Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th June 2008, 06:30 PM
Nick Levinson Offline

JRE 1.6.0u5 vs. FC4/SELinux

JRE, Java Runtime Environment, and Fedora Core 4 with SELinux don't mix. JRE is version 1.6.0 update 5 and was from Sun Microsystems' web.

I'm just reporting this as info.

Last straw that convinced me to uninstall JRE: I tried to attach to an email in Yahoo in Firefox 1.0.4. I pointed to the 3 files on my local flash with no problem. When I clicked a button to attach them, the browser disappeared from desktop and panel without a warning. Before that, enabling JavaScript in Firefox for Yahoo email pages had a similar effect, so I usually disabled JavaScript.

Before installing JRE, enabling JavaScript and Java wasn't a problem with FC4. It was often a bad idea for untrusted websites, but okay for good sites. It's not okay even for good sites once JRE is in place.

Taking up the Java offer to test my installation by following their test link made the browser promptly disappear.

Turning off SELinux's Enforcing is necessary for installing JRE, although the JRE instructions don't say so. (Perhaps a certain SELinux configuration is allowable during the install but I don't know what that is and it probably isn't one of the 2 main defaults.) (Rebooting is not necessary to turn Enforcing off (to Permissive); OK'ing the dialog is enough.) Whether all that means Enforcing has to be kept off to use JRE is something I don't know and I'm unwilling to test it online.

I'm planning to install OpenOffice.org 2.4 without JRE, if I can. If I can't, I'll stay with old OOo (2.0 Beta = 1.9.104) until I decide to upgrade Linux to a distro with a newer OOo included.

Both JRE and FC have been updated: JRE to update 6 and FC as announced.

Why this JRE and this Linux conflicted, I don't know.

--
Nick

Tags
fc4 or selinux, jre