Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2010, 03:43 AM
Premium Ookwee Offline

linuxfirefox
Unknown Samba Password

I want to use samba for file sharing like on a Windows home network. Actually they are all Linux machines but nfs is too complicated. On my host machine I installed samba and system-config-samba. I created a new share for /home, check marked writable and visible and put access to everybody. For preferences-->server settings--> security the "authentication mode" is set to user, encrypt passwords is no, and guest account is no guest account. Under preferences-->samba users I added myself as a user with the same windows user name as my Linux user name and the same password.

My client is a virtualbox fedora (used for testing purposes but actual clients will be real computers on my home network). I entered the address smb://192.168.1.184. When asked for the user name and password I put my regular user name and password since that was what I set in samba users. However, the password dialog keeps coming up and won't let met into my own computer. If I quit it says something like access is denied.

How can I get my home network back? I liked this feature when my home computers ran XP but I switched them to Fedora 12.
Old 17th July 2010, 04:32 AM
smr54 Online

linuxopera
Re: Unknown Samba Password

You can also use ssh. There's a few ways to do it--I know that KDE's konqueror browser can--I think you use something like fish://<other_machine's_ip>. Nautilus, the default Gnome browser, can probably do it too. Probably easier than setting up samba.

Actually, I think you want encrypted passwords--the guest machine is probably expecting that. (On the other hand, I've never tried to do what you're doing--accessing one Linux machine from another with samba, nor tried to set it up through the grapihc tools, so I'm not sure about that.)
Old 17th July 2010, 06:38 PM
Premium Ookwee Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Unknown Samba Password

I enabled encryption and I got into my computer. However, it didn't ask me for a password and when I try to access /home/me, it says access is denied.

I tried using SSH through Nautilus and it worked perfectly. I just went to File-->Connect to server and all the details it wanted were obvious. Now I have an equivalent to my old Windows home network. Thanks

Last edited by Premium Ookwee; 17th July 2010 at 07:06 PM.