Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2010, 02:50 AM
Polywog Offline

windows_7ie
Windows7 on sda and Fedora 13 on sdb

Windows 7 is first boot disk. Installed Fedora 13 on second disk from DVD. During installation it did not ask if I wanted dual boot. Fedora installed fine on second disk. Rebooted and only Windows will lood. How to setup to dual boot? Can I modify Windows Boot file? or do I have to install Grub on to sda. How do I do that?
Old 6th December 2010, 07:38 PM
Kameraad Pjotr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Windows7 on sda and Fedora 13 on sdb

The problem is that your BIOS only boots your first hard drive (sda), which has only the Windows Boot loader installed. The best thing you can do is to get a LiveCD, and enter the grub prompt (open a terminal and enter grub as root)
Code:
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
The result of that (e.g. hd1,0) is the partition and hard drive where your grub installation resides. (If you have not created a separate boot partition, it is probably (hd1,0) i.e. first partition on /dev/sdb )
Code:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
This will install grub to your MBR.
More information can be found in this thread.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:46 AM
DukeNukem Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Windows7 on sda and Fedora 13 on sdb

The fedora install may have already created a dual boot setup.

Go into your system bios and change the hard drive boot order, make your secondary disk boot 1st.

2010-11-21 Dangermouse - i like thee name "DukeNukem" reminds me of a game i used to play yeeeeeeears ago.. (good game)

Tags
fedora, sda, sdb, windows7