Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st June 2010, 09:07 AM
lolths Offline

windows_7ie
Unhappy Fedora 13 Installation Problem

Multiple install problems.

1. Installation freezes while looking for repositories – Have left overnight hoping installation would continue with no luck.
2. When it does find all the repositories it crashes with “fatal error installing package XYZ. This could indicate errors when reading the installation media. Installation cannot continue.”

Solutions tried.

1. First I though the download ISO was bad. Tested the ISO download with sha256sum checksum utility. Perfect download according to the checksum.
2. I tried 3 different DVD drives on system that Fedora is being installed to in hopes that maybe the DVD drive was bad.
3. I tried burning the ISO with two different DVD burners. One with windows 7 ISO burning utility. The other on windows XP using Nero 7.
4. Tried burning the disks at low speed to get a better burned disk.
5. I have tried 2 different brands of DVD disks
6. I have officially gone through 8 different DVD disks.

Okay I give up. Is Fedora 13 just flawed? What else do I try?

Only possible solutions I can come up with.

1. Bad IDE controller on motherboard.
2. Try copying the ISO image to a hard drive using DD command in Linux. Then boot and install from that drive as if it was a DVD.

Any other Ideas.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:26 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 13 Installation Problem

During my several dvd installations I never explicitly enabled any repositories and never had the problems you described. What particular repositories are you using during installation and what happens if you are not explicitly enabling repositories?
If using a liveCD is an option, you may want to try that, since the liveCD doesn't use additional repositories.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:27 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Don't change anything related to repositories during the install. Update when the installation is finished and you have rebooted, using the command line, i.e., yum update.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 1st June 2010, 09:57 AM
lolths Offline

windows_7ie

here's the process I have been using.

1. Install a new system or upgrade an existing system
2. Skip disk test (Because its already been tested - Tested okay)
3. Next the start Fedora 13 install
4. Next for english (language option)
5. Next for english (Keyboard option)
6. Next with Basic Storage Devices selected
7. Entered Host Name
8. Selected Time Zone
9. Entered root password
10. Next with "use all space" selected
11. Clicked on write changes to disk
12. Clicked on Fedora 13 - I386 as an added repositories - This also asked for an IP address or to use DHCP to connect to the web. I used DHCP
13. Selected Customize now and hit NEXT
14. Selected all the software I wanted and deselected software I didn't want using the Optional packages button.
15. Clicked Next

System will FREEZE on "checking dependencies in packages for installation"

or

System finds all dependencies and continues with install then CRASHES with “fatal error installing package XYZ. This could indicate errors when reading the installation media. Installation cannot continue.”

XYZ has been Openoffice packages, font packages and many other packages. I wasn't keeping track.

I recall having similar issues with Fedora 12. So I reverted back to Fedora 8 with no installation problems. But Fedora 8 is not supported anymore, not to mention I like some of the new features with Fedora 13. I had a successful 13 install at work and have been using it there.

I'm going to try to burn a 13 disk at work tomorrow and see if it works.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to possible solution to this problem.

lolths
Old 1st June 2010, 10:21 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I still maintain that it's a mistake to try to use extra repositories during the installation process.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 1st June 2010, 10:45 AM
lolths Offline

windows_7ie

Okay - I will try again without adding Fedora 13 - I386 repositories

Will let install overnight and check in the morning.

Thanks
Old 1st June 2010, 08:58 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

yeah, just try without adding the extra repo.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 1st June 2010, 10:08 PM
errorxp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

uncheck updates
Old 1st June 2010, 11:23 PM
DavidLee74 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I'm having the exact same problem. I've downloaded the ISO twice. It fails during install both times. I'll try it without the extra repos, but don't have high hopes.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:30 PM
Simian Man Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yeah I used to bother about adding RPM Fusion and the updates repositories and customizing packages with the DVD, but I've realized it's just way easier to do that stuff post-install. Using the LiveCD installer takes only like 3 minutes and then you can get on with using your system while you update and customize and so on.
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:07 AM
lolths Offline

windows_7ie

Okay conclusion – I hope this helps others

Problem #1:
During install system would FREEZE on “Checking dependencies in packages for installation”

Solution:
I have contributed this to a bad DVD burn of the ISO. I had more success when I burned the ISO using NERO and changing the burn speed to slow. I believe the slower burn speed produced a better burn with fewer errors.

Problem #2:
During install system CRASHES on “Fatal error installing package XYZ. This could indicate errors when reading the installation media. Install cannot continue”

Note: XYZ in my case was UN-CORE-DOTUM-FONTS package.

Solution:
I Installed fedora again; I added the extra repositories, checked off the Customize Now radio button then clicked next to continue. I then proceeded to remove the UN-CORE-DOTUM-FONTS package from the base fonts to be installed and continued with my install. System finally completed the install without any other problems. My assumption is that there might be an error in the UN-CORE-DOTUM-FONTS package or my DVD image still might be bad. Ether way I circumnavigated the crash by deselecting the problem package. My guess is this might work for other packages as well if someone is having similar issues.

Best of luck to everyone
Old 2nd June 2010, 06:06 AM
errorxp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You should consider using liveusb in the future. No need to fiddle with burning dvd-s any more
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:30 AM
sikku Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I have problems Installing Fedora 13 from Hard Disk as an ISO image. I boot the iso image via grub and here's the steps I used to install

1. Install a new system or upgrade an existing system (Install new)
2. Next the start Fedora 13 install
3. Next for English (language option)
4. Next for English (Keyboard option)
5. Next with Basic Storage Devices selected
6. Entered Host Name
7. Selected Time Zone
8. Entered root password
9. Used custom partition. (I have a 20 GB space for the / and 30 GB space for /home)
10. Clicked on write changes to disk
11. Asked for an IP address or to use DHCP to connect to the web. I used DHCP.

Since I do not have an internet connection via LAN, it failed informing that there is no internet connection and few of the repositories needed internet connection.

The only option I got was to abort the installation. This brought me to the screen where I had options to press Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.

My question: Does Fedora 13 need internet connection to install? If so is there any tweak where I can install Fedora 13 without internet connection?

Or is it a problem with Fedora 13 installation?
Old 3rd June 2010, 08:42 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Do you install from liveCD or DVD? On the DVD there is the option to select additional repositories and that obviously requires an internet connection.
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:00 AM
sikku Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I installed it from an ISO DVD image file saved in my Hard Disk. I used this method http://linuxblog.posterous.com/insta...iso-image-file

Tags
f 13 install problems