Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th December 2008, 09:38 PM
Flintstone Offline

Unhappy Fedora 10 on PS3 - No "complete" internet connection

Hi

I am trying to get Fedora 10 running on my PS3. The default install worked fine but I do not have a "complete" internet connection ... I can ping google.com and the ip address resolves fine but yum update produces an error and browsing any website produces a 404 error.

There is no proxy configured (I have a direct connection) and I am more than frustrated. Does anybody have any ideas?

Here are my steps so far:
Opening firefox produced an 404 error and an SELinux alert. I disabled SELinux, allowing it to relabel the disk, disabled my firewall and rebooted but the issues remained (without an SELinux alert).

# ping google.com
PING google.com (72.14.205.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from qb-in-f100.google.com (72.14.205.100): icmp_seq=1 ttl=238 time=125 ms
64 bytes from qb-in-f100.google.com (72.14.205.100): icmp_seq=2 ttl=238 time=123 ms

# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...ra-10&arch=ppc error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# PS3 Device (sb_04)
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:19:c5:5a:cc:0e
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Ethernet
PEERDNS=yes

#ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:195:5AC:0E
inet addr:192.168.1.105 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::219:c5ff:fe5a:cc0e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4260 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4054 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:265418 (259.1 KiB) TX bytes:775341 (757.1 KiB)
Interrupt:51

Any ideas?
Old 11th December 2008, 10:47 PM
Flintstone Offline

Okay, I now have Firefox working. I had to go into about:config and change network.dns.disableIPV6 to true.

Yum update still gives the following though:
# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...ra-10&arch=ppc error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

Any ideas?
Old 18th December 2008, 02:43 PM
warkbt Offline

I dunno if this will work but try adding some other repositories, like:

rpm -Uvh http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/...ble.noarch.rpm http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/...ble.noarch.rpm
Old 21st December 2008, 06:34 PM
john.leonard Offline

I had the same problem. I needed to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add appropriate namesever commands.
Old 21st December 2008, 10:13 PM
warkbt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.leonard View Post
I had the same problem. I needed to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add appropriate namesever commands.
In that file I only have this:

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 200.49.130.24
nameserver 200.49.130.25
nameserver 200.49.130.33
# NOTE: the libc resolver may not support more than 3 nameservers.
# The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
nameserver 172.20.2.11

and it works.

May I ask you a silly question, why ruin a dedicated console (perfect for running games, however the removed compatibility with PS2 makes me mad, damn Sony) just for run linux, don't you have pc?

Regards
KBT
Old 1st February 2009, 03:30 PM
John0619 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkbt View Post
In that file I only have this:

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 200.49.130.24
nameserver 200.49.130.25
nameserver 200.49.130.33
# NOTE: the libc resolver may not support more than 3 nameservers.
# The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
nameserver 172.20.2.11

and it works.

May I ask you a silly question, why ruin a dedicated console (perfect for running games, however the removed compatibility with PS2 makes me mad, damn Sony) just for run linux, don't you have pc?
You're not really ruining the PS3. No matter what you do, The XMB cannot be deleted by 'otheros'. The actual PS3 XMB OS actually only allows dualboot between XMB and another PPC OS, you can't actually dedicate a full Linux PS3.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:59 PM
warkbt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by John0619 View Post
You're not really ruining the PS3. No matter what you do, The XMB cannot be deleted by 'otheros'. The actual PS3 XMB OS actually only allows dualboot between XMB and another PPC OS, you can't actually dedicate a full Linux PS3.
Well that nice, I don't have the PS3 but I will have it after the next week. And is nice to know that XMB can't be deleted (it seems that is not on the main hard-disk). Could you post a photo of fedora on PS3 to see the amount of processors and ram , etc? what would you recommend for PS3 fedora-ppc with gnome or KDE? (In my machine I have with KDE but all effects start working fine after I install drives of video-card, I don't know if its posible to use PS3 graphical hard with fedora).

Regards
KBT
Old 6th February 2009, 11:33 PM
Jake Offline

Just to let you guys know. The Main PS3 OS (XMB) Cannot be removed, simply because it is stored on a chip, which is designed for the XMB Only. which is why you can take a HDD out, put a new one in format the HDD etc etc without loosing the XMB.

Though I have not installed any OS's on my almost 2 year old 60GB ps3.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 7th February 2009, 11:44 PM
John0619 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkbt View Post
Well that nice, I don't have the PS3 but I will have it after the next week. And is nice to know that XMB can't be deleted (it seems that is not on the main hard-disk). Could you post a photo of fedora on PS3 to see the amount of processors and ram , etc? what would you recommend for PS3 fedora-ppc with gnome or KDE? (In my machine I have with KDE but all effects start working fine after I install drives of video-card, I don't know if its posible to use PS3 graphical hard with fedora).
On the PS3 the video card is disabled by Sony. I think the video card is called Graphics Synthesizer, and sorry I don't think Beryl or Compiz will work.

As for the graphical interface, well pretty much PPC only comes with Gnome but KDE can be installed later on when you have Fedora installed... But I recommend Gnome on PS3 due to better performance. (i love KDE, but it'll perform badly when KDE is the desktop).

Also I recommend Fedora 7 over 8,9,10,6 and 5 because here are the problems I've faced with the versions above and below

8 & 9: Deregistered my USB inputs when booted into desktop (Can't move mouse and can't type)

10: Deregistered USB inputs at first boot, when accessed wifi doesn't work

5 & 6: Just plain too complicated (for me) to tweak and install.

And the pictures, I'll be right back. (I have to reinstall F7 since F10 doesn't look well)
Old 19th January 2009, 09:01 PM
mamalino Offline

Hey Flintstone-
I had exactly the same problem as you, but on my Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P. The Fedora 10 install went fine, but on the first boot, Firefox didn't work and neither did yum. (No other applications needing the internet worked either) Strangely, pings to outside servers (like google.com) worked. I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong. Also strangely, your hint about disabling IPv6 in Firefox got me web access again. I don't pretend to understand these things... Finally I found the answer on the Unofficial Fedora FAQ here. I just restarted on the Live CD to make sure that this was what actually worked and not something else I did, and this is it. No need to disable IPv6 in Firefox or do anything else. I hope this helps someone!
Thanks

Tags
ps3 f10