Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 4th February 2009, 01:17 AM
Frann S Offline

Smile New Member and F11-KDE 4.2

Hello Folks,
Just thought I would say Hy to all.I have just installed F11 with KDE 4.2,I used the update option in yast F10.The update went well,however I had to do a cold reboot to get everything working with the new Kernal and KDE.So far so good,no problems.I am a recent migrant from XP 64,and have been playing around with various Distros for the last 2 months,but I kept coming back to Fedora as I like to be in control of my Hardware,and now I can install F11,well I suppose that was the decider for me.
My overall immpression is very good,I think KDE 4.2 is excellent and the upcoming Fedora 11 just as good,so I am done testing distros and will keep this on now.I am by no means a Linux Guru and am still in the learning stage,but did start with DOS 6.2 and Win3.11.So very Computer aware and build my own.Anyway heres my spec if it can help someone else,
Gigabyte MA770 DS3 AM2+, AMD 6000+x64@3.1, 4gig Elixir DDR2@800, 3x250g Hitachi HD set in LVM-Sata 2, Radeon 3870 Pci from Powercolour, plusvarious other bits as add ons and plugins.Thats about it guys,Many thanks for a great OS and I hope the esscence of Open source will always be what it is'Freedom'.
Old 4th February 2009, 01:27 AM
Wayne

F11 has not been released yet. In fact, the Alpha has not even been released! If you have problems you should file bug reports to the Fedora project rather than ask for support here. If you want help then install the currently supported version, which is F10. The pre-alpha is very buggy!

Wayne
Old 4th February 2009, 01:29 AM
Demz

remember there's no YaSt in Fedora, its all yum however welcome to the forum, hopefully Fedora11 is just as good as Fedora10 but IMO there aint much differences between fedora10 an 11

you can talk about Fedora11 in this sub-forum but as Wayne has said dont expect any support for it till its final
Old 13th February 2009, 02:10 AM
marko Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
remember there's no YaSt in Fedora, its all yum however welcome to the forum, hopefully Fedora11 is just as good as Fedora10 but IMO there aint much differences between fedora10 an 11
I see some big differences:

1) F11 Alpha boots and shuts down way faster than Fedora 10 ever did for me.
2) better support of ext4
3) power management works better on my Sony Vaio than with F10 (suspend AND hibernation working) I think I only had hibernation with F10
Old 4th February 2009, 02:48 AM
Frann S Offline

Thanks for the info Guys,I do understand the perils of using'Test' software,so I wont expect any support as such,hopefully I wont need any,as at the moment I am finding it extreamly stable.I was able to install it through Yum very easily,just select Developers as well.It took a bit of time as it updates to KDE 4.1.4 first,then carries on into overwriting it with KDE 4.2,and also installs the new Kernal at the same time,I think it was RC3.Anyway I am pleased with the end result,and to anyone else thinking of it,I do advocate'Use at your own Risk'.As soon as the Official Disk is released I will be downloading it thats for sure,I may even try compiling my own Kernal like in the earlier days eventually.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:51 AM
Demz

bare in mind, the Beta will be somewhat different from the Alpha, but if you could file as many Bugs it would help to make Fedora11 rock solid an you may wanna join the devel mailing list, which im sure i have a link in my sig to Fedora test List in my sig, click on that an join it
Old 4th February 2009, 02:59 AM
Wayne

Please be sure to report any bugs you find and have fun with it

Wayne
Old 4th February 2009, 03:01 AM
Frann S Offline

I am enabled by default to automatically send bug reports back to the Fedora Project ect.I dont class myself as a Beta Tester,though I have done it with Windows before.I will consider it anyway.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:06 AM
Demz

if you wanna know how to report bugs in bugzilla http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report

Tags
f11kde, member