Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th November 2007, 11:54 AM
chrisb99 Offline

modprobe.conf query

I am linux user of 3 days and am pleased so far. However, I have a slight concern with the modprobe.conf file. I had no sound on my Lenovo laptop and following a post I found on the web, I edited this config file to specify "lenovo" for the soundacard. This did not appear to help but on re-opening the config file to check the details, it was blank! After a reboot, the sound worked, even though the config file was empty.
From what I recall there were just aliases and options in the config file which reading around I guess probably aren't required, but I would be grateful if someone would confirm that a blank file is o.k. or whether I might run into future problems and that there is something I should add to it.
As an asside, my next task will be wireless networking. I will obviosuly read up on this through the networking section of theis site as WPA_Supplicant and NdsiWrapper mean pretty much nothing to me at the moment, but if anyone has a good link handy on setting wifi up (particularly for a linksys wag200g) that would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 14th November 2007, 02:40 PM
AlexDudko Offline

What post? And why modprobe.conf? This file is usually used to create aliases - alternate names for modules and some other options, related with them. How does it affect sound?
Old 14th November 2007, 03:24 PM
chrisb99 Offline

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=896801
Old 14th November 2007, 04:17 PM
FriedChips Offline

A blank file "shouldn't" hurt anything. Basically modprobe.conf is used to assign modules to devices. For instance for your first wireless device it would normally be wlan0, if you are using ndiswrapper for the driver ( module ), you should have:
Code:
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
in your modprobe.conf. So when it goes to activate your wireless it will see that entry and load ndiswrapper. If all of you hardware is still functioning correctly right now, I would say that you are fine. Possibly you just didn't get it saved right. You didn't use vi did you? I like nano as a cli text editor as opposed to vi. If you are in gui than use gedit.

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate

Tags
modprobeconf, query