Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th July 2009, 06:26 AM
karthiksharu Offline

Fedora 11 help with Desktop effects

Hi I am having problem with enabling desktop effects.
I tried System->Preference-> Desktop Effects ---> Enable Desktop Effects... Got an error saying 'Desktop Effects could not be enabled'.

In Commandline i tried compiz-fusion. I shows a white screen. I moved the cursor to the top corner, I could see the Desktop Effects working but still is a white screen and I hardly can see only the outline of those windows. I only had to restart the system.

I am using Dell Studio Laptop 1555

Intel® Centrino® 2 Mobile Technology Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor P8600
4GB Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 - I cant see any info of this in "System->About this Computer".

* I have another Issue Whenever I login to fedora 11 i m getting a popup balloon saying that 'Hard Disk Failing'. What is this and how can I fix it. I m using "320GB SATA 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive".

* Audio is also not working in my laptop.

Any help will greatly be AppRecIatEd.

I am newbie here.
Can anyone help me please. If I need to provide more details please let me know how to grab those information.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by karthiksharu; 12th July 2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:57 AM
CSchwangler Offline

There is an excellent guide on how to setup the (proprietary) ATI drives in Guides&Solutions. The free ATI drivers are usually not sufficient for desktop effects. However, as many on this forum complain, the proprietary ATI drivers currently do not work well with Fedora due to the kernel.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:10 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I don't use desktop effects, but I've edited the thread title so that those who do might be less inclined to just skip your thread without reading.

Please take a few minutes to read the forum guidelines (link at the top of the page), especially rule 3 in the first section.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:31 AM
Keeper1 Offline

I'm having the same problem, i just fresh installed fedora 11, updated it, upgraded it and installed the nvidia driver and I cannot enable the desktops effects.

[root@Station2 josue]# glxinfo|grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
[root@Station2 josue]# su -
[root@Station2 ~]# lspci|grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9800 GTX (rev a2)

any help! please
PNY GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+
2 G.B Ram
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:17 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper1
I'm having the same problem, i just fresh installed fedora 11, updated it, upgraded it and installed the nvidia driver and I cannot enable the desktops effects.

[root@Station2 josue]# glxinfo|grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
Then it's not working. Installed it how ? By using the (recommended) RPMFusion RPMs, or that (potentially problematic) NVIDIA Corp binary blob ??

Please review the installation of the NVidia driver to ensure that you chose the right version and performed any other necessary steps to configure it (like disabing the 'nouveau' module) as described in Leigh's tutorial in the "Guides and Solutions" section. Caution: do not install more than one version of the driver, from any source: remove the undesired version first.

Please start a new thread if the above steps do not yield a solution, since the cause of your issue is not the same as the problem discussed here.

V

Tags
audio issues, compiz, harddisk