Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2008, 02:16 AM
Adamantus Offline

Trying to install Fedora 9, can't enter GUI install + no driver found

First things first, I just bought a new laptop (HP dv5, AMD 64 Turion X2) and had Ubuntu on it. It actually took me a while to get Ubuntu installed for some reason or another and was only able to finally install it with unetbootin. It wasn't working well so I wanted to try another distro.

I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a magazine with Fedora 9 boot CD in it. Since I have a 64 bit system, I used the 64 bit install disk. When I boot up, it brings me to the initial screen and I choose a graphical install. It shows some loading sequences and then finally gets to something saying libata loaded and stays there for about 3 minutes. After that, it goes to a screen asking me for my language, keyboard layout, and then whether I'm loading from CD, hard disk, URL, etc. I say CD and it can't find a driver.

It then says I can choose from a list of drivers, but I'm not sure which one I should choose (there's around 100). One thing that was weird is that it's not really a GUI that I go through. The things asking me for my language and keyboard layout are simply blue boxes (not really graphical). This was the same problem I was having with Ubuntu. What's the problem?

Edit: I tried, just for kicks, seeing if I clicked that I was installing from the hard drive, and it said that "there doesn't seem to be any hard drives on your system". WHat could this mean?

Last edited by Adamantus; 9th November 2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:46 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Exactly what graphics hardware is on this thing? Chipset, that is?

The "blue and red" boxes are called "ncurses" and is a fancy text-mode interface.

I wouldn't worry about the HDD thing at the moment. Probably just hasn't loaded the libata driver at that point.

V
Old 9th November 2008, 02:58 AM
Adamantus Offline

It is an ATI Radeon 3200
Old 9th November 2008, 03:14 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Well, that chipset indeed appears to be not yet supported by the open-source drivers that come with Fedora. You'll have to try the ATI FGLRX proprietary driver. There's a HUGE thread going on about it - they just came out with REV. 8.543 which supports F9's X11R7.4/Xorg-1.5, but it requires some goofing around to work. Search for that thread, look towards the last few pages.

In the meantime, try installing and select the generic VESA driver when it asks. At least you might get a functional GUI to work with from there.

V
Old 9th November 2008, 04:02 AM
Adamantus Offline

There's no generic vesa driver. Would low-level for ATI IXP200/300/400 or low level for Generica ATA work?
Old 9th November 2008, 05:20 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I doubt that "ATI IXP200/300/400" would work, but you can try if you want. The "Generic ATA" sounds odd, but may be a better option. There's only one way to find out....

Whether or not one of those (or some other option) works at all, you are almost certainly better off in the end trying the ATI FGLRX driver.

V
Old 9th November 2008, 06:33 AM
Adamantus Offline

I tried both the Generic ATA and the ATI one and neither worked. How would I go about choosing the ATI FGLRX? I didn't see anything like that in the list.
Old 9th November 2008, 04:23 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantus View Post
I tried both the Generic ATA and the ATI one and neither worked. How would I go about choosing the ATI FGLRX? I didn't see anything like that in the list.
No - and it never will be. The proprietary ATI FGLRX driver must be gotten from some 3rd-party. JohnVV has given the link to the thread with all the details. Try the stuff there, post back here (or there) if you get stuck. beaulieu57 has also given some good info on how to proceed with an installation (text-mode only, though - no GUI until you get the FGLRX driver working).

V

Last edited by Hlingler; 9th November 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 9th November 2008, 07:50 AM
JohnVV Offline

Quote:
ATI FGLRX?
the thread that Hlingler is talking about is
" Fedora 9 (F9) and ATI ( fglrx ) with working OpenGL!" in the How Too's
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=189227
also the NEW drivers from ati do not require you to downgrade fedora 9's xorg

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 9th November 2008, 09:27 AM
beaulieu57 Offline

ATI Radeon

Fedora has quite some problems with this kind of graphic cards. The problem is that it is a hurdle for people trying the distribution out. My experience with a low level Radeon X550 almost made me give up.

A normal way to see if the distribution fits your machine is to use the so called Live CD, so I tried 9.0. Result: Black screen, nothing. The 10.0 PR live CD. Same problem. Manual editing the boot instruction (adding vesa as mentioned in another post). No joy. After booting the Live CD you can try ctrl-alt-F2 to get a login screen. Either as user fedora or root it is possible to log in. The distribution works, it's just the graphic card. I assume most people won't go further than this, since /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't seem to exist on a live CD and working in text mode isn't really my thing.

Just for fun I tried a real install (I have a broadband connection with a high data limit). Some screens down the line (still in low resolution) the installation was done, it asked for a reboot.
A black screen, as usual. NOW, in a real installation, you can find the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Opening it with the nano text editor I saw the installed driver was “radeon”, seems ok, but since it doesn' work I replaced it with “vesa”. Then, go to the graphic screen, do ctrl-alt-BS (for backspace), the X restarts, and you get a graphic login. And yes, it works just fine.

Now, the difference is that my X550 card was recognized and the (not-working) “radeon” driver was supplied during installation. So somehow you need to get past that point and complete the installation. Then, you boot from the hard disk getting possibly a black screen. Afterwards you can correct anything you want. Including the fgrlx driver that is not provided on the CD you posses. You mentioned 100+ drivers. Did you scroll to the end and look at anything like “radeon”, or “vesa” (without generic)?

As mentioned, Fedora seems more “sensitive” than other distributions like Ubuntu or openSUSE. Once started, differences are minimal: distributions are converging, and the choice is a matter of personal preferences. But stories like this one are what gives linux a bad reputation.

Tags
driver, enter, fedora, gui, install