Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2009, 12:06 AM
coreyfarkas Offline

Installing Fedora 10 on Playstation 3: Need Help

**[EDIT on 02.09.09]**
Original Post
Quote:
Hi
I am trying to install Fedora 10 onto my Playstation 3 but I am having some issues.
I got all of the pieces needed to install Linux but I was following a guide based on installing Fedora core 5, so I think my issue might stem from issues with this. Anyways, here is what I have done so far.
I have downloaded the
Fedora 10 ppc DVD (and burned onto DVD) - http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
Cell Linux Add On - http://dl.qj.net/index.php?pg=12&fid=11308&catid=514
Playstation 3 Other OS installer - from the same site as above
These are the instructions I have followed up to this point...
(these are from the main Sony Playstation 3 forum. I cannot find the link at the moment)
1.Download the Fedora Core 5 ISO, Linux Addon ISO, PS3 OtherOS Installer,
and Easy DVD Maker 3.2
2. Install Easy DVD Maker 3.2
3. Plug In your Removable Storage Device that is compatible with the PS3.
4. Create a folder on your Desktop called "PS3"
5. Inside that, create another folder called "otheros"
6. Open up the PS3 OtherOS Installer, find "otheros.self" and place it in the otheros folder.
7. Open up the Linux Addon ISO, and in the kboot folder, extract "otheros.bld" and place it in the otheros folder aswell.
8. Place the PS3 folder inside the root of your Removable Storage Device.
9. Open up Easy DVD Maker 3.2, and in the bottom left corner click on the wizard hat, and navigate to New -> Burn ISO.
10. Insert a blank DVD, and burn the Fedora Core 5 ISO onto it, do the same with the Linux Addon ISO using a DVD burner.
11. While its burning, go over to your PS3 and create a 10gb disk partition (or more) for the new OS.
12. Insert the Removable Storage Device to your PS3.
13. Go to "Install Other OS" in the System Settings menu.
14. It should find the "otheros.bld" and install it.
15. When its done, go to "Default OS" or something like that, and select "Other OS". Restart your PS3.
16. You will be greeted with the linux console. Read onto part 2.
Now from this point I have to type in at the kboot
"install-fc sda"
It then asks me to put the Fedora DVD, which I do (I have 10)
after I hit "y" to let it know the disc is in there I recieve this message...
"???: No VRS found
Not Fedora Install DVD"
I am looking to find out what I am doing wrong and how to install this correctly. Is it because of the bootloader I am using?
**[Edit 02.09.09 Begins]

Ok for those trying to install Fedora 10 on the Playstation 3 console here are the first few steps. Before any of this fomrat the Playstation 3's hard drive and create a partition using 10GB for the other OS and the rest for the system.

1. Download the most recent version of pettiboot from this link (most recent version to date is 08.06.27)
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...c-08.06.27.bld

2. On a USB drive create a folder named "PS3". Within that folder create a folder called "otheros". Place the ".bld" file you downloaded in step 1 in the "otheros" folder and rename it "otheros.bld" (make sure you have the file type extension on there).

3. Turn on your Playstation 3 and plug in the USB drive. From the XMB go to settings>system settings> install other OS. It will search and find the file on your USB drive. Next choose to install it. It will take a couple seconds then tell you to go to settings>system settings>default OS to reboot in the new OS. Do so.

4.Now you need to have the Fedora 10 Install DVD (in .iso format) burned to a DVD. The torrent for the DVD image can be found here...
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/tor...pc-DVD.torrent

To download the torrent, download the Torrent manager Utorrent from here...
http://utorrent.com/

As far as burning I used the Program mentioned in the previous instructions set, but only because PowerISO (a program you should download anyways) caused an error everytime I tried to open the Install DVD image.

5. Insert the DVD in your system. The Bootloader you installed will have two options once it reads the disc (either boot the PS3 OS or the Disc). Using a USB mouse (which it supports) click on the image of the disc. Two different Linux models will appear on the right. You want to boot the 64bit version, which is the top selection (at least when I do it). It will begin the installation process and ask if you want to check the media on the installation disc (to make sure everything is intact) You can do so or skip. Once that is done Anaconda will boot and begin installing. A Fedora 10 screen will load up and the mouse will appear.

**From this point on the F12 key is the "enter" button.**

And this is where my new problems begin.

The main problem is that when I get to the first Fedora screen it tells me "the partition table on device ps3da was unreadable" and asks if I want to make new ones. I do not want to make new ones through this program and delete the PS3 OS (unless I am supposed to click yes). At first I had done a quick reformat. Over night I ran the full reformat but I still have the same issue. However, after the full format a new question appeared before asking me my keyboard layout. It asked what Language I wanted to install Fedora in. So for now I suggest doing the full format. What is wrong with the partitions the PS3 made and how come Fedora install cannot recognize them.

The other issue is the display. When the keyboard layout selection screen comes up the right portion of the box is going offscreen and I cannot see any options under "Tamil". How can I get the resolution to display what I need to see?

