Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2007, 06:34 PM
vavhab Offline

[SOLVED] Fedora 7 - RAID-1 with one hard drive

Hi!

I want to install fc7 on sw raid1 with one hdd, i did it with debian several times. But the installer doesn't allow it to me.
I tired an another way, before the partitioning step,(type alt+f2) i created the raid arrays and i formatted the raid devices(md0, md1)
But after this i cant allocate the / and /home mount points.
Any idea how can i pass through the partitioning step and allocate the mountpoint.

(my english is really bad, sorry fot this)

Last edited by vavhab; 11th October 2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: solved the problem
Old 11th October 2007, 05:25 PM
vavhab Offline

I solved the problem. Anybody interested in the solution?
Old 11th October 2007, 10:24 PM
micagreenmachin Offline

Just curious... Why would you want to RAID1 one drive???
Old 12th October 2007, 12:53 AM
vavhab Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by micagreenmachin
Just curious... Why would you want to RAID1 one drive???
Few days ago, i was hdd fault in my server, and i had only one hdd, i had to reinstall the system immediately. Ofcourse i need raid, but as i said i had only one disk at that time. I reinstalled the system with one disk with raid1.Today i bought a second drive, and i put in the maschine, after this i just synced the disks. Now i had a fully functionally raided system.

Last edited by vavhab; 12th October 2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12th October 2007, 03:40 PM
micagreenmachin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavhab
Few days ago, i was hdd fault in my server, and i had only one hdd, i had to reinstall the system immediately. Ofcourse i need raid, but as i said i had only one disk at that time. I reinstalled the system with one disk with raid1.Today i bought a second drive, and i put in the maschine, after this i just synced the disks. Now i had a fully functionally raided system.
Ok, that makes sense...
Old 11th October 2007, 10:42 PM
daverj Offline

ditto. RAID1 on one drive is silly, (unless, of course, you are just learning how to use raid). It may provide mirroring, but since it is on the same drive, it is worthless. Also, disc reads won't be a problem, but disc writes will be more expensive.

davidj
Old 12th October 2007, 03:50 PM
pparks1 Offline

Technically you just built a machine and configured RAID, it was just configured in a broken raid state. Gotcha.

It was confusing reading RAID1 on one hard drive...that just isn't possible and obviously provides no benefit.

For testing how SW raid works, I suggest using VMWare and configuring multiple hard drives. Gives you a nice simple, and fast way to built RAID arrays, simulate failures etc.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 12th October 2007, 04:51 PM
vavhab Offline

))

Thx for tips, i'm using sw raid about 4-5 years, i just simply wonderind, i cant install fedora with raid1 and one hard drive.
Just read my previous post, that is explain my plain.
Old 10th January 2009, 07:11 PM
jcks32ml Offline

Hello vavhab
I'm interested about the solution you find to install fedora only with 1 Hard Drive with RAID1 just temporary before having my second drive.
Many thanks for your help.
Old 10th January 2009, 07:52 PM
vavhab Offline

Hi jcks32ml!

You're lucky because I have a blog post about this, http://www.motd.hu/?p=90 , unfortunatelly its hungarian, so you have to learn this language.
Just kidding!
So, just a quick overview in english:

I modified the anaconda installer. On the installer disk u cand find a file, called stage2.img
If u mount this image( mount -o loop -t squashfs stage2.img /mnt/iso ), u will find the following file, raid.py
Firstly u have to copy the content of the stage2.img to an another location(the mounted squashfs is read only). After you copied the content of the stage2.img to the another location, you can modify the raid.py
There is a defined function in this file in the 174th row called get_raid_min_members()
I modified the isRaid1() return value to 1 from 2
Here is en example:

def get_raid_min_members(raidlevel):
"""Return the minimum number of raid members required for raid level"""
if isRaid0(raidlevel):
return 2
elif isRaid1(raidlevel):
return 1
elif isRaid5(raidlevel):
return 3
elif isRaid6(raidlevel):
return 4
elif isRaid10(raidlevel):
return 4
else:
raise ValueError, "invalid raidlevel in get_raid_min_members"

I saved the file and i created a new stage2.img (mksquashfs . ~/stage2.img), for this u need the squashfs-tools package.
Copy all of the content of the installer disk to an anothe rlocation, replace the stage2.img with the custom created one, and created an iso file(mkisofs -o ~/fc7.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -J -R -V "Custom Fedora")

It's worked for me, I think you want to install fedora 10 and not fedora 7, u can try it with f10, i'm not quarantee it will work. Maybe, i'm almost sure there was lots of changes in the anaconda installer, i did it with fedora 7 about 4 years ago.
Dont forget, this is just a workaround, the best way if u buy a 2nd disk before the install. I know in an emergency situation maybe this is not possible, thats was happened to me.

Last edited by vavhab; 10th January 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10th January 2009, 10:06 PM
jcks32ml Offline

vavhab
Many thanks for your quick answer !

I will check that.
Thanks
Old 11th January 2009, 06:01 PM
vavhab Offline

As I said there was lots of changes in the anaconda installer so maybe u have to modify more files. I dont know. If u're familiar with python u can find it out.

Tags
drive, fedora, hard, raid1