Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd September 2010, 03:25 AM
bendib Offline

Location: Teetering between the edge of insanity and the border of all that's weird
linuxfedorafirefox
F14 Alpha: Laughably terrible

I have recently tried the Fedora 14 alpha, and I laughed so hard I nearly cried.
First, when I booted the thing, it gave me TWO welcome messages. One reporting the version, and one with the classic "welcome to fedora" message. Next, an eight of the start up sequence, the first bit, gives the good old green classic "OK" when services are started. The other portion uses uneven greyscale Oks that often do not even show up on the same line as the service they start.
Next, I noticed the wallpaper was unchanged from Fedora 13 final/rc. After logging in, I attempted to launch the wallpaper changer, "appearances". Right clicking on the desktop and selecting "change background" does nothing, and additionally the appearances item is missing in system > preferences.
I then looked in /usr/share/backgrounds for additional wallpapers, but upon hovering over the "goddard" directory, nautilus as a whole hung. Disconnecting the power cord, I noticed the power icon changed to something completely different from the battery and cord one I saw earlier (that I liked). Shutting down, I noticed three cheap "failed" messages relating to services. I should also mention I was unable to get this release to run in VirtualBox, so I had to put the files on my data partition and add the extlinux bootloader to it, which I then chainloaded in Plop boot manager to get things going.

My message to any fedora developers: Don't give us another fedora 12. We would rather wait a few more days for the final release than have a release made by Elmo. I have never seen an alpha of ANYTHING that was this terrible. Most people know my minimalist linux distro, pipsqueak, is so buggy it has maggots, but I am glad to say that pipsqueak really beats the crap out of this release.
Old 22nd September 2010, 03:30 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: F14 Alpha: Laughably terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendib View Post
I have recently tried the Fedora 14 alpha, and I laughed so hard I nearly cried.
First, when I booted the thing, it gave me TWO welcome messages. One reporting the version, and one with the classic "welcome to fedora" message. Next, an eight of the start up sequence, the first bit, gives the good old green classic "OK" when services are started. The other portion uses uneven greyscale Oks that often do not even show up on the same line as the service they start.
Next, I noticed the wallpaper was unchanged from Fedora 13 final/rc. After logging in, I attempted to launch the wallpaper changer, "appearances". Right clicking on the desktop and selecting "change background" does nothing, and additionally the appearances item is missing in system > preferences.
I then looked in /usr/share/backgrounds for additional wallpapers, but upon hovering over the "goddard" directory, nautilus as a whole hung. Disconnecting the power cord, I noticed the power icon changed to something completely different from the battery and cord one I saw earlier (that I liked). Shutting down, I noticed three cheap "failed" messages relating to services. I should also mention I was unable to get this release to run in VirtualBox, so I had to put the files on my data partition and add the extlinux bootloader to it, which I then chainloaded in Plop boot manager to get things going.

My message to any fedora developers: Don't give us another fedora 12. We would rather wait a few more days for the final release than have a release made by Elmo. I have never seen an alpha of ANYTHING that was this terrible. Most people know my minimalist linux distro, pipsqueak, is so buggy it has maggots, but I am glad to say that pipsqueak really beats the crap out of this release.
the developers dont look at the threads, if you have a complaint click on FedoraProject then to communicate with Fedora have you tried the RC3 of F14 Beta? http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...3&postcount=29
Old 22nd September 2010, 03:47 AM
bendib Offline

Location: Teetering between the edge of insanity and the border of all that's weird
linuxfedorafirefox

I did not intend to really get the attention of developers, I just intended on sharing my thoughts on the alpha. Thanks though. I will try the real beta when it is complete. Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2010, 04:31 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
I did not intend to really get the attention of developers, I just intended on sharing my thoughts on the alpha. Thanks though. I will try the real beta when it is complete. Thanks.
you should find the Beta much better than the Alpha
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:09 AM
forkbomb Offline

linuxgentoofirefox

Dude... it's an alpha.
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:09 AM
hephasteus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkbomb View Post
Dude... it's an alpha.
This lol. Ya they should test their alphas so they work better before releasing them.
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:15 PM
bendib Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephasteus View Post
This lol. Ya they should test their alphas so they work better before releasing them.
I agree. It's one thing to put out a testing release that people can use to see how things go, it's another for it to be completely crippled and for the most part unusable.
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:34 PM
forkbomb Offline

linuxgentoofirefox

Quote:
I agree. It's one thing to put out a testing release that people can use to see how things go, it's another for it to be completely crippled and for the most part unusable.
psst... I think hephasteus was being sarcastic.

Unless I saw sarcasm where there wasn't any. And I don't even have 6 AM as an excuse.
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:29 AM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I think the main issue was a feature incomplete (systemd) and maybe python -2.7 issues.
systemd was backed out until f15.

The beta-rc3 works great. Barely2 days old.

SJ
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:46 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJet View Post
I think the main issue was a feature incomplete (systemd) and maybe python -2.7 issues.
systemd was backed out until f15.

The beta-rc3 works great. Barely2 days old.

SJ
it works for me but i still couldnt use Desktop-effects in it with the opensource 3D driver
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:52 AM
Boricua Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For me, Fedora 14 Alpha has been remarkably stable, even more so than several Fedora Betas from the past.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:08 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephasteus

Ya they should test their alphas so they work better before releasing them.
I thought that's what we were supposed to do with them. Or else, why release them at all?

P.S.: Sorry, hephasteus. That's what you meant. I missed it the first time around. Nothing is funny to me at six a.m.
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:28 AM
hephasteus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
I thought that's what we were supposed to do with them. Or else, why release them at all?

P.S.: Sorry, hephasteus. That's what you meant. I missed it the first time around. Nothing is funny to me at six a.m.
No worries. Should have /sarcasm

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM CDT ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker_ View Post
Hahaha... there must be a full or new moon somewhere?
Full moon. New moon is Oct 7th and it's going to hurt. Really bad.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:32 AM
starstatras Offline

linuxchrome

That actually sounds fairly complete for an alpha release (in my experience)
Bendib whats your problem with it?
You sure you've ever tried alpha releases before?
Old 22nd September 2010, 03:10 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've always found EVEN numbered releases to REALLY SUCK. Never had a problem with an odd.

Tags
alpha, f14, laughably, terrible