Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2008, 09:32 PM
richmitc Offline

Fedora 9 Upgrade on eMachines T3104 Problem with Display

I upgraded my eMachines T3104 from Fedora 6 to 9 and had to work though some display problems.

I should have stopped when I could not get the graphic install to work. But NOOOO, I had a full backup so I just thought I would plow ahead with the text install.

After completion, the login screen would display and the system would freeze. After doing a recovery, setting the initdefault in /etc/inittab to 3, looking at the Xorg.0.log, reading this forum and others, and trying several different xorg.conf options, I finally got things to work. Interestingly enough, I got it to work by setting Option "AccelMethod" "EXA".

I got to this solution after discovering that Option "NoAccel" "true" worked. I just thought what can it hurt? Anyway, commenting it out put me back in a hung state. Putting it back in allows me to boot cleanly.

Probably setting the correct XAA option false will also work. However, I don't know how to figure that out without trying one at a time. I could never find anything in /var/log that indicated why the system hung up.

My video card detects as K8M-800M.

I just posted this in case it would help someone else.

Comments welcome.
Old 26th May 2008, 06:30 PM
richmitc Offline

Well....

After coming back to my system twice where it had gone to sleep and would not wake up, I decided to try the using XAA but turning on No options route. Sure enough, if I set all the No options to true, the system will boot. It is better than NoAccel but not much. Here is how the xorg.conf looks now:

Section "Device"
# Option "NoAccel" "true"
# Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "XaaNoCPUToScreenColorExpandFill" "true"
Option "XaaNoColor8x8PatternFillRect" "true"
Option "XaaNoColor8x8PatternFillTrap" "true"
Option "XaaNoDashedBresenhamLine" "true"
Option "XaaNoDashedTwoPointLine" "true"
Option "XaaNoImageWriteRect" "true"
Option "XaaNoMono8x8PatternFillRect" "true"
Option "XaaNoMono8x8PatternFillTrap" "true"
Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "XaaNoPixmapCache" "true"
Option "XaaNoScanLineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill" "true"
Option "XaaNoScanLineImageWriteRect" "true"
Option "XaaNoScreenToScreenColorExpandFill" "true"
Option "XaaNoScreenToScreenCopy" "true"
Option "XaaNoSolidBresenhamLine" "true"
Option "XaaNoSolidFillRect" "true"
Option "XaaNoSolidFillTrap" "true"
Option "XaaNoSolidHorVertLine" "true"
Option "XaaNoSolidTwoPointLine" "true"
Option "AGPMem" "131072"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "openchrome"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter"
EndSection

I am going to let the system go to sleep now and see if I can wake it up. If that works, I guess I will set all the Xaa No options false except one and reboot. If I can log in, I will move on. Otherwise, I will reset and try the next option. Of course, it is likely some combination of options. If anyone has a good idea of which Xaa No options might be the right ones, please advise. Also, if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:58 AM
richmitc Offline

Option "XaaNoImageWriteRect" "true"

Was the one. I have commented the rest out. It is booted and fine so far.
Old 2nd September 2008, 04:43 PM
srinivasasha Offline

thank you richmitc i have searching for this for some time now. this works fine for me.

Tags
display, emachines, fedora, problem, t3104, upgrade