Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st October 2008, 05:10 PM
LeFou Offline

Connection dying, coming back to life every couple minutes.

Today my NetworkManager (0.7.0) started dropping its connection every couple of minutes. It reconnects again immediately, but its quite annoying.

Though I've had intermittent problems with NM before, this laptop (F9) has been successfully holding its connection with this card and this router for 6-8 weeks now; I did a yum upgrade yesterday and that's about when the latest round of quirks began
Old 31st October 2008, 07:12 PM
LBCoder Offline

You sure its not just the wire? I've been in hotels with bad plugs that caused this problem.
Old 31st October 2008, 07:20 PM
mndar Offline

If the IP is being assigned via DHCP you could try using a static IP. Might help
Old 26th May 2011, 10:54 AM
sainadh6414 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Connection dying, coming back to life every couple minutes.

Hi,

While i was using Fedora 13, i have faced a problem with Network Connections. I usually download torrents by waking up the system over night. Fedora automatically disconnects the network connection after a stipulated time though my downloads were running. I tried to change the settings of idle timeout/power settings and other stuff, but nothing works. To over come this problem i have installed Fedora 14, and again i am facing this problem. Can anyone help me out in overcoming the automatic discconection ?? Thanks in advance.

Sainadh.
Old 26th May 2011, 01:22 PM
December Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You should probably you should start a new thread, not zombie one from nearly 3 years ago, this thread was for Fedora 9!

.. as to your problem, can you provide more info. Wired or wireless? What hardware (from a terminal you can type "lspci" and "lsusb" to see a list of all the hardware on your system, which will include the network adapters). Which software are you using to manage connections?
Old 26th May 2011, 01:43 PM
sainadh6414 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Dear December,

Yes, i have started a new thread.. But i did not get a reply from weeks. So i had to post in place where the discussion was happening, but i did not check the date (My mistake ). And the Network Controller i use a Gigabit ethernet controller which is displayed as eth0 by default and the software that manages the network connections is the Network Manager.

Thanks for reply,

Regards,
Sainadh.
Old 26th May 2011, 02:34 PM
December Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Do you know the model of the ethernet controller? If not, open a terminal and type "lspci" (for a PCI network card) or "lsusb" (for a USB one) therein you will see the actual model number of the network card, it should look something like this:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

It could be a driver problem, once you know the name of the card you can check the forums to see if anyone else using the same hardware has that problem and if it was solved, or someone else here might know more about it.

Also, are you using DHCP or a Static IP address? Maybe it could be a DHCP problem..if you are on DHCP, and have the option to try it, might be worth setting a static IP instead and seeing if the problems still occurs.

Last edited by December; 26th May 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Tags
coming, connection, couple, dying, life, minutes