Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:47 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Question Does F12 have full ext4 support? What are your experiences?

Hi guys, i'm still on 10, and wanted to wait out 11 until 12. I am not suffering from 10 and am considering jumping to 12 right now. I was looking through it's docs, and did not see if they ever got around the /boot (grub, if on a separate partition of its own) not supporting ext4 yet. Does anyone know if this has been fixed? Also, have any of you installed a snapshot of 12 (after alpha release) on a 64-bit system yet? If so, has it been a rough ride, or just a little bumpy?

Thanx
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:03 PM
Demz

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
read the F12 sub-forum this has been asked before an the answer is YES
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:17 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
That doesn't tell me what your experiences are
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:28 PM
Demz

no it dont but i would think its a bit to early to be asking for experiences with it since Grub can now do ext4
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:29 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Also i meant to ask if anyone knew if there was a way to change 12-alpha to 12 after 12 comes out, or if fedora now does it automatically when you yum update? (I know, i should know this buy now, but i stay stuck in databases and php, so i don't read up on fedora as much as i should any more... i'm lame )

And thanks for the tip on the other threads. I found a link in one of the threads to the right docs (or rather, the one's that i needed), and so i got my information. I guess that i should have thought to search the forums first on this one... oh, for shame!
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:37 PM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-Grim View Post
Also i meant to ask if anyone knew if there was a way to change 12-alpha to 12 after 12 comes out, or if fedora now does it automatically when you yum update? (I know, i should know this buy now, but i stay stuck in databases and php, so i don't read up on fedora as much as i should any more... i'm lame )

And thanks for the tip on the other threads. I found a link in one of the threads to the right docs (or rather, the one's that i needed), and so i got my information. I guess that i should have thought to search the forums first on this one... oh, for shame!
F12 will go final during alpha/beta as you update to each release. once you download and or update to F12 release RPM the repo's will then change over to the main repo's automatically
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:48 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
So, if i understand you correctly, it is as i assumed: I install alpha (downloading it now), and when final comes out, a simple "yum -y update" will switch me to final release, and update the repos? I'm wondering about this because i remember reading before that fedora was capable of doing this now (since something like 10), but i could not remember if it was as easy as editing the repo text files, or if the whole yum and rpm system was replaced with another yum and rpm system that identified itself as "final", if that makes any sense...

Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:58 PM
Demz

correct . you dont need to edit yum or anything, just keep on updating though i'd wait for the beta . it'll be out http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/12/Schedule 2009-10-13 unless a blocker bug stops it from coming out on that date
Old 4th October 2009, 12:02 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
I can't really wait for that one. I will just have to rough out the alpha. My Asterisk installation is screwed up pretty bad (not even manually deleting files and completely reinstalling worked; it's deeper that what my sys-admin experience can handle), and it's time to clean out the old file system anyway.

Thanx for the help though.
Old 4th October 2009, 12:12 AM
Demz

i would also try F12 Snap3 LiveCD just before you go ahead an install the Alpha jusst to be sure it works fine on your Hardware but if your sure it'll work go right ahead
Old 4th October 2009, 01:03 AM
forkbomb Offline

linuxgentoofirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-Grim View Post
and did not see if they ever got around the /boot (grub, if on a separate partition of its own) not supporting ext4 yet. Does anyone know if this has been fixed?
I'm not so sure it's really something that needs to be "fixed." A /boot partition is one that can't really benefit from having a journalized file system anyway, as it will probably have no more than 50 files tops, and those files will change relatively rarely.

Quote:
Also, have any of you installed a snapshot of 12 (after alpha release) on a 64-bit system yet? If so, has it been a rough ride, or just a little bumpy?

Thanx
As for my two cents, I don't know about Fedora 64-bit specifically but since I've been using ext4 under various distros (32-bit and 64-bit) I have not had a single problem with ext4.

Then again, it's not like using ext4 has been a life-changing experience. Different filesystems don't seem to change my life that much.
Old 4th October 2009, 08:47 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, i burnt 3 DVDs (brazero hung while creating checksums twice, so i burn 1 more with nautilus-cd-burner extension), and 2 of them refused to get past the "press <enter> to begin installation", and 1 refused to get past the "Found installation Media" after the checksum check (which i always skip (i know, for shame)). I'm waiting on the live CD snapshot (3) to finish downloading now...

I was reading that the installer had issues with internal/usb card readers, which i have, and which can be solved by unplugging them, which i did not. I will try unplugging the card reader 1 time with the full install media, and if that doesn't work, i will go to the live cd. If it goes screwy, i've still got knoppix and F10

fun fun fun!

Last edited by Vector; 4th October 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 4th October 2009, 08:53 AM
Demz

Brasero isnt the best Burner i dont think, you should try gnomebaker
Code:
yum install gnomebaker
Old 4th October 2009, 08:56 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
i've got them both, but they both seem to have their bugs for me. For example gnomebaker always seems to crash after descending to the desired directory and beginning to select files; yet it burns very well. Brasero doesn't crash for me, but it has many problems with the burn process. I like the nautilus extension best, which i'm sure uses some of the same command line backends that gnomebaker uses, except with a bare minimum interface.

I do have one gripe, which i've actually had for quite some time, but never bothered to say anything, but i know that some of the fedora project's members are also members of this forum, so i want to say that it drives me nuts trying to find the release schedule. I don't hang around fedoraproject.org's website very much, so i don't know its ins and outs, like some of you may. But it seems to me that when i click "learn more", and go to the wiki, i should then see a link for release schedule. I look around for a bit, and IF i find it (sometimes i can, some times i cannot) i never remember where i found it, and I always have to resort to googling it.... I would imagine that this a pretty popular page, and they would have it easier to find....

==================
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule (maybe i can remember it now...)

Last edited by Vector; 4th October 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 4th October 2009, 10:20 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Unplugging the card reader from the motherboard made no difference. To make things even more interesting, i do not have my motherboard manual anymore, nor the specs for the connectors to put them back . The live cd was a waste of time. Anaconda kept crashing when i told it to install to disk. I tried to connect to my network to report the bug, and network manager crashed, then i told it to shut down, and at-xxx crashed. This all happened twice (i tried 2x).

So, fedora 11 it is, and then to 12...............

Tags
experiences, ext4, f12, support