hard drive.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Anyone? I've got these disks and am ready to go, but I don't want to write over everything and regret it later. PLEASE, if anyone reads this with experience in reinstalls, just let me know if I need anything else backed up!

Tags
installing, live, options