Last edited by coreyfarkas; 10th February 2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Update information
Old 9th February 2009, 03:40 AM
demosuzki Offline

look here for the otheros pettiboot

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...le/geoff/cell/
Old 9th February 2009, 04:28 PM
coreyfarkas Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosuzki View Post
look here for the otheros pettiboot

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...le/geoff/cell/
Thanks for the Pettiboot recommendation. That is a great boot loader and it works. I have solved my first problem, but now I have a new one.

My first post has been edited to state the most current problem and also provide others with the first few steps on how to install Fedora 10.
Old 9th February 2009, 03:45 AM
Wayne

Moved to Mac & PPC
Old 9th February 2009, 03:49 AM
coreyfarkas Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Moved to Mac & PPC
But formost this is about installing the product Fedora on something.
Old 10th February 2009, 07:35 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyfarkas View Post
But formost this is about installing the product Fedora on something.
Sorry, wrong answer. The Installation forum is for install questions for Intel/AMD based 32bit and 64bit PCs. Mac & PPC questions go here, no matter what. Please don't challenge the staff's decisions in an open forum, if you have a problem then take it to PM, there's always someone about. Read the guidelines before posting again. Thanks.

Wayne
Old 12th February 2009, 09:21 AM
dr_faulk Offline

Did anyone get this to work?

Boy am I in the thick of it...

Managed to install FC5 on the PS3, using the original otheros.self and otheros.bld files. Now, I'm trying to update from FC5 -> FC10. I did it through terminal in telinit 3 mode, and by following the instructions on Fedora Project's page on how to update the system using Yum.

Despite an ass-load of dependency errors, I managed to update the core to FC10, but from the looks of it I might as well still be running FC5. I can't update any of the apps or programs because it seems to be looking for dependencies relating to FC5, which are no longer available.

SO!

Is there truly a way to go from FC5 to FC10 via yum, or do I have to install from the DVD?

And that's another thing: I've burned FC10 ppc installer to the DVD. Can't I install from that while running FC5? Or fdo I have to boot from it? Which, I'm guessing, needs to be done from the boot menu, which seems impossible on the PS3.

I originally tried installing FC10 from the DVD after booting from the otheros.bld and otheros.self files, but they never recognised the DVD, said it wasn't the installer DVD. I'm guessing the otheros.self and otheros.bld files have to be up-to-date to recognise FC10? In which case, I'll try and use petitloader...

Anyway, what a ramble! Any help appreciated.
Old 12th February 2009, 02:17 PM
dr_faulk Offline

Okay...

I read corey's update on this. He's using the petitboot loader. I'll give that a go, again. (It didn't work last time - after renaming it to otheros.bld and installing via PS3 menu, it only gives me the commands "linux", "linux32" and "linux64", all of which froze the machine. =( )
Old 10th February 2009, 06:25 AM
demosuzki Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyfarkas View Post
**[EDIT on 02.09.09]**
What is wrong with the partitions the PS3 made and how come Fedora install cannot recognize them.
i think this refers to new partitions *inside* the partition the ps3 made for linux/otheros and is OK.
i just accepted the defaults with no problem
Old 16th February 2009, 01:45 PM
dr_faulk Offline

Cripes. Petitboot doesn't recognise the FC10 install DVD. I give up. I managed to get CLI Debian working okay, but not with GNOME. It's all I need for now.

Thanks for the help. =)
Old 26th February 2009, 03:09 PM
starstatras Offline

I recommend gentoo on ps3, its much easier to set up (than on pc)
Last fedora i tried on it was 6 or 7 and it was very slow in comparison
Old 26th February 2009, 04:16 PM
dr_faulk Offline

Thanks, starstatras. I actually managed to get CLI Debian installed, which runs quite well. (I get massive stack errors when trying to boot into the GUI, and then it totally borks).

I'm trying to compile Handbrake from source on it, and I've gotten somewhere with it. Any dependencies were resolved by manually getting them through 'aptitude', but now I'm stuck on a libc error (something about a confusion between gcc and g++).

It's a different topic (and distrubtion), so I'll shut up, now. =D
Old 26th February 2009, 05:24 PM
starstatras Offline

Its a while since i installed it but I have a GUI, Gnome, running and it seems quite fast (i think it installed by default? cant quite remember).
Whatever it was it must have been quite simple since it works now. (already gave up on the wireless)
I didnt really bother using it since my tv had a horrid resolution but now I have HD im going to try and get it to a better setting.
Anyway if Debian runs good and your happy with it no point switching anyway.
Old 26th February 2009, 07:42 PM
dr_faulk Offline

Ha!

Well, I'm a sucker for punishment! =D I've already been struggling with eeebuntu on an Acer Aspire One with dodgey wireless firmware (I suspect). Who knows. I might even blindfold myself and chop off a few fingers, just to make it more fun!

Tags
fedora, fedora 10, installation, playstation, playstation 3