Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 17th October 2004, 10:21 AM
dave_kimberley Offline

Sniff My Server

Hi there,

I have been searching arround for weeks now, but still have not found any information.

My FC2 box connects to the Internet via my LAN, I need to snoop another FC2 server I own over the Internet, however tcpdump works but will wait on the LAN.

Is there anyway to snoop a remote host over the Internet?

RHCE - RHEL3 - RHEL4 & RHEL5
CCNA
Old 17th October 2004, 02:45 PM
taylor65 Offline

you could connect to your remote server with xnest or vnc, then run ethereal. all these apps are on the FC2 CDs. however, if you're running over a slow connection, xnest and vnc will be pretty slow.
Old 17th October 2004, 11:43 PM
Jman Offline

For checking security I would start with an nmap scan. RPMs come with Fedora, and there is even a frontend GUI. You can scan host and it will show what ports are open, and a lot of information about what is running.

Ethereal will show what traffic is on the network. This may not help much if your server is at a remote location.
Old 17th October 2004, 11:57 PM
superbnerd

Install it via yum.
Code:
yum install nmap*
Also, a nice tool found at the nmap homepage is Nessus.

Tags
server, sniff