Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th July 2010, 11:05 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter:

I've encountered this problem before under Fedora 11, but I've forgotten how to deal with it.

I am running Fedora 13 - 64 bit version. I've encountered the error message
/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
This happened with Maple 13. The program itself is the 64 bit version, but the license manager is still the 32 bit version. It also happened with the Adobe Reader 9 I downloaded. (Is there a 64 bit version somewhere?)

I know I have to injstall 32 bit libraries, but can anyone tell me how best to go about it without causing problems? When I try to use System>Administration>Add Remove Programs, it only comes up with 64 bit programs.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM CDT ----------

I now remember that I had a similar problem with Fedora 11. In that case, apparently what I did was to install a whole bunch of i586 packages., which duplicated 64 bit packages I already had. But I remember bein concerned that the 32 bit and 64 bit packages had many common files, which were the same, and the ones that were different were in different directories. So presumably what I have to do is find the relevant .i686 packages, and then install them, leaving the common files unchanged.

I can't figure out how to get all those i686 packages. I'm sure I didn't downlaod all the correspondiong i586 packages one at a time. There must be some simpler way to get them. Also, my yum can't find any i686 packages to install. Do I just have to get them as rpm packages?

Surely someone must have set up a convenient workaround for all of this? Where is it?
Old 27th July 2010, 11:30 PM
aesir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: /ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter:

try with
Code:
yum install glibc.i686
Old 28th July 2010, 04:17 AM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir View Post
try with
Code:
yum install glibc.i686
That doesn't work for me. yum can't find it. I must have to add some software sources to the list of places yum looks. What is it?

Also, I have an additional question. There already is a glibc, the x86_64 version. If memory serves me right, the i686 and x86_64 packages share common files, and I only want to add the components that are different. Can I always be sure in such cases, that the common files are exactly the same. I suppose that must be true, but it is at least possible that some are different.
Old 28th July 2010, 05:23 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardevens View Post
That doesn't work for me. yum can't find it. I must have to add some software sources to the list of places yum looks. What is it?

Also, I have an additional question. There already is a glibc, the x86_64 version. If memory serves me right, the i686 and x86_64 packages share common files, and I only want to add the components that are different. Can I always be sure in such cases, that the common files are exactly the same. I suppose that must be true, but it is at least possible that some are different.
No the i686 packages should be available unless your yum repos are hosed.
No glibc is the fundamental kernel interface - it is not dependent on other 'common files'.
Old 28th July 2010, 06:51 AM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
No the i686 packages should be available unless your yum repos are hosed.
No glibc is the fundamental kernel interface - it is not dependent on other 'common files'.
Well, I just ran
yum install glibc.i686
again
but this time it worked, solving my problem. (it also installed nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.6-3.fc13.i686.)

I must have been doing something stupid before; perhaps I left out the 'i' in i686? Or something else changed in my system.

Thanks.

Tags
bad, elf, interpreter, or ldlinuxso